Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

A world record for the fishes that any of you could attempt, and maybe get....
Quote | Reply
Heard about this awhile back, but he finally did it. Swam in an endless pool for 45 hours, breaking the old world record by a bunch of hours. Now I know who this guy is, and he is a legit world class swimmer, in speed, and endurance. But perhaps I missed it, but doesnt look like there is any speed attached to these types of swims and records. Now of course he would have put in an enormous amount of yardage in that time, but appears that really doesnt matter?

So you all could get in the endless pool and just crank it to 2+ minute pace, and just outlast the time standard. Seems to me that distance should be accounted for, like in ultra running. No one gets a record for just running hours and hours, there has to be mileage calculated in there somewhere. Same with bike racing, even the 6 day race ends up with a total distance travelled.

And you dont have to be continuous, you get a 5 minute break every hour to take care of business and fuel. Certainly the logistics of this kind of swim is super easy, just find an endless pool and go for it!!!! But you do end up with 100 year old man hands and feet, so not all glamour..

https://dailynewsofopenwaterswimming.com/...wsXNh_FynEj_sO84zaDo
Quote Reply
Re: A world record for the fishes that any of you could attempt, and maybe get.... [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some records are meant to be ignored. This seems like one of them.
Quote Reply
Re: A world record for the fishes that any of you could attempt, and maybe get.... [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was going to say… the ridiculous is going strong in this one 😂

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Re: A world record for the fishes that any of you could attempt, and maybe get.... [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kind of like driving a car non stop record... you are dependent on technology here and speed or distance not a factor
Quote Reply
Re: A world record for the fishes that any of you could attempt, and maybe get.... [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess this means you won't be watching a replay of the entire 45-hour feat?!
Maarten van der Weijden foundation - Twitch

@Kid
Quote Reply
Re: A world record for the fishes that any of you could attempt, and maybe get.... [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oooh, I know someone with an endless pool!

forget the skin issues, it's the goggles. I think I'd need several pairs that place pressure at different points...

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree, lol a 5 min break every hour sorta voids any record with "continous" in the record. Like every hour? I could see every 12 hours or, but every hour you get a break?

He just did 3+ hours of not swimming in an 45 hour "continous swim" record.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: A world record for the fishes that any of you could attempt, and maybe get.... [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well most long distance swims have more than 5 minutes an hour of stop time, only you have to float on your back or just tread water in those. So when you think of it, not practical to tread water in an endless pool(actually impossible). Suppose your could float on your back for your feeding, but since it is a closed system, probably not too sanitary to do the other things in that little pool. I think everyone can agree on that, dont you think Brooks?? (-;
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What long distance / continous record attempts have this many breaks allowed? Of course you can create any rules/regulations you want to in the pursuit of a "record". I assumed you even posted this because of the stupidity of claiming it as a "continous" swim with the afformentioned ability to take a 5 min break every hour.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: A world record for the fishes that any of you could attempt, and maybe get.... [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In all the long distance swims I have been involved with, the swimmers usually take a food/pee/whatever break every 20 to 30 minutes. So adds up to at least 5 minutes an hour, usually more..Now I'm not talking about the 10k olympic swims where they just feed on their backs for 20 to 30 seconds a few times, but full on channel crossing type swims. I mean if this guy actually swam in the OW all the swimming he did in the EP, he would have done at least a 120+ miles...

And continuous was really what piqued me, it was the fact that it was just an amount of time to swim, not how fast or how far...As I said before, have no real issue with the breaks, kind of have to in that format for that long....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All of those Guinness type world records allow 5 or so minutes per hour as breaks. Dancing, etc whatever. Not sure if you can stack them for 10 in 2 or whatever.
Most I've done pool swimming is about 12 hours in 27. (3 a days counting both morning 3 hr)
I've coached a few Catalina swims where I even napped for a couple hours in the 10-14 hour swims.
Hardest would be staying awake, next would be goggle strain.
(I would pee in that pool)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"He just did 3+ hours of not swimming in an 45 hour "continuous swim" record."

Bet I could do 10+ non-swim hours in that time period. Call Guinness. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: A world record for the fishes that any of you could attempt, and maybe get.... [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rumpled wrote:
All of those Guinness type world records allow 5 or so minutes per hour as breaks. Dancing, etc whatever. Not sure if you can stack them for 10 in 2 or whatever.
Most I've done pool swimming is about 12 hours in 27. (3 a days counting both morning 3 hr)
I've coached a few Catalina swims where I even napped for a couple hours in the 10-14 hour swims.

Rumpled - Just out of sheer curiosity, how many days in a row did you do the 9 hr/day swimming??? Just curious as this is the most training I've heard of for pool swimmers.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I remembered the name so I looked it up. He took gold in10 k in2008 in bejeing. Has the record for most k swam in 24 hours. Leukemia survivor and has raised millions for cancer research. So he is pretty impressive in other endeavours

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: A world record for the fishes that any of you could attempt, and maybe get.... [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Rumpled wrote:

Rumpled - Just out of sheer curiosity, how many days in a row did you do the 9 hr/day swimming??? Just curious as this is the most training I've heard of for pool swimmers.

Maybe 3 out of 6 hit 7+ hours. Only one hit 9. By having a 9 hr day and a 3 the next morning gave me 12 in 27.
In a two week span with a few days off for Xmas our D group did 100x100, 5x5000, a 1k to 5k and back pyramid and a few other wicked days.
1983 to 1984
Quote Reply
Re: A world record for the fishes that any of you could attempt, and maybe get.... [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rumpled wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Rumpled wrote:

Maybe 3 out of 6 hit 7+ hours. Only one hit 9. By having a 9 hr day and a 3 the next morning gave me 12 in 27.
In a two week span with a few days off for Xmas our D group did 100x100, 5x5000, a 1k to 5k and back pyramid and a few other wicked days.
1983 to 1984

Man, that is some serious swimming. Thanks for the details. Those 25-30K days would kill most people's shoulders. :)

Quote Reply
Re: A world record for the fishes that any of you could attempt, and maybe get.... [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Rumpled wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Rumpled wrote:

1983 to 1984

Man, that is some serious swimming. Thanks for the details. Those 25-30K days would kill most people's shoulders. :)

Several years ago there was a guy doing some serious distance training for a 10K race. I dont have the details exact but his workouts was like 800 warmup, 6 x 1000's descend 1-6 and 6 x 2000's descend 1-6, 400 warm down. I told him "Yeah, I did almost the same workout but I did 100's and 200's instead of 1000 and 2000s". The guy was good too, I seem to recall getting down to1:15ish in LCM on that set.

The swimmers that committed really are amazing to me.
Quote Reply
Re: A world record for the fishes that any of you could attempt, and maybe get.... [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Rumpled wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Rumpled wrote:

1983 to 1984

Several years ago there was a guy doing some serious distance training for a 10K race. I dont have the details exact but his workouts was like 800 warmup, 6 x 1000's descend 1-6 and 6 x 2000's descend 1-6, 400 warm down. I told him "Yeah, I did almost the same workout but I did 100's and 200's instead of 1000 and 2000s". The guy was good too, I seem to recall getting down to1:15ish in LCM on that set.

The swimmers that committed really are amazing to me.

That is 19,200 LCM in a single workout, which is an amazing amount of swimming. I wonder what he did next day, surely a shorter workout, maybe just an "easy 6000 m recovery swim". :)

Just for the record, some 12,000 scy days, some 70,000 scy weeks, and one 50,000/wk average for a year are the most I've ever done, and I've always thrown in a lot of kicking in there, like maybe 1/3 kick.

Quote Reply