Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Doubts about Kristian [lastlap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lastlap wrote:
kajet wrote:
ecce-homo wrote:
Being able to defy the laws of physics, and killing one of the basic principles of training can never be over-hyped. Over running a faster runner that is 20 kgs thinner in the worst conditions to dissipate heat (very high temp and extremely high humidity) is but one example. Being able to excel at sprint distance and one month later at ironman distance would be another one. Anybody remember when specificity was a key training principle?

Beautiful example of the hype I'm talking about.

Let me stick with the laws of physics.

Laws of physics?? Lol...

So the smallest guy should always win in the heat? Lucky no one ever told Frodo that...

Admire your confidence.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope, you got it all wrong. Frodo is 1'94 and weighs 76kg. KB is 1'77 and weights 76kg. Frodo's body composition is much better suited to race in the heat than KB's body. But it's not only about body composition, Yee is a much better runner than KB, and Tokio was the worst possible place for KB to beat Yee. Yet he beat him with relative ease. Got it now?
Quote Reply
Re: Doubts about Kristian [ecce-homo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ecce-homo wrote:
Nope, you got it all wrong. Frodo is 1'94 and weighs 76kg. KB is 1'77 and weights 76kg. Frodo's body composition is much better suited to race in the heat than KB's body. But it's not only about body composition, Yee is a much better runner than KB, and Tokio was the worst possible place for KB to beat Yee. Yet he beat him with relative ease. Got it now?

You and the other guy really need to get your stories straight. So is he over hyped and not exceptional, or is he something special winning when he shouldnt have, or are you now saying he is so exceptional that he must be doping...?

Sports is full of people who 'should' have won on paper... Plus you are ignoring the obvious elephant in the room of Blus extraordinary body composition-it's very ignorant to just factor in weight without considering where that weight is coming from. I reckon that huge chest cavity is holding a set of huge lungs and heart...

But please, carry on...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KB is over 80kg at the moment.

Olaf mentioned it recently in one of the podcasts, saying it's difficult to lose weight (even non-muscle weight) without losing VO2max. The science isn't clear why it's like that, potentially due to total blood volume or base metabolic rate. Olaf also said he's a performance coach, not trying to sculpture perfect bodies.
Quote Reply
Re: Doubts about Kristian [Michal_CH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Michal_CH wrote:

Olaf mentioned it recently in one of the podcasts, saying it's difficult to lose weight (even non-muscle weight) without losing VO2max. The science isn't clear why it's like that, potentially due to total blood volume or base metabolic rate. Olaf also said he's a performance coach, not trying to sculpture perfect bodies.

Which podcast was that? I dunno, I’ve always been flabbergasted at his apparent size/body comp. If he’s gotten even bigger recently … I guess they know what they’re doing, but I don’t think the guy with the highest vo2 wins automatically. In any case, they said something weird on the Pro Tri News podcast that was just posted, which is that if KB were to get beat by two Norwegians at Cagliari he wouldn’t even be selected for the Olympics. That can’t be right, can it?

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Doubts about Kristian [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's funny how people develop an idea of how performance should look, as if aesthetics mean more than actual results.

Take one of the greatest swimmers ever, Ian Thorpe-the guy would be classified as chubby by triathlon (Slowtwitch...) standards, certainly didn't have a 6 pack... But it worked for Thorpe.

In Blus case part of it is his physiology barrel chest which makes him look 'big', and the other would be in part due to testing as previously pointed out that they have found he performs better this way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not that he looks big, he is more or less the height of Mola or Yee, yet weighs 15 and 20 kg more respectively.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ecce-homo wrote:
It's not that he looks big, he is more or less the height of Mola or Yee, yet weighs 15 and 20 kg more respectively.

And have a look at his side profile and you will get an idea of where that extra weight comes from I reckon. It would be fascinating to see the size of his lungs and heart.. I'd bet they are unnaturally huge!
Quote Reply
Re: Doubts about Kristian [Michal_CH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Michal_CH wrote:

If he really is 80kg just now then it probably explains some of his under par runs.

Arild was never too concerned about an exact number for KB leading into Tokyo, IIRC he stated in a podcast it was a 2kg window. But he was definitely no where near 80kg, I think 74kg rings a bell.

I sometimes wonder if Olav is having too much of an influence in the coaching set up. Arild seemed like the main man from an actual coaching perspective, with Olav a vital sport science resource and Mikel in picture. Not sure what the exact set up is now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
20kg for the lung and the heart! That indeed would be remarkable. Would that include the air inside the lungs?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ecce-homo wrote:
20kg for the lung and the heart! That indeed would be remarkable. Would that include the air inside the lungs?

You said Blu was basically the same height as Lee.... I'm not sure 20cm difference would be classified as 'more or less'..

On top of the height difference Alex is built like a 10 year old boy, I thought this glaringly obvious difference between his build and Blu (ignoring the chest size) would have been a given.

If you are still having trouble understanding how and why Blu is heavier then it's a real worry, beyond my help!
Quote Reply

Prev Next