Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2010-Mar 24 2011: Rules, Motivation, Smacktalk, all in this thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Been slacking for most of '09 and '10 and I thought it was about time to get busy again. I turned 60 in late Sept and finished 2nd in my final 55-59 race. Had the lead (big) off the bike and folded like a lawn chair 2 miles into the run.
So with a need to get some improved run base I thought I'd come over here and see what you might be cooking up over the holidays. This deal is perfect for me, because I'm looking at running 3.9 to the club where I lead a spin class 3x weekly and then run back home. That's 6/week if I can just manage to maintain that.
No goal for me until I get through the holidays. Hopefully I'll do 100 including a decent showing at a half marathon on Superbowl Sunday.
Thanks for throwing down the challenge.

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2010-Mar 24 2011: Rules, Motivation, Smacktalk, all in this thread [juliegruns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All my runs are slow right now as we have about 5 inches of snow on the ground. Really sucks as I am training for a 50k. I did 20 miles on snowy trails today in about 10 degree temps. Not much fun, but better than a treadmill.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2010-Mar 24 2011: Rules, Motivation, Smacktalk, all in this thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would like to see an average pace column.

Thanks for putting this together - it's a great motivator.

Quote | Reply
My goal is simple: at least a 3 mile run in 30 minutes every other day. I have been doing only 1 or 2 three mile runs per week for the past two months or so. Seeing how much everyone else runs in the challenge prevents me from having a big head since most peeps walk the treadmill at my gym ("Look at me running at my 10 minute pace for half an hour!")
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2010-Mar 24 2011: Rules, Motivation, Smacktalk, all in this thread [AJHull] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We'll ask to see what is possible as that makes sense. This used to exist, but the training log designers pulled that out given that being able to see time and distance gave us a feel for who was doing what pace....there are so many columns, and for the purposes of another challenge, the points column was added by Dan, to give us a feel for overall training load for the athletes in these camps. But right now points only shows running points, (4 points per mile) not all points so in effect it is redundant to distance. I will inquire to see what is possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tip Of the DaY;
For those of you who are increasing mileage for the first time. It is best when adding mileage to keep your intensity down for the first few weeks. This means no speedwork right now. After a few weeks you may want to finish a few runs with 10-15 minutes at moderate pace. This means 80% efforts. The object now is mileage not intensity.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2010-Mar 24 2011: Rules, Motivation, Smacktalk, all in this thread [AJHull] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would like to see an average pace column.

1) Get the total mileage and hours from the log.
2) Open up the training log.
3) go to add workout.
4) input the hours and mileage
And then you should have your overall average for challenge. It is not on the spreadsheet to look at but should only take a extra minute or two to do. My coach says I ahve to do a 90 minute trainer ride so I got to go before my wife comes home and wants to do Holiday stuff together ;o) BTW is a vacumn cleaner a good present ?

Re: 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2010-Mar 24 2011: Rules, Motivation, Smacktalk, all in this thread [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
BTW is a vacumn cleaner a good present ?

Only if the box has your name on it ;-)
And then you tell your significant other that you will wear it out before next christmas...
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2010-Mar 24 2011: Rules, Motivation, Smacktalk, all in this thread [Scot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excellent advice.

To this I would re-itereate Dev's advice to start with the end in mind. I've been going every other day to stave off soreness. If all goes according to plan, I'll be able to make up the frequency on the back half of the challenge.

We'll see....

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2010-Mar 24 2011: Rules, Motivation, Smacktalk, all in this thread [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
6.25 mi in a bit under 50 min this AM followed by 1200 yds in the pool

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I signed up for this challenge last year after having a blast the year before with the 200 mile/in December run challenge the year before. When I signed up for it last year I promptly put a post on my facebook page that today started the run 100 times in 100 days challenge and I was doing it. Got a text from my wife of 10 years that she was leaving me because I cared about training too much. Nevermind she'd been diddling the neighbor/cable the guy the last few weeks/months and moved in with him the next week, along with having run up bills and credit cards and unpaid bills for our house also during this time. But me wanting a half hour a day was the reason she was all of a sudden leaving.

Well, 1 year, a divorce, and bankruptcy (thanks to her) and I'm back in it, happier and healthier than I ever have been. I missed one day at the beginning but my goal for this year is 100 runs and to have a net average of sub 7 minutes miles for the whole duration. Bring it on...

Sounds like 100/100 was a straw that broke the camel's back, or an "excuse" for her to finally split with you.

On the 7 min pace --- what's your 5k pace if you want to average 7s?!

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
.for it to count, both feet have to leave the ground on each stride or it ain't running.

I believe ice skating may now meet your definition of running ; ^ )

Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2010-Mar 24 2011: Rules, Motivation, Smacktalk, all in this thread [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely an excuse to make her actions the several months prior seem like my fault.

I think your 7 min pace thing is not a good idea unless you're a run superstar (you might be, I don;t know you)

Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2010-Mar 24 2011: Rules, Motivation, Smacktalk, all in this thread [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I think your 7 min pace thing is not a good idea unless you're a run superstar (you might be, I don;t know you)

In my own mind, I'm a superstar for sure.

Actually spent all of 2010 training for IMLP, put in some huge weeks (400 mile bike/50 run/15k swim) so I have a lot of volume carried over. 7 min pace for me is comfy all day, trying to turn IM Base fitness into more speed for 2011 since I'm focusing on Half's and shorter races. I think last year I got 70+ days out of the 100 in (not bad going through all the personal mess) and I think my avg was under 7 then too. As long as I feel healthy and not aching/sore etc...I'm going for it.

But thanks (seriously) for the concern ;)

Cool, both on the pace and some really big weeks last year.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a friend getting married (at age 41, for the first time. We had given up hope), so the stag with all traditional associated debauchery killed my weekend runs. Today 7.25km on a 250m indoor track. Managed to do the first 27 laps within 1s of 1:05 each.

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it's raining for 3 days straight, so running and swimming are the only outdoor options. luckily, the pool is 50m, outdoors and heated. 5 mile run to the pool, 3000m swim, and 5 miles back home. 2 1/4 hrs in the complete wet...
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2010-Mar 24 2011: Rules, Motivation, Smacktalk, all in this thread [kus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just make sure that 3000m set with rest took over an hour, if not those two 5 mile runs count as a single 10 mile run :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Just make sure that 3000m set with rest took over an hour, if not those two 5 mile runs count as a single 10 mile run :-)

that was THE ONLY REASON why I made it through 3000 meters... one benefit of being slow is that it took me about 55 min, plus showers, bs'ing on the pool deck (I heard that Macca swims in the Culver pool when he is in LA), and general procrastinating... easy :)
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2010-Mar 24 2011: Rules, Motivation, Smacktalk, all in this thread [kus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Geez, I wish I knew about this challenge sooner. Lost opportunities piss me off, can someone tell my wife I am doing this challenge?? All the time/effort/money I spent on her over the years, if I had only known I could get her too leave so easily.

Now that I have hope, what is up with you daily double guys? You must be single to have time to run twice everyday. Send my your coordinates, I will send you the reason that I have to work all the time. Be warned, don't marry her......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just checking to make sure I did this right... I did an interval workout with walking recovery breaks. I can still add up the times spent actually running and estimate a distance. If the run time still doesn't add up to 30 minutes, even though the workout went longer, then I shouldn't log it as a run today, right? Instead, to add into the challenge totals without counting the frequency, I added the sum of the running time and distance to my previous run. Am I misunderstanding anything?
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2010-Mar 24 2011: Rules, Motivation, Smacktalk, all in this thread [Micawber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No run for me today as it is a scheduled day off from running. Tip Of the day:
While you are building your mileage and your intensity is low you may want to add a few strides or surges into a few runs. This will reinforce form and keep your turnover speed. Do this by doing(6-8) 15-20 second bursts at the end of an easy run. Take full recovery. This will keep your leg speed while you build mileage. These are pickups not interval sets.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2010-Mar 24 2011: Rules, Motivation, Smacktalk, all in this thread [Scot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Getting ready for planned 8-9 mike run outside in the 34 degree N.j weather with a nice breeze blowing. Short little 1000 meter swim planned after. Shoulder is feeling good.

Prev Next