Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Do you speed? [40-Tude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
40-Tude wrote:
Incidentally if you are in the middle lane, but still *noticeably slower* than the flow, you are forcing faster traffic behind you to pass both on the left and right side, which is less safe than disciplined passes only on left. Slower traffic keep right also means slower traffic keep right(most). The slowest trucks know this and keep rightmost. And note, they are also professional drivers.

About obeying speed limits, you wrote, "F*** those who choose not to", implies you take it on yourself to enforce the speed limit for others by parking yourself in the left lane. If that's a misinterpretation and you're not parking yourself in the left lane then things may be all right (pun intended).

The implication was that I will drive safely and legally. If I'm not passing or preparing to turn left, I'm in the rightmost travel lane. Period. Always. If I'm going 65 in a 65 zone and there is a car in the rightmost lane ahead of me going 60, I'm going to move into the passing lane and continue going 65 until I am past the slower car. F*** those behind me in the passing lane who are speeding. Got that?

NJ law says that if there is an emergency vehicle on the shoulder (or even in a travel lane), you are required to either a) slow down to 25mph or b) move to a further travel lane. Which is safer, in your opinion, on the Parkway? What happens when I'm going 65 in the rightmost lane and there's a police car with flashing lights ahead on the shoulder, and everyone in the middle lane is going 80? Whose fault is that?

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Do you speed? [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
SWEDE63 wrote:
j p o wrote:
SWEDE63 wrote:
klehner wrote:
SDG wrote:
Not politically related but curious about driving habits. I tend to drive like an old lady when in my large suv's as I am not in a hurry, don't want to be involved in any accidents, and it's just less stressful not to have to worry about if cops are around.

However, I recently purchased a new sportbike motorcycle and now drive like a bat out of hell on that thing. I find myself often about 30 to 40 mph over the speed limit on the highways as these machines are truly marvels of engineering and capable of incredible performance. I plan to take it to a track where I am not on public roads so speed limits don't apply, but often do ride on the streets and highways.

When going this fast, there is one of two options if a cop is near. Stop when he pulls you over and most likely lose your license and have your bike impounded or run from the cops. In my college days I also rode and was not adverse to running from cops on occassion but that was more of the adrenaline junkie stuff.

What type of habits do you have with regard to speed limits?

I obey the speed limits. I also give the finger to those assholes, especially those who ride sport bikes, who do speed and put others at risk.

I try to stay within 5 mph of the speed limit, so I speed but at a reasonable limit. Although I have no love loss for sport bikes, the ones that piss me off are the ones when traffic is backed up decide they will go down the middle of cars to pass everyone.

If you live in Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Montana, or Utah it is perfectly legal and allowed. Has always seemed a little risky to me if traffic is moving at all since one lane change ruins your whole day.

Yes, I was referencing California when I lived out that way. I knew it was legal but still pissed me off, plus it seemed super dangerous.

Reason why it's allowed as many motorcycles do not cool the engine well if not moving,leading to ovreheating. Plus,yes they should be rewarded to pass vs people in cars driving solo. Crying about traffic? YOU are the traffic!

Anyways since we are on a tri forum, I would hope all have good driving habits unlike SDG. Ina motor vehicle I tend to go same speed as the traffic.

If I don't have good riding abilities you will soon know it with the speeds I have been doing lately. If I don't post for a few weeks it maybe that my abilities let me down. Damn Rocketship that bike is.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you speed? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
What *I* would do in these circumstances does nothing to address the simple fact that the hazard created by cars of different speeds is the fault of the speeding cars.

Or by cars going notably under the speed limit. You can have 99% of vehicles going bang-on 65 in a 65 (LOL I know) and the 1% going 50 are the ones creating the hazard.

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Re: Do you speed? [SDG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to bc I was always running late but I made a goal this year of showing up for stuff on time with a little cushion. I didn't want to be the "always shows up late" one anymore. So now no, not usually, and if I do it's only 2-5 mph over.

I'm also pretty terrified of getting a ticket so no more than 5 mph over

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Do you speed? [40-Tude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
40-Tude wrote:
Tri2HaveFun wrote:
I set my cruise control at the speed limit. Then I don’t have to even look at the speedometer. Modern vehicles have the tools to keep us from harming ourselves or others. All we have to do is use the tools.

It's a speed differential that creates a potentially harmful situation.

If you've locked your cruise control at 55, and traffic is flowing at 65-70 (not unusual), you're creating a hazard. And if you're parked in the left-lane cruising at 55, and generally not paying attention to your gauges, that's a dangerous situation you're creating.

Hopefully, you're generally keeping to the right at 55.

I do keep to the right on multi lane roads. Highway speed limit through the city is 65, rural areas is 75.

I use cruise control on city streets. Speed limit is 30, I go 30. On one of my neighborhood streets the limit is 30 and most people are going anywhere from 40-50. I don’t know what the rush is because these people will be stopped at multiple traffic lights within a mile. Speed to the light, wait, then speed to the next light and wait. Makes no sense.

Don

Tri-ing to have fun. Anything else is just a bonus!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you happen to be riding on I-40 through Arkansas recently?

Quote Reply
Re: Do you speed? [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Helpful tip. Skip to about 7:30. The rest is boring....also the "clever" way to stop the motorcyclist was apparently if he's using the right breakdown lane to speed past traffic, park a cruiser across the breakdown lane.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you speed? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was actually surprised that they bothered chasing him. They stopped doing that a long time ago in California. You still get the occasional high speed chase, but they have to have more of a reason than a speeding ticket. The Arkansas state troopers apparently have no qualms about recklessly endangering the public to get their man.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you speed? [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
torrey wrote:
I was actually surprised that they bothered chasing him. They stopped doing that a long time ago in California. You still get the occasional high speed chase, but they have to have more of a reason than a speeding ticket. The Arkansas state troopers apparently have no qualms about recklessly endangering the public to get their man.

I thought the trooper cutting across the median and then across lanes of traffic to block the breakdown lane was a bit risky too. Just takes one inattentive driver as traffic is slowing to rear end someone, and now you've got another problem.

Would have been easier to follow the motorcyclist via chopper, but I suppose they don't do that anymore either.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you speed? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
slowguy wrote:
klehner wrote:
40-Tude wrote:
klehner wrote:
40-Tude wrote:
Tri2HaveFun wrote:
I set my cruise control at the speed limit. Then I don’t have to even look at the speedometer. Modern vehicles have the tools to keep us from harming ourselves or others. All we have to do is use the tools.

It's a speed differential that creates a potentially harmful situation.

If you've locked your cruise control at 55, and traffic is flowing at 65-70 (not unusual), you're creating a hazard.

You're kidding, right? Someone doing the speed limit (note the word "limit") is a hazard to those people speeding? Do you also blame sexual assault victims for drinking at a bar, or for wearing attractive clothing?

Sigh. No, I don't blame sexual assault victims for being assaulted. That has nothing to do with the topic of driving.

Yes, someone doing 55 when that is clearly no longer appropriate for conditions (car capabilities, highway design, etc.) and when the flow of traffic is 70+ *is* creating a dangerous situation.

The only conditions for which driving the speed limit is no longer appropriate is when others are breaking the law. It is the people who are breaking the law who are creating a dangerous situation. I can't believe you are arguing otherwise.

(NJ driver for over 40 years. I'll be driving to EWR tonight picking up my daughter from college on the Parkway and the Turnpike, and I'll be going the posted 65mph speed limit. F*** those who choose not to)

Sorry, but strict adherence to a rule that no one else around you is following does not make you the sole virtuous person and everyone else the villain. Part of safe and responsible driving is accounting for all factors in your choice of safe speed. One of those factors is the speed of traffic around you. If you're in the right lane, going the speed limit, you're fine. If you plant yourself in the left lane going the speed limit in a self righteous effort to "block" speeders, then you're not driving safely.

Go back and look at this post. The claim was that those who are driving 65 in a 65mph zone are the hazard: "If you've locked your cruise control at 55, and traffic is flowing at 65-70 (not unusual), you're creating a hazard". Nobody said anything about planting yourself in the passing lanes, did they?

We don't leave it up to individuals to decide that speeding is a "choice of safe speed." At least we are not supposed to. You sound like the choice is either to go with the speeders or get off the road.

I don't know why anyone would disagree with "go with the speeders or get off the road." Move with traffic. If everyone is speeding but you, **you are the hazard**. Glad to hear you keep right at least. There are many YouTube videos of cops pulling people over for going the speed limit in the left lane... You have to adjust to the world you live in and adapt... You and everyone else is safer if you move with traffic.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you speed? [JacobB1111] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JacobB1111 wrote:

I don't know why anyone would disagree with "go with the speeders or get off the road." Move with traffic. If everyone is speeding but you, **you are the hazard**. Glad to hear you keep right at least. There are many YouTube videos of cops pulling people over for going the speed limit in the left lane... You have to adjust to the world you live in and adapt... You and everyone else is safer if you move with traffic.

My 80 year old father has a tendency to drive 55-60 in 70 mph zones. Yes, he is in the right lane, but people come up on him so fast and end up on his ass. He bitches and moans about, "all of these people following me too close...." but he is the issue. People don't expect to encounter someone driving 15 mph below the posted speed. Riding with him is terrifying. Is he a bad driver? Not really. But he's not good either.

My daughter describes his driving like this: he drives 45 no matter what the speed limit is. Speed limit is 30, he's going 45. Speed limit is 70, he's going 45. It's definitely interesting.

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you speed? [JacobB1111] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JacobB1111 wrote:

Poor public policy to have unwritten rules. Either change the speed limit or enforce it.

Fine with increasing it. Here in Nevada we have a section at 80MPH.

Quote:
There are many YouTube videos of cops pulling people over for going the speed limit in the left lane

They are likely not being pulled over for going the speed limit in the left lane, but for not using the left lane as a passing lane.

Last edited by: trail: May 21, 24 8:02
Quote Reply
Re: Do you speed? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or I5 on the weekend after 9AM between San Clemente and Oceanside. Happy to go 10 mph.

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Re: Do you speed? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Poor public policy to have unwritten rules. Either change the speed limit or enforce it.

And yet, that seems to be the case in much of the country. I've lived in New England, the mid-Atlantic coast (and just a bit South of that), Texas, California, and near Seattle, and driven across the country at least 6 times, and nowhere that I drove did it seem like the norm was to drive at or below the speed limit. Some places had normal speeds 5-10 over, some 15 or more, especially in areas where much of traffic move on big multi-lane roads or highway systems (not counting during peak times in traffic jams).

Of course, there are places where driving close to or at the limit is more normal, especially in and around town, residential areas, etc. But the rules of thumb for how much you can drive over the limit without being stopped are pretty ubiquitous. The only places where I have seen highway traffic move generally at speed limit speeds are areas with significant numbers of speed cameras.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Do you speed? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speed cameras is what it would take. When CA put in higher speed limits on the rural interstates they said they would aggressively ticket violators. Didn’t happen. Flow of traffic is 5-10 over the limit.

Drive in any European country with cameras and no one goes over the limit. Changing lanes becomes an extra challenge because everyone is going pretty much the same speed and no one passes on the outside lanes.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you speed? [wannabefaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wannabefaster wrote:
JacobB1111 wrote:

My 80 year old father has a tendency to drive 55-60 in 70 mph zones. Yes, he is in the right lane, but people come up on him so fast and end up on his ass. He bitches and moans about, "all of these people following me too close...." but he is the issue. People don't expect to encounter someone driving 15 mph below the posted speed. Riding with him is terrifying. Is he a bad driver? Not really. But he's not good either.

My daughter describes his driving like this: he drives 45 no matter what the speed limit is. Speed limit is 30, he's going 45. Speed limit is 70, he's going 45. It's definitely interesting.

Your approach to this seems unsafe and unfair. While your father’s seems to be one of safety.

I absolutely expect to find people in the right lane driving slower. Hence why slower traffic keeps right.

Also, often times 15 mph under the limit is the safe limit. Highways will also have minimum speeds. In Florida, 50mph is the posted minimum in 70mph zones.

I can’t fathom a world in which we think someone driving the speed limit or safely under in the right lane is the safety issue.
Everyone else speeding is causing the issue. They are causing the unsafe road conditions in an area where the safe travel speed has already been determined and posted.

To say nothing of the fact that someone who recognizes that a certain speed may be a bit unsafe for them so they choose to drive safely under that limit as legally allowed should be commended. Least we all want to force people to drive beyond their comforts or abilities.

That seems ridiculously narrow minded and unfair to paint your elderly father as the unsafe driver when he chooses to, by your own admission, drive in the right hand lane at a speed that is allowed.

SMH. And we wonder why we have so many accidents. Your user name seems appropriate based on this conversation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, but rarely more than 4 over and almost never over 9 over. Only one red light camera ticket since my DUI in college decades ago. And that was my only ticket before that red light camera one.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you speed? [wannabefaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wannabefaster wrote:
JacobB1111 wrote:

My father in law once drove us to the Denver airport in an old VW bus on a big 4 lane highway. He wasn't in the far right lane and might have been going around 55 mph. I thought for sure we were going to die, basically we were a moving chicane with traffic constantly flowing around us on both sides at much greater speeds. Probably the scariest experience I've ever had in a vehicle.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you speed? [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
wannabefaster wrote:
JacobB1111 wrote:

My father in law once drove us to the Denver airport in an old VW bus on a big 4 lane highway. He wasn't in the far right lane and might have been going around 55 mph. I thought for sure we were going to die, basically we were a moving chicane with traffic constantly flowing around us on both sides at much greater speeds. Probably the scariest experience I've ever had in a vehicle.

This too.

It’s good to know to stay out of the left lane if not passing. But being in the middle lane and going slower than the flow also creates a hazard. Slower drivers may be nervous etc, and so avoid the rightmost lane because traffic merges on and off there, making them even more nervous. So they camp in the middle.
Or worse, they camp in the left at the speed limit and refuse to budge.
Quote Reply

Prev Next