Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The South is rising again [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
I am about to say something ridiculous, just to REALLY confuse the issue LOL

The Pyramids in Egypt and MesoAmerica, The Great Wall, temples across Asia, and probably many more ancient megastructures were all built using labor from enslaved people (the railroads across the American West came close, but those people weren't exactly enslaved, technically); should we tear them down?

NEVERMIND, that was far more stupid than I imagined

Point of order...the Egyptian Pyramids were most likely not built by slave labor.
Quote Reply
Re: The South is rising again [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
I have a hard time buying the heritage not hate argument based on my experience. I don't doubt there are some folks out there that feel that way, but based on the people I grew up around southern pride and hate or at least some level of racism went hand in hand.

It is so obviously hate. Longstreet was one of the most important generals in the confederate army. Yet you don’t see all sorts of statues and schools named after him. Yet, they incompetent generals and others are celebrated everywhere.

So why not Longstreet. Because after the was Longstreet accepted the loss and embraced the blacks as equal citizens to whites. He led the New Orleans integrated police force and fought white supremacists that were trying to keep blacks from voting on multiple occasions.

George Henry Thomas was an incredibly important and successful general during the civil war and from Virginia. Why does he not have all sorts of statues in Virginia? Was it because he stayed loyal to the union? How is he not as much a part of Virginia’s heritage as the confederate generals?

Who they put up as statues or name schools after make it very clear this is about hate.

I stand by my assumption that these people aren't necessarily overtly racist, so much as they are ignorant of history, indifferent to racism, and selfish in their desire to preserve their historical fantasy world where everyone else can eat shit.

Virginia school board restores Confederate names • Virginia Mercury

Quote:
According to Beau Dickenson, a former teacher of American History at Shenandoah County’s Stonewall Jackson High School, public schools, particularly high schools, began to be named after Confederate between the 1950s and 1960s, as the Civil Rights Movement swept through the nation.

Many localities named their schools after Confederate leaders in response to the U.S. Supreme Court’s decision in the 1954 Brown v. Board of Education case mandating desegregation.

During the 1950s, school boards and lawmakers, including Virginia’s U.S. Sen. Harry Byrd, were fighting against the U.S. Supreme Court’s 1954 decision to desegregate schools, a strategic effort known as Massive Resistance.

Virginia pushed back against integration by cutting off state funds for integrated schools, issuing tuition grants to white children to attend segregated private schools and closing public schools to prevent desegregation in Charlottesville, Front Royal and Norfolk.

Dickenson said one of the school closures near Shenandoah was in neighboring Warren County, which he believes made school boards aware of why the schools were closed, adding that the news was also featured in the Northern Virginia Daily newspaper for both communities to read.

During this time, Shenandoah leaders named one of its high schools after Stonewall Jackson, on Jan. 12, 1959. Jackson was famously known for leading Confederate soldiers in Shenandoah County and working under Gen. Robert E. Lee during the Civil War.

Days later, federal and state courts ruled that closing schools was illegal. However, Massive Resistance was not declared illegal by the Supreme Court until 1968, a ruling stemming from the Green v. County School Board of New Kent County case.

“The convergence of all those forces makes it abundantly clear, I think, that this naming was politically motivated,” said Dickenson.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Last edited by: sphere: May 20, 24 10:41
Quote Reply
Re: The South is rising again [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Our local high school was originally named for the city, which seems perfectly normal. It was changed to Robert E. Lee in 1914 under pressure from the Daughters of the Confederacy. In 2017 the name was changed back to the original name following the events of the deadly Charlottesville rally nearby. Ours is like most cities in the south, a relatively progressive island in the middle of a deep red ocean, so I don't see it following suit with the regressive naming immediately north of us but I do expect there will be some momentum gained from it and they won't be the last schools to revert to Confederacy names.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply

Prev Next