Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Tyson vs Paul [mattr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mattr wrote:
sphere wrote:
mattr wrote:
I'd love to see Tyson knock him out. If Paul wants people to consider him a real boxer, why doesn't he box real boxers instead of retired MMA fighters, celebrities, old fighters etc.

Paul is a promoter above all else, and he's damn good at it. What kind of payday do you suppose him fighting a boxer of equal caliber would bring in?

I get it, and I agree he and his brother are fantastic promoters. But it appears he wants people to take him seriously, as a boxer. And people won't until he fights actual boxers.

No offense, but I think you’re demonstrating my point. A serious fighter doesn’t climb the ranks by fighting retired pros nearly four decades past their prime in what may not even be a sanctioned bout.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Tyson vs Paul [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
mattr wrote:
sphere wrote:
mattr wrote:
I'd love to see Tyson knock him out. If Paul wants people to consider him a real boxer, why doesn't he box real boxers instead of retired MMA fighters, celebrities, old fighters etc.

Paul is a promoter above all else, and he's damn good at it. What kind of payday do you suppose him fighting a boxer of equal caliber would bring in?

I get it, and I agree he and his brother are fantastic promoters. But it appears he wants people to take him seriously, as a boxer. And people won't until he fights actual boxers.

No offense, but I think you’re demonstrating my point. A serious fighter doesn’t climb the ranks by fighting retired pros nearly four decades past their prime in what may not even be a sanctioned bout.

He lost his one fight against an actual boxer that was his size and age. Why would he do that again?

Also, in fighting retired guys, he's gaining experience and probably earning a shit ton more money than going through the lower level pro meat grinder.

I have no freaking clue what his plan with boxing is, other than to make money.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Tyson vs Paul [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
sphere wrote:
mattr wrote:
sphere wrote:
mattr wrote:

He lost his one fight against an actual boxer that was his size and age. Why would he do that again?

Also, in fighting retired guys, he's gaining experience and probably earning a shit ton more money than going through the lower level pro meat grinder.

Anyone know what's the expected payday for either of them?

Aging greats coming back decades later... it's usually not pretty. Father time is undefeated. e.g. I remember Holyfield's attempt was not good.
Quote Reply
Re: Tyson vs Paul [40-Tude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
40-Tude wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
sphere wrote:
mattr wrote:
sphere wrote:
mattr wrote:

Aging greats coming back decades later... it's usually not pretty. Father time is undefeated. e.g. I remember Holyfield's attempt was not good.

Yeah nobody is doubting that Mike can move and punch incredibly well at his age. But I don't think there's a 60 year old there who can take a punch particularly well.

Anderson Silva is probably the closest comparison Paul has fought. Silva in his prime was a unstoppable. He was so fast and so technical, it was like he was moving in the matrix and everything around him was slow motion. His highlight reel is absurd. He is easily in the conversation as best MMA fighter in history, and one of the best strikers, and he only retired I think 20 years ago. He fought Paul when he was, I think, 50, and Paul knocked him down. Tyson is almost a decade older, and has been retired for longer.

I'm not saying Tyson isn't great, or that Paul is. I think Paul would lose against an active much lower level pro his own age. I just think people don't address the reality of being that old and trying to fight someone much younger, even if there is a big experience and skill difference.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Last edited by: BCtriguy1: Mar 22, 24 8:14
Quote Reply
Re: Tyson vs Paul [40-Tude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
40-Tude wrote:

I'm seeing a number of fight websites saying Tyson is in line to earn around $20M for the fight. I don't really know if those sites are good journalism or just clickbait-y though. It does seem like he's teed up to earn multi-millions though.

When Tyson fought Roy Jones Jr. a few years ago, he was guaranteed at least $1M, and it's been widely reported that his actual take was closer to $10M.
Quote Reply
Re: Tyson vs Paul [Trieatalot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, that clears it up.

"Not true at all. Listen, this is called an exhibition but if you look up exhibition, you will not see any of the laws we are fighting under. This is a fight." - Mike Tyson

"I keep hoping for you to use your superior intellect to be less insufferable. Sadly, you continue to disappoint." - gofigure
Quote Reply
Re: Tyson vs Paul [sonofdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sonofdad wrote:
Well, that clears it up.

"Not true at all. Listen, this is called an exhibition but if you look up exhibition, you will not see any of the laws we are fighting under. This is a fight." - Mike Tyson

I think the only way that I would watch one of these fights is if the fighters agreed to an 80-20 split of the purse, with the winner getting the 80%, and a contractual agreement that they will not backdoor into a secret split of the money.

(Yes, I know that won't happen. Ever. Which is why I won't watch. Ever.)
Last edited by: DieselPete: Apr 4, 24 8:51
Quote Reply
Re: Tyson vs Paul [DieselPete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DieselPete wrote:
sonofdad wrote:
Well, that clears it up.

I think the only way that I would watch one of these fights is if the fighters agreed to an 80-20 split of the purse, with the winner getting the 80%, and a contractual agreement that they will not backdoor into a secret split of the money.

(Yes, I know that won't happen. Ever. Which is why I won't watch. Ever.)

That's a good idea, and you are right. It will never happen.

"I keep hoping for you to use your superior intellect to be less insufferable. Sadly, you continue to disappoint." - gofigure
Quote Reply
Re: Tyson vs Paul [sonofdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
- The bout is an officially sanctioned professional fight.
- The result will be recorded on official records.
- Knockouts are permitted.
- The fight will consist of eight 2-minute rounds.
- Fighters will wear 14-ounce gloves.
- No headgear will be used.

via ESPN

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:

via ESPN

Tyson is going to kill him.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Tyson vs Paul [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
sphere wrote:

via ESPN

Agree, unless Paul puts his running shoes on, tyson will finish him inside of 3 rounds. Tyson is a bit crazy but even at his age I don't think he wants to tant his image by losing to an influencer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:

via ESPN

Been a while since I followed fight game, 14-ounce gloves does not seem to be what I recall as "championship" grade prof. weight or is my memory bad?

2 minute rounds helps Tyson.

8 rounds is probably helping one of them just not sure which. Tyson, cause if Paul has survived 8 rounds Mike is probably tired and Paul could get late round points?

No surprise its Prof, Tyson has all but said he will only fight Pro fights after getting laughed at from his exhibition fight series he tried starting.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
sphere wrote:

via ESPN

I would like to see Tyson win but Paul has a very good chance.
Quote Reply
Re: Tyson vs Paul [Nutella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nutella wrote:
BLeP wrote:
sphere wrote:

via ESPN

I would like to see Tyson win but Paul has a very good chance.

Same. Tyson is 58, Paul is mid 20s something. Saw an interview with Colby Covington. He went over the released footage from camp Tyson and detailed how it was from many years ago before he gained a ton of weight. Plus went over the big differences and advantages to Paul. Tyson just lost 100lbs(!). And apparently Paul is a scientific experiment. I don't think Tyson would take a fall for a big payout, I hope.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:

So on my flight yesterday to LA I sat next to a guy who is a boxing coach in Cleveland. He’s also very good friends with Jake Paul. He says he is one of the nicest guys you could ever meet in person and has done a lot behind the scenes for the sport of boxing, such a set up a foundation for retired/injured boxers. That said, when I asked him who is going to win the fight, he said exactly what Blep said above.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tyson vs Paul [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fight postponed indefinitely due to Tyson medical issue (ulcer).

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Tyson vs Paul [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Fight postponed indefinitely due to Tyson medical issue (ulcer).

I was afraid of that when I saw the report of him having a medical emergency on a plane.
Quote Reply

Prev Next