Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Beginner-ish - Tri Bike Advice Needed
Quote | Reply
Hey everyone,

After lurking these forums for a year or so, I've decided to take the plunge with a first post...

Got into triathlon pretty recently and just finished my 3rd season so I'm still learning a lot. Was lucky enough to qualify for Lahti 70.3 WCs this year. After this, I came to the conclusion that I could, and probably should, start taking this a bit more seriously and ultimately get a proper bike rather than shoehorning myself onto a road bike with clip on aero bars.

I had a new bike pre-fitting done and was told that the following would fit me:

Canyon Speedmax CF (Not CF SLX), Size Large
Cervelo P-Series (Not P5), Size 58
Factor Hanzo, Size XL
Trek Speed Concept Disc, XL
Quintana Roo X-PR, Size 56

Of these, the Cervelo and Canyon appealed most in terms of budget and components but am leaning towards the Cervelo due to similar price for DI2 versions and my perception that they are somewhat more available and aesthetically the cockpit of the Cervelo looked cleaner. Are these actually pretty similar in terms of quality or are there big considerations I should be aware of?

Also, as a follow up question, how often do people get out on their Tri bikes and how differently do they handle compared with a road bike? I live in Manhattan which (in my non-expert opinion) doesn't strike me as the ideal place for that sort of bike. I worry this will predominately live on the Tacx if this sort of bike needs a more risk free environment to be practical.

Thanks in advance for the help and looking forward to being a more active member of this forum!
Quote Reply
Re: Beginner-ish - Tri Bike Advice Needed [plymouthtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What are your fit numbers?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome. And starting at the end, yes the handling is different and so well worth practicing. In some ways it's inverted, need to ride it more when you first starting on tri-bars/tri frame, then after a couple of years (or decades now...sigh) then it doesn't take as long to get the handling sorted. Note that getting used to teh position you can do a lot of that on the trainer, but you get no 'handling' practice. Both are important. So spending a fair amount of time on the trainer over the year will get your body ready to ride, but need to be used to the feel of a side gust on the wheel to be able to use that position. From memory there's a decent route around central park isn't there - I only jogged around there and it was a while ago but remember seeing a wide bike path. That would be better than nothing.

Regarding the bike - great you've had a fit done. As Jim mentions, the X/Y and seat height would help people to comment, but that said you've paid a fitter to actually see you, spend an hour + assessing your body and their expertise to recommend, so you've got to offset that against the opinions shared here that only know you from your misleading forum name (My old GP is in the Plymouth UK Tri club, so wasn't expecting the manhattan location.

But I would say that your body will adapt to the TT position. And if you've not had a TT bike before the chances are after being in that position for a while, you may find that your flexibility changes and you may adapt to be able to go lower in a years time than in your fit now. Or if you are my age, be prepared to start going the other way each xmas... So the ability to change positions is probably important. Or more specifically on some of those bikes check where you are in terms of your fit figures and the range of adjustments, and the cost/complexity of adjusting 30mm each way. I've just ordered a Speed concept, and whilst there's massive of range in the x/y adjustability, there's only a few mm that can be done easily and without buying alternate towers that aren't especially cheap. Not saying avoid teh SC, but see if you are in the middle of the range or at the edge that may mean needing to buy more spacers/towers.
Quote Reply
Re: Beginner-ish - Tri Bike Advice Needed [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the well thought out reply - funny you hit on the Plymouth reference, I grew actually grew up there and only recently moved to the US for work.

Had a fit done by Acme in Brooklyn who came recommended - they initially just churned out a list of bikes that I should start taking a look at as they would fit, but I will follow up here with the specific numbers when I get them. The fit also comes with a follow up fit after I receive the bike which is great. The point I've taken from this is that I should apportion some value to my fit being closer to the middle of a particular sizing range so I can adjust as needed.

Noted on the handling, I'm used to wind and 60mm wheels but guess that this would be a step up from there. Do folks regularly ride the TT bike for the long weekend sessions AND switch it onto the turbo or does a road/TT bike lend itself to particular sessions?

Anecdotally I was wondering if people had views as to Canyon vs Cervelo - I haven't found too much difference on them aside from the Cervelo only having one bottle cage so would likely need to get used to other hydration solutions. Stock wheels on Canyon also looked marginally better. My biggest gripe with the Canyon is the availability and that I would likley have to go back to Europe to get it. I was wondering if I was overestimating how difficult they are to get hold of or whether this was going to be equally difficult with the Cervelo...?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fitting details below:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have looked hard at Canyon (and almost pulled the trigger earlier in the year), but the horror stories of people getting parts would likely steer me towards a Cervelo or QR. FWIW, I have a Canyon Grizl and love it. The proprietary nature of the Speedmax does concern me though.

Human Person
Quote Reply