Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

70.3 Victoria
Quote | Reply
I'm planning on doing 70.3 Victoria in about a month and a half to hopefully get back under 5hrs for a half ironman and maybe snagging a roll down slot for Taupo in the M45-49.

I was wondering what the run course is like for that race from those who are familiar with it. I know that it is 2 loops around the lake on a path. I assume that it is mostly flat, but what is the surface?

Do you have any other words of wisdom about the race and/or the area?
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Victoria [trimike77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All packed gravel, mostly flat with a couple small hills around mile 4 maybe, with the little out and back? 75% in the shade. Good run course, you can get into a good rhythm for the most part. It's a gorgeous course for sure.

I really like the bike - but at the far north part there are a bunch of 90* turns and such. At the very north part there is a 90* left that they will tell you to slow down. It's...bad, so I suggest slowing down. I've seen a few people over the years still overshoot it. Big hill about 50 miles in - it's an out and back and the descent is completely straight so it's all recovery or bomb it - your choice.

Other than that - straightforward swim, scenic bike, great run - really fun atmosphere! Best of luck!

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Victoria [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks a lot for the info! It does really seem like a fun and enjoyable course. I was already excited about the bike course. Now I'm looking forward to the run course too! I'm a little concerned about the coolness of the water for the swim, but I've swam in tris with water in the mid to upper 60 degrees F...so...hopefully it won't be too much cooler than that this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've raced it 5 times. There are some tricky sections on the run where you bob and weave around trees and roots and the trail narrows but overall a very fun route to run. There are some little inclines (barely can call them hills) and one longer out and back incline on the run that can test you but mostly flat. Most of the trial is groomed with some crushed gravel sections and some paved sections. Mostly shaded. The bike course is beautiful with lots of variety. Great atmosphere, lots of volunteers and well organized. I'll be racing there again this year.

Jason
Edmonton
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Victoria [Runjmanrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Now to lay down some good training and take care of some logistics for the next 5-6 weeks! Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live on the bike course and run at Elk Lake frequently.

It's not necessarily a fast run course as it's all trail, with some winding sections and a mix of terrain. I wouldn't suggest using carbon shoes on it as you won't get much return and your footing / traction will be poor. The trail is mostly packed but they have been doing some remediation work over the past year and there are some sections that are crushed gravel now. The long flat section between km 2.5 and km 6 is the fastest section of the course.

It's a beautiful course though as it follows the lake and is mostly shaded. There is only one real hill to (km 8) contend with and you loop by the finish line/transition at the halfway point of the run.

Team Every Man Jack
Quote Reply