Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
2022 Hawaii 70.3 ask me anything
Quote | Reply
For the first time in 10 years Hawaii 70.3 (Honu) is sold out. This will be our 13th straight year racing the wonderful event and want to see if anyone has any questions. I just returned from a two week vacation/camp on Kona and much has changed.

Soooo if you have any questions on the course, lodging, rental cars, dining, shopping etc. please ask away. I can assure you much has changed (cost, lack of restaurants etc.) and I don’t want anyone caught off guard.

Mahalo,

Mark
Quote Reply
Re: 2022 Hawaii 70.3 ask me anything [mrw42976] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
By the end of May will Hawaii still require a booster shot to avoid the 5 day quarantine period(double vaxed)? I have stayed at the Kona Coast in the past. Any other suggestions for a condo? Who is the least expensive car rental company? Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: 2022 Hawaii 70.3 ask me anything [irondave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kona is a 40 minute drive but a very peaceful option if your willing to make that drive the three plus times needs to race.

Cars: dollar/thrifty are usually the cheapest but I would stay up in orbitz.com to check frequently.

Booster: NO! HAwaii just updated the HAwaii Safe Travel saying prof of additional booster IS NOT MANDATORY.

Hope to see you in May/June for the race.
Last edited by: mrw42976: Feb 17, 22 10:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
irondave wrote:
By the end of May will Hawaii still require a booster shot to avoid the 5 day quarantine period(double vaxed)? I have stayed at the Kona Coast in the past. Any other suggestions for a condo? Who is the least expensive car rental company? Thanks

Neither the Island or the state of Hawaii have ever required a booster shot to bypass the Safe Travels Program. Earlier this year Maui county did require a Covid booster shot to be considered fully vaccinated but has since rescinded that requirement. A week or two ago Ige mentioned in a press conference that the State will not change its definition of fully vaccinated to include a Covid booster shot. All you will still need is to be fully vaccinated or have a negative PCR test within 72 hours of arrive to the islands. Cases are on the decline here and things are continuing on as normal. And a matter of fact there is talk of droppong the Safe Travels Program all together soon. But I only saw that on the news one evening breifly.

In other news, this will be my first time heading over to participate in the race. Training is starting to pick back up again after the Honolulu marathon. I had a little bit of hip flexor trouble about two weeks after the marathon but all is well now it feels. This race and the Dick Evans Memorial Road Race are my two races for the year. Your best bet is to support local and to go through Turo. Trust me it will be one of the least expensive options. I will be arriving into Hilo Thursday morning and staying in Waimea. It is by far my favorite bit of the island. There is a great little Japanese restaurant in town too! Waikaloa Village is also a decent alternative location to stay.
Last edited by: GingerAvenger: Feb 17, 22 9:35
Quote Reply
Re: 2022 Hawaii 70.3 ask me anything [GingerAvenger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you both for your responses. I haven't travelled in a while and noticed that on Truro rentals were significantly less expensive when looking in to racing Oceanside. What is the overall consumer experience like? I plan on flying and racing 5 times this year, and would be saving a significant number of dollars by using Truro. My only concern is that with a rental company you know what you are getting, whereas with Truro I think you are dealing with an individual who owns the car?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is exactly the case. Its Airbnb for cars. So think of it like that. Most of the time you will have a great experience, but there is always that change of finding a crazy person. I make sure to do my due diligence and read reviews. Knock on wood, we have yet to have a bad experience. I try to be respectful with the vehicle, more so than with my own car. That is a curtesy that I do not extend to corporate rental companies. I tend to treat those vehicles as my own and that is still really well. You get what you give. Overall I trust the system but always with a grain of salt. The best part about it in Hawaii is that the local population is actually getting something back. If you're local and travel interisland it's an expense that you just do not want to have to pay. Its crazy enough with mortgages/rent, groceries, etc. If you're ever on Maui I recommend Fox as that is dirt cheap but Turo is easier to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
irondave wrote:
Thank you both for your responses. I haven't travelled in a while and noticed that on Truro rentals were significantly less expensive when looking in to racing Oceanside. What is the overall consumer experience like? I plan on flying and racing 5 times this year, and would be saving a significant number of dollars by using Truro. My only concern is that with a rental company you know what you are getting, whereas with Truro I think you are dealing with an individual who owns the car?

Hey Dave, see you there!!! I am in. Staying at Sea Village Kona for my first week and at Hilton close to race for final 3 days!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want to stay in the Waikoloa resort area, definitely look at the Hilton Waikoloa for rooms. There are many hotel/condo options in that area, but the Hilton tends to be the cheapest…..of course, that may have changed with the pandemic but it was my experience before the pandemic made everything go wild
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello!

I'm coming for Hawaii 70.3 and will be staying in Waikoloa. I'm flying in on tuesday, so wanted to get some training swims done before the race. I've never swam long distance in the ocean, so a little concerned. Are there organized swims in the area in the days leading up to the race? Maybe you can point me where to swim safely even without the group? I've heard there are some organized swims in Kona where big race is happening, but that is quite a drive from Waikoloa.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: 2022 Hawaii 70.3 ask me anything [crayzeee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
crayzeee wrote:
Hello!

I'm coming for Hawaii 70.3 and will be staying in Waikoloa. I'm flying in on tuesday, so wanted to get some training swims done before the race. I've never swam long distance in the ocean, so a little concerned. Are there organized swims in the area in the days leading up to the race? Maybe you can point me where to swim safely even without the group? I've heard there are some organized swims in Kona where big race is happening, but that is quite a drive from Waikoloa.

Thanks!

If you are staying in the Waikoloa resort area, the swim start (Hapuna Beach) is not very far, off the Queen K....I believe it's about 5-6 miles away by car. If you are staying at the Hilton Waikoloa (Hilton WalkAllOver.....you'll see why when you realize how big this resort is), they have an awesome protected lagoon where you can swim. Get there early in the AM and you'll have the place to yourself (except for the turtles, fish, and the occasional eel). Its awesome.
Quote Reply
Re: 2022 Hawaii 70.3 ask me anything [EyeRunMD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I imagine most people have their rooms booked already but prices have really jumped for all the Waikoloa resorts, since we last visited before the pandemic. We were on Hawaii Island in January/February. Even the Hilton Waikoloa has jacked up their prices bigtime.

The Ruth Chris has closed, and some of the shopping centers, in that area, are definitely more empty than pre-pandemic.
Quote Reply
Re: 2022 Hawaii 70.3 ask me anything [EyeRunMD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you!

Yes, I'm staying in Hilton. Booked room in october.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
crayzeee wrote:
Thank you!

Ok. Some outdated info above. The swim moved from Hapuna to Pauoa Bay right behind the race hotel, Fairmont Orchid last year. It will be there again for 2022. Quite a bit closer if u want to cycle over there.

Staying in WBR Hilton will put you close to A’Bay where every morning there are typically swimmers. There are a couple of boat tether buoys more or less straight out from the beach. Several days a week there are morning canoe practices. Lots of other activities. No lifeguards.

Locals training for Honu will likely be out at Pauoa the week before the race. Some of these folks also regularly swim at 49 Black Sand Beach at the south edge of the Mauna Lani. It is a great place to swim. U need to go early as public access is limited by parking spots and once filled the gate guard will send you packing.

Have fun it is a great venue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
crayzeee wrote:
Thank you!

That's awesome. Personally, I love this hotel. Like I said, enjoy your swims in the lagoon.

Also, if you like burgers, the little food place beside the lagoon has really tasty ones. You can sit at the tables beside the lagoon and watch the eels go in and out of the lava rocks.

In the morning, get an acai bowl on either end of the hotel.

For dinner, book a reservation at the Kamuela Provision Company at the Hilton. Ask for a seat outside. Its a perfect location with excellent food and a great view of the sun setting over the ocean

Best of luck at your race!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you’re up for a quick drive up the bike course Mahukona Beach Park is one of my favorite swim spots up that way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Arriving in Kona on Friday. Planning some heavy duty swim and bike miles Fri-Wed and then two day taper!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Mark,

Will the Hawaii 70.3 swim be in Pauoa Bay again in 2023? I’m looking at booking a place within walking distance to the swim start. Checked the Fairmount Orchid, but it’s rates are way too pricey for me.

Quote Reply
Re: 2022 Hawaii 70.3 ask me anything [Torrent] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great question. I have been told it will remain at the Fairmount but that information won’t be announced “officially” until early 2023 :(

That’s the best I got
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mrw42976 wrote:
Great question. I have been told it will remain at the Fairmount but that information won’t be announced “officially” until early 2023 :(

That’s the best I got

I can't imagine they'll go back to Hapuna - it's a state park that's managed by DLNR, who was notoriously difficult to deal with during the pandemic. The 2021 race moved to the Fairmont out of necessity, but they definitely made lemonade out of lemons. You can't hold a mass start there, but rolling starts have become the norm, and there's a definite benefit to having one transition area. I don't miss the days of the split transition areas, but Hapuna is a bit more protected from chop and currents - the new course has proven to be slow, especially for the later starting age groups.

But I don't have inside knowledge, so take my prediction for what it's worth. :-)

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok thanks for the quick reply:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What I did this year was stay in Waimea Thursday and Saturday night and Friday night we booked a room at the Fairmont Orchid. The rates were extremely pricey, even for Kama`aina. We did this purely for logistics. If you were not staying at the hotel you had to park at the parking lot just over a mile up the road and walk, ride, or take a shuttle down to the hotel. I sure am glad we did what we did as the temperatures in the lava fields at the end of the race were above 100F and that walk, bike ride, waiting around for a shuttle for the trip back up to the parking lot would not have been fun. I was able to wake up and walk right down stairs to transition in the morning, and I was able to immediately hop in the pool after crossing the finish line to cool off. All said and done I paid $400 for the night and that was more than what I spent on two nights in Waimea but it was worth it for the logistics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GingerAvenger wrote:
What I did this year was stay in Waimea Thursday and Saturday night and Friday night we booked a room at the Fairmont Orchid. The rates were extremely pricey, even for Kama`aina. We did this purely for logistics. If you were not staying at the hotel you had to park at the parking lot just over a mile up the road and walk, ride, or take a shuttle down to the hotel. I sure am glad we did what we did as the temperatures in the lava fields at the end of the race were above 100F and that walk, bike ride, waiting around for a shuttle for the trip back up to the parking lot would not have been fun. I was able to wake up and walk right down stairs to transition in the morning, and I was able to immediately hop in the pool after crossing the finish line to cool off. All said and done I paid $400 for the night and that was more than what I spent on two nights in Waimea but it was worth it for the logistics.

$400 for a room at the Fairmont is dirt cheap in reality.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So the only hotel option is Fairmount? Are there any condos near the swim start that could possibly be vrbo/airbnb rentals?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Torrent wrote:
So the only hotel option is Fairmount? Are there any condos near the swim start that could possibly be vrbo/airbnb rentals?

Thanks

Not local but have registered for this race twice and researched the ins and outs of where to stay.

There are condos that I would consider walking distance from the swim start. If you do a satellite Google map view of the Fairmont you can see them just to the south and southeast of the Fairmont. I'm not sure if these are available for rent and if they were they would probably be very, very expensive as they're $2M+ properties.

The more affordable condo rentals will be further south in Mauna Lani and won't be walkable to the main race site. Still very close and a few minutes drive but I heard parking logistics are a shit show near the Fairmont on race morning.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The one night at Fairmount is a good idea. Might be a tough adjustment for my kids though as they tend to get excited by new hotel rooms and are hard to get to sleep…although I don’t sleep great the night before races so not a huge issue:)
Quote Reply

Prev Next