Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Spring Classics Thread *Spoilers* [ABarnes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ABarnes wrote:
April 3-13
we arrive amsterdam first, spend a couple days with friends there (who also happen to store my bike!)
Stay in Gent for the duration, as we have for so many trips (we have made this trip semi annually for ten years). Consequently we have made many friends and know secret places. :)

Husband and I live on hotel points. We have stayed at the Holiday Inn Express off the E17 or the HI Gent Expo. Both are usually full of teams as well, good for gawking and hanging out with mechanics at the bar. The HIE near E17 is much easier to ride from as it's right off the Schelde path. We have also stayed at the Mariott right in the centrum that is quite the romantic spot, but shit for riding in/out of town.

Just outside in Gent a small town called Drongen has B&B Halewijn

they are members of my adopted bike club PDG Bikestore Drongen

If you want the true deep Flanders experience check out www.akrenbos101.com in Geraardsbergen. Brand new construction, and an industry friend of mine. Sorry it's not in English yet but google translate :)

This site also many more options and details. Cycling tourism is very big there and very nice.

Renting a car is easy, driving is easy signage is excellent.
Knowledge of flemish not necessary, most people speak english.

Go to Flanders, you will not regret it!!!

Wow. I'm keeping this post, thanks. You've got it dialed with very few moving parts. Love the approach.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Spring Classics Thread *Spoilers* [ABarnes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ABarnes wrote:
April 3-13
we arrive amsterdam first, spend a couple days with friends there (who also happen to store my bike!)
Stay in Gent for the duration, as we have for so many trips (we have made this trip semi annually for ten years). Consequently we have made many friends and know secret places. :)

Husband and I live on hotel points. We have stayed at the Holiday Inn Express off the E17 or the HI Gent Expo. Both are usually full of teams as well, good for gawking and hanging out with mechanics at the bar. The HIE near E17 is much easier to ride from as it's right off the Schelde path. We have also stayed at the Mariott right in the centrum that is quite the romantic spot, but shit for riding in/out of town.

Just outside in Gent a small town called Drongen has B&B Halewijn

they are members of my adopted bike club PDG Bikestore Drongen

If you want the true deep Flanders experience check out www.akrenbos101.com in Geraardsbergen. Brand new construction, and an industry friend of mine. Sorry it's not in English yet but google translate :)

This site also many more options and details. Cycling tourism is very big there and very nice.

Renting a car is easy, driving is easy signage is excellent.
Knowledge of flemish not necessary, most people speak english.

Go to Flanders, you will not regret it!!!
Thanks for the detailed post. Much appreciated!

Craig mentioned that you make an annual pilgrimage of sorts over to the Benelux, and it sounds amazing. Will definitely study each of the spots you suggested.

If driving a car in Flanders is not so bad, we'll definitely go that route (though we really do appreciate just how well-run Dutch Railway is). I mean I just need to know Nord, Sud, Ooost, West, and Centraal for direction, right :)?

Thanks again
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Spring Classics Thread *Spoilers* [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
driving makes things easier/convenient. Parking is sooooo....organized over there! Say, for example, you are driving into downtown Gent. You will see big signs for Parking, with LED numbers telling you how many spots are left. Follow the big blue "P" signs to your destination, all are underground. Little green lights on the ceiling will tell you where the open spots are. It's so freaking civilised!!

Some confusion with city/town names in Flemish and in French (Lille/Rijsel, Luik/Liege, Gent/Gand). Always fun to translate at the highway exit. Not as bad as roundabout in Ronse, where streetsigns turn from flemish to french to flemish as you go round and round....now what was the name of the street we are looking for?

We have done train to Roubaix from Kortrijk, leave car there. Race viewing sections are much more common now, with big tv screens and food. No need as much to drive around to see race. This is why the Ronde went to loops.

Pretty much everything is within 100k in Belgium..it..is..that...small. We generally avoid Brussels because of traffic though.

It is Noord, Zuid, Oost, West btw :)

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Spring Classics Thread *Spoilers* [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Young American rider riding for team Jumbo Visma shell henceforth be referred to as S. Kuss :)
Not be confused with not so young rider from Belgium that is highly unlikely to place 5th on a climbing stage and while he also wears bright colors they are of the Pink variety
Last edited by: trener1: Feb 17, 20 19:06
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Spring Classics Thread *Spoilers* [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
echappist wrote:
turdburgler wrote:
McNulty wrote:
quite an early season queen stage................http://www.ciclismointernacional.com/...020-stage-4-preview/

Can't wait to see if Pogacar takes this too.

In other news...I have a friend who borrowed a bike of mine as he is coming back from running injury issues. He is a professional 1500m runner for my country and has run sub 4 minutes many times. Said bike has an SRM on it and he has been using my Garmin to track what he is doing. He said he only rode a bit as a kid, but his 20 minute power is at 5.2 w/kg. I know this is individual but given his background how high is his ceiling I wonder? He didn't pace himself very well as he doesn't really know what he is doing. He has had that bike for only a week. I feel like he could be Mike Woods 2.0

is that 5.2 w/kg right now or from a while back? and when you say "for my country", do you mean he represented your country at European Championships, etc, or rather that he's a professional 1500m runner from your country?

given that he's a professional middle distance runner, likelihood of him having a big aerobic engine needed is more than good (i'd say better than 90% chance). Due to the issue of biomechanical efficiency, running speeds don't always necessarily translate into power on the bike (as in, the really biomechanically efficient can get away with generating less power, which makes their on-bike performance worse). But if that 5.2 w/kg is recent, then chances of him being able to translate that onto the bike is high, b/c 5.2 w/kg is just the baseline (coming off of injury, being new to the sport, etc). He can probably tack on another 10% by just focusing on biking (the gain usually observed when one switches from multisport to solely cycling). Beyond that is anyone's guess. Probably has the genetics and drive to make it a continental pro; beyond that is anyone's guess. Of course, you know better than I that he'll also need good bike handling.

He probably also have a more than decent kick and short-term power, both of which are very useful in cycling.

He followed me all week and we decided to track him. I swam for my country and it took almost a decade to do what the did and slightly surpass that. I suspect bike only focus would allow him to go even further if her cared. I'm a fairly strong rider over long duration and it took me a bit to shake him. I'm trying to get him to understand that his kick is not normal.

A number of successful Australian Pro riders have come from a running background, it's not that unusual

Ben O'Connor (NTT) Cross Country running and Australian Rules Football
Brendan Canty (Formerly Cannondale) came from track running
Lucy Kennedy (Mitchelton Scott) distance running
Luke Durbridge, Michael Hepburn, Richie Porte, Adam Hansen (all run focused Tri)

There's others as well, but that's off the top of my head
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Spring Classics Thread *Spoilers* [ClayDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ClayDavis wrote:
I really like Higuita... You really don't want to take that guy to the line, but you're going to be hard pressed to drop him on a climb. I won't be surprised if Martinez gets a GT podium in the next two years.

In other news... MvdP hitting the road this week. Watch out!

Looking forward to Strade Bianche. He should be in good position for those last 20-25 km. Wout looked awesome past 2 years.
Last edited by: WannaB: Feb 18, 20 1:02
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Spring Classics Thread *Spoilers* [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Time for the big boys to come out and play at Algarve with GT, Dennis, Kwiato, Nibali, Lopez, MvdP, GvA, etc, etc. Lineup is deep across GC and stage hunters.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Spring Classics Thread *Spoilers* [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup, don't forget to add Evenepoel in the mix. Hope to see some fireworks this WE :-) !!

Louis :-)
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Spring Classics Thread *Spoilers* [louisn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For sure, meant to include him. Really curious to see how he stacks up and plays it with final ITT that should determine GC.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Spring Classics Thread *Spoilers* [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
For sure, meant to include him. Really curious to see how he stacks up and plays it with final ITT that should determine GC.

Joe D is there. Ok, not a favorite but itā€™ll be interesting seeing him working for Pogacar, who is not there so Joe is just riding into form. Whatever. Heā€™s there and heā€™s the homeboy so, whatever. Heā€™s there is allā€™s Iā€™m saying.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not sure where the exact finish line is in Lagos today, but having walked that stretch of road, it could be a dicey sprint less than 2 euro lanes wide.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Spring Classics Thread *Spoilers* [Sulliesbrew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fun finish today. Something old (Dan Martin), something new (Evenepoel). And Max Shock'em in between.

What's our Evenepoel nickname?
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Spring Classics Thread *Spoilers* [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lordy, Remco laying the wood in a serious way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Fun finish today. Something old (Dan Martin), something new (Evenepoel). And Max Shock'em in between.

What's our Evenepoel nickname?

Wow. Precocious. Shock Man almost caught him. Remco had some nice comments afterwards, pretty emotional.

Nickname? Baby Alpha (wolf).....Jungle Remco? ....Baby Gil? ......Needs some work.....
The way heā€™s going heā€™ll be in one name category soon, ala Sagan, Bono, Elvis.....Cher?
Maybe ā€œJust Remcoā€. JR.
Revenpoel. Rev.
Spitballin.....
Last edited by: McNulty: Feb 20, 20 12:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Remco "FedEx" Evenepoel
The Boy King
Mathieu Who?
The Little Hurt
Prime Time
Patrick's Dream
Remco Rampage Evenepoel

"Remco" is probably enough. It's Remco's world, and a lot of unfortunate bike racers gonna be livin in it.

He seems to be pretty down to earth and personable, and quite capable of handling the fame and pressure.

Joe D did nice work softening the peloton up too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oh my,
and DQS is up to 10 wins ytd
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

+1 for fedex given his proclivity for crazy just send it attacks.

and man ... fedex + LFF could stir up some shit at MSR
Last edited by: buzz: Feb 20, 20 14:42
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Spring Classics Thread *Spoilers* [buzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No doubt. And if a move doesn't stick they potentially have Jakobsen and/or Bennet to sprint.

Last 15 min of MSR should be something this year with the likes of those guys going off, sprinters and then the all-arounders like MvdP, Sagan, Trentin, etc trying to decide which card to play.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
No doubt. And if a move doesn't stick they potentially have Jakobsen and/or Bennet to sprint.

Last 15 min of MSR should be something this year with the likes of those guys going off, sprinters and then the all-arounders like MvdP, Sagan, Trentin, etc trying to decide which card to play.

Iā€™m guessing Remco is Baby Phil Gil and takes long flyers setting up the LFF et al. Said flyers could stick. Heā€™s something else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Remco "FedEx" Evenepoel
The Boy King
Mathieu Who?
The Little Hurt
Prime Time
Patrick's Dream
Remco Rampage Evenepoel

"Remco" is probably enough. It's Remco's world, and a lot of unfortunate bike racers gonna be livin in it.

He seems to be pretty down to earth and personable, and quite capable of handling the fame and pressure.

Joe D did nice work softening the peloton up too.

At this rate: Eddy who .... :-) ?

LOuis :-)
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Spring Classics Thread *Spoilers* [louisn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like Haig and Teuns took a wrong turn and allowed Fuglsang to win at Ruta del Sol. Young McNulty continues to impress as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:

Iā€™m guessing Remco is Baby Phil Gil and takes long flyers setting up the LFF et al. Said flyers could stick. Heā€™s something else.

OMG, I had no idea.

wiki wrote:
After some setbacks and disappointments (in soccer) he made a switch to cycling in 2017. He won both the time trial and road race at the 2018 European Junior Road Cycling Championships. The gap between him and the second place rider in the road race was 9 minutes and 44 seconds.

I love when people tell me genetics don't count for much ....
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Spring Classics Thread *Spoilers* [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome to see McNulty up there and not just surviving but going for it. He has a massive engine, and tactical chops are looking pretty solid too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
one week out from Omloop
we're six pages deep already
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Spring Classics Thread *Spoilers* [heyMartin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alright everyone, after winning in my first year competing in this game and finishing as the runner up last year, I'll be moderating things a little bit this year. I'm a bit short on time sometimes with work, training and the fact that I'll be travelling at the end of April, but I'll give it my best so bare with me.

The tally will be updated here: https://docs.google.com/...03270#gid=1993129568

The rules have changed a little bit compared to last year, hopefully making things a bit more fair/interesting, especially with regards to the flyer picks. Sometimes the odds were a bit ridiculous unfortunately.

- There will be 4 individual picks for each round: - 3 podium picks, submit them in a,b,c order with a being your pick for 1st place, b for 2nd place and c for 3rd place
- 1 flyer/wildcard or whatever you want to call him, who has to have worse than 50:1 odds

I went over the betting odds posted last year and in my honest opinion, the guys that were worse than 50:1 are the ones who I truly see as a wildcard for the win. I'll try to post the odds 3 days up front and try to keep them from the same website if possible so there is at least some consistancy on that part. The odds are what they are, we're not going to be argueing about them.. Up to you to use them to your advantage.

I will post the odds below in this post.

- If any of your 4 picks end up in the top 5, you get 1 point for each of them that makes it into the top 5. If any of your podium picks end up on the podium (in any order) you get an extra point for each of them that make it onto the podium. If you get the order correct as well, you get an additional point extra for each of them. If your flyer/wildcard makes it onto the podium, you get 3 points!

- The winner will ofcourse be the one who scores the most points. We will be doing 13 of the Classics race in total so be sure to put up picks for all of them.

- All picks have to be in by 4h before race start. They start in the morning Central European Time so everyone that posted his picks or edited his post after that timeline will unfortunately not be elligible to get any points from that race.

- In case of a draw, these will be the tie-breakers: - Number of points from the 4 monuments (Milano-San Remo, De Ronde van Vlaanderen, Paris- Roubaix and LiĆØge-Bastogne-LiĆØge)
- Number of winners from all events
- Number of winners from the 4 monuments
- Number of podiums from all events
- Number of podiums from the 4 monuments

Of course the real winner is the one who enjoys his speciality beers whilst watching the race after a hard training in the morning (or at least morning in case of us Europeans), which is hopefully almost everyone in this thread ;)

If something is not clear, let me know and I'll try to update this post to make things more clear. English isn't my native language so I'll do my best ;)

Enjoy everyone, I think we're up for a fascinating one if the races that are going on right now are anything to go by.

Odds for Omloop het Nieuwsblad:

https://www.livebet.com/...mloop-het-nieuwsblad

Odds for Kuurne-Brussel-Kuurne:

https://m.nicerodds.co.uk/kuurne-bruxelles-kuurne
Last edited by: Tri_Joeri: Feb 28, 20 23:10
Quote Reply

Prev Next