Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Alysio Montaño - true Olympic medallist
Quote | Reply
Ekaterina Poistogova (RUS, now Guliyev TUR) initially finished #3 in the 2012 London Olympics 800m but was upgraded to silver when the first across the line, Mariya Savinova (RUS), was found guilty of doping and stripped of her gold medal. Now, after Poistogova’s ban has been extended to before 2012, Alysia Montaño (USA), who originally finished #5, has been upgraded to the bronze medal. This complements the two world championship bronze medals Montaño eventually received in 2019 for her performances in the 2011 and 2013 World Championships (after drug cheats were retrospectively banned and stripped).

https://www.instagram.com/...3_zpAv7/?img_index=3
"Time. It waits for no one. We’ve all heard that. It’s true, and it’s what we have that makes life’s moments so precious. Olympic Bronze medalist 12 years later….I think about loss, but I try not to… who was here that isn’t, mainly my grandma, Mama, our biggest supporter and inspiration. What could have been that isn’t… the struggle that didn’t have to be (my stomach in knots doing so). A mixed bag of emotions, truth prevailing, heartbreak and relief, joy and pain. A constant dull ache over the last 48 hours, one that I’d learned to suppress over the years, but there. It’s not a good feeling to live with for so many years. How can clean athletes be supported better?

"2012- 12 years ago. A lot of loss. 3 podium moments that should have happened in real time that didn’t?!
There is also a lot I moved forward with by knowing deep down. I couldn’t let dopers win. I moved forward with my family knowing this Olympic medal was mine. I laid it out there every time. I have no regrets, only that I wish I was supported in real time - I ran with integrity I represented myself, my family, my country, my friends, my supporters and my community with honor. I respected and respect my competitors and their pursuit. That’s what the Olympic spirit is suppose to embody. Respect, bravery, courage. I fought well and true and I always will.

"I put my foot forward to leave the sport better than I found it and I fight for the future and I’ll continue to fight. It’s time to fight for me in the present, but also her in the past… we fight for justice. We need policy reform we need to institute an athlete mental health protection policy plan and a institute a framework that pays athletes for their loss. Here’s my ask at the very least: I want my medal at LA2028 in front of my entire family and friends on my home turf. I waited this long, 4 more years to do it right. I also want financial losses recouped. The emotions are so very mixed, but I believe this is the least that can be done. Who’s with me?"

https://www.essentiallysports.com/...ian-athletes-doping/
Last edited by: Ajax Bay: Apr 11, 24 4:07
Quote Reply