Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Best option for a next bike...mix of road and gravel
Quote | Reply
So, I've been doing some indoor riding and recently got hooked on the life time gravel races. Very cool. I've been contemplating getting a new road bike but after watching the videos it's made me wonder. I love specialized bikes and am wondering what the best option is if I'm looking for a one bike to rule many...not all.

I currently have a SL6 Tarmac disc that I like, but I was looking at getting a specialized roubaix-but now I'm wondering if I should look at a diverge. Which bike is more versatile, the roubaix and have a separate gravel wheelset or the diverge and a road wheelset? I realize the crux is more focused on racing and lightness factor, plus it is likely out of my price range.

I foresee myself using the bike as mostly road with the ability to go on gravel whenever I want. I do have a basic mountain bike, but not sure if that makes sense to upgrade or replace.

If money wasn't a factor, I would have the following specialized bikes:
-Roubaix
-Tarmac SL7 OR 8
-Diverge
And maybe an aethos.

Is there another bike I should consider that is around 2500 to 3500? I don't NEED it to be carbon, just fit me and be something that catches my eye and is comfortable.

I know the cervelo caledon and aspero are options.

Thanks
Last edited by: littlefoot: Feb 15, 24 17:41
Quote Reply
Re: Best option for a next bike...mix of road and gravel [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My vote is for the Diverge if you want to ride gravel. I have the Expert Carbon 1x12 with eTap AXS. The Future Shock 2.0 is awesome. I did a recon ride yesterday for the Valley of Tears gravel race and it handled the smooth and rough parts of the ā€œrails to trailsā€ sections perfectly.

"The more you suffer, the more it shows you really care.ā€
Quote Reply
Re: Best option for a next bike...mix of road and gravel [BradTTU] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Kinda the way I am leaning, but curious what others think. Funny, I never thought I would consider a gravel bike-now I want one bad!
Quote Reply
Re: Best option for a next bike...mix of road and gravel [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should start with how much tire clearance you need on gravel. It will affect what chain rings will fit, which matters on the road.

If you don't need more than 35mm, then Endurace is a good option. I find the split seatpost makes it even more comfortable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was debating between a road and gravel bike and went with a racy gravel, the Look 765, then added a second set of inexpensive road wheels. Iā€™ve been on both road and gravel, and itā€™s been great. If you just want one bike, I suggest the gravel frame with road components so you have faster enough gearing for road rides and tire clearance for gravel. There are tons of good options, even if you go the all road route. Two wheel sets was key for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of choices out there. As someone else mentioned, a big part of the decision is knowing what the largest size tire is that you'll want to use. That will depend on what type of gravel riding you'll be doing. If just mostly crusher dust type stuff, you don't need wide. If Unbound type stuff, you prob want at least a 40mm.

I really like the new Trek Domane as a dual purpose, but I think it max's out at 38-40mm tire width.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for Canyon Endurace. Hard to beat in value.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is gravel like in your area? In my area folks easily get by with 32mm tubeless setups on endurance road bikes. But in other areas you need dedicated gravel geometry and more like as much gravel tire as you can fit in a bike.

When I see these questions, I often reply 'cyclocross bike'. It's how I do it.
Quote Reply
Re: Best option for a next bike...mix of road and gravel [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:

When I see these questions, I often reply 'cyclocross bike'. It's how I do it.

In my opinion the Crux is a much better looking bike than the Diverge. To me it looks like an off-road Aethos. Beautiful lines. The geometry is quite different on the crux. If you want a long and low bike, the Crux is a better option than the Diverge.

I know I SHOULD like the Diverge better for the type of riding I do, but if I was buying a Specialized gravel bike right now, i think it would be a Crux.

If i wasn't locked in to specialized, I'd either do a 3T (my current bike) or a Lauf at your budget range. I'd love a Factor Ostro Gravel but they are $$$$
Last edited by: rob_bell: Feb 16, 24 6:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Iā€™m a Specialized guy myself with a Stumpjumper, Roubaix, and now two Diverges. Why 2? My original Diverge is a ā€˜17 carbon, disc, old style future shock, and mechanical 105. I rode the piss out of that bike, est 25,000 miles. Lately, Iā€™ve become a believer in fat tires, specially the Pathfinders 42. I got them on my old Diverge but only had a postage stamp clearance. So tire size forced me to upgrade to the most current Divqerge expert. Sheā€™s a beauty with plenty of trie clearance.. Iā€™m fortunate that I can ride from my house and hit a 240 mile crushed aggregate trail with all types of gravel, road, and MTB trails/spurs coming off of it. Any of my bikes could ride that trail but the Diverge gives me the most flexibility on routes. I love my Roubaix on the road with hills and turns but it just doesnā€™t see the miles my gravel bike does. Same for tri bike which I probably put 20,000 miles when it was my only bike now just sits and waits for a tri race. The Stumpjumper gets the least love. Itā€™s very nice but I just dont ride single track much at all.

My advice: buy the bike youā€™ll ride the most. Also, think where youā€™ll be ridding 5 to 10 years down the road ( or trail).
Last edited by: TJ56: Feb 16, 24 8:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Instead of focusing on one brand, try a few and ride them. There are some models that are far above what you are looking at. I'd ride the Aspero, as that's such a versatile bike with everything you mention. Pinarrello, Canyon and 3T would also be on my wish list. Focus to Time if I had the $$.

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just picked up one of Dan's Open Wide gravel bikes. It is a beautiful bike. It came with huge tires (2.1/53) but the bike works really well on the road even with only 30lbs pressure. Also works on my mountain bike trails. I will probably get a second set of wheels for the road. I have a road bike with 25 tires that I will probably get rid of. I ride mountain bikes so it is a bit strange to be in road bike position on trails but think I will like it.

Andrew Inkpen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
littlefoot wrote:
So, I've been doing some indoor riding and recently got hooked on the life time gravel races. Very cool. I've been contemplating getting a new road bike but after watching the videos it's made me wonder. I love specialized bikes and am wondering what the best option is if I'm looking for a one bike to rule many...not all.

I currently have a SL6 Tarmac disc that I like, but I was looking at getting a specialized roubaix-but now I'm wondering if I should look at a diverge. Which bike is more versatile, the roubaix and have a separate gravel wheelset or the diverge and a road wheelset? I realize the crux is more focused on racing and lightness factor, plus it is likely out of my price range.

I foresee myself using the bike as mostly road with the ability to go on gravel whenever I want. I do have a basic mountain bike, but not sure if that makes sense to upgrade or replace.

If money wasn't a factor, I would have the following specialized bikes:
-Roubaix
-Tarmac SL7 OR 8
-Diverge
And maybe an aethos.

Is there another bike I should consider that is around 2500 to 3500? I don't NEED it to be carbon, just fit me and be something that catches my eye and is comfortable.

I know the cervelo caledon and aspero are options.

Thanks

Replying before I read the other responses. I'm also a big Specialzied fan and my current lineup is:

- Tarmac SL8
- Crux (the new version)
- Epic Evo
- Stumpjumper

If you can swing the cost or find a good deal, the new Crux is a pretty fantastic bike. Most of my gravel riding requires a decent amount of pavement to get to the gravel, so I wanted something that rides like a road bike on the pavement but is capable on gravel and light trails as well. I had the Crux built up with a 42t ring up front and 10-52 Eagle mtb setup in the rear which gives me adequate top-end on the road and plenty of off-road climbing ability. I do notice the larger cog jumps compared to my roadie and old gravel bike which was 2x, but it's not really a bad thing. The bike is light, agile, and really fun to ride on both road and gravel.

If I were choosing between the Roubaix and Diverge, I'd say the Diverge is probably more versatile simply because of the tire clearance. But I think your current Tarmac plus a Crux would be a great combination.

Also, having owned an Aethos and SL8 simultaneously, I didn't find any reason to keep them both. I loved my Aethos, it was a joy to ride, but the SL8's ride quality is nearly as good and it's definitely faster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
in that price range, have a look st the Scott Addict Gravel. definitely in the "fast gravel" side of things; I've also raced mine on the road. great value, nice looking.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Best option for a next bike...mix of road and gravel [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
in that price range, have a look st the Scott Addict Gravel. definitely in the "fast gravel" side of things; I've also raced mine on the road. great value, nice looking.

That might depend on which Lifetime events the OP is interested in. Max clearance on that is only for a 40mm tire. For the Unbound event for example I want at least a 42mm tire, if not a 45mm for the years that do the north route.

I'm in NWA for example where the gravel is pretty chunk and tons of sharp rocks and 45mm is my go to here. The amount of people you'll see "under tired" for Big Sugar (also a Lifetime event) and flatting at the beginning is a pretty staggering amount.
Quote Reply
Re: Best option for a next bike...mix of road and gravel [rob_bell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's another vote for the Crux. I've had one for two+ years and it's great. Remarkably comfortable for a bike that's so light. Geometry is a bit more roadish, but I ride mostly gravel with some single track without any issues.
Last edited by: joj4444: Feb 16, 24 14:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just going to throw out that a crux, or really any other bike with a standard bar/stem, with a redshift shockstop stem is going to be a lighter bike with basically the same performance as the diverge. I also think the suspension stem with a 40/42mm tire rides way better than a 50+mm tire. Once you reach a certain point the bike just feels slow.
Quote Reply
Re: Best option for a next bike...mix of road and gravel [Ham Sandwich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ham Sandwich wrote:
iron_mike wrote:

That might depend on which Lifetime events the OP is interested in. Max clearance on that is only for a 40mm tire. For the Unbound event for example I want at least a 42mm tire, if not a 45mm for the years that do the north route.

I'm in NWA for example where the gravel is pretty chunk and tons of sharp rocks and 45mm is my go to here. The amount of people you'll see "under tired" for Big Sugar (also a Lifetime event) and flatting at the beginning is a pretty staggering amount.

I didnā€™t interpret the OP to mean he was planning to race Lifetime events, just that the videos were causing him to consider a gravel bike over a new roadie.
Quote Reply
Re: Best option for a next bike...mix of road and gravel [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dgconner154 wrote:
Ham Sandwich wrote:
iron_mike wrote:

I didnā€™t interpret the OP to mean he was planning to race Lifetime events, just that the videos were causing him to consider a gravel bike over a new roadie.

Oh, I may have interpreted that entirely wrong. My bad!
Quote Reply
Re: Best option for a next bike...mix of road and gravel [Ham Sandwich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Itā€™s not 40 unless you are running their fenders. 45 without on a 700.
Last edited by: Pwraddr: Feb 16, 24 15:14
Quote Reply
Re: Best option for a next bike...mix of road and gravel [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Huge value in these. Way more agressive than a Diverge though. The diverge geo is meh.

Think depends on what the OP wants.

My daughter rides a Carbon Diverge and I have an Obed and Addict Gravel Tuned.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really enjoying my 3T RaceMax. Recently bought a Canyon MTB and would definitely buy from them again, could be worth a look as others have mentioned.
Quote Reply
Re: Best option for a next bike...mix of road and gravel [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dgconner154 wrote:
Ham Sandwich wrote:
iron_mike wrote:

Correct, I was inspired by the events, don't see myself doing unbound anytime soon! Although, maybe in the future when I retire and have time to ride up to 200 miles in a single event.

I appreciate everyone's responses. I had time today to hit one of two stores. I checked out a checkpoint-not bad. The prices were pretty decent due to a sale. It was a matte gray version that had GRX and was going for $2300 or something. I was surprised that the tires on the bike seemed fairly narrow-but were 40s. I expected the 40 to look much wider. I am hoping to look at some roubaixs and diverges next week. I didn't have time to hit up the store-that was another hour away.

I am not locked in on the specialized, I just think the look of their bikes speaks to me. I am open to 3T and others, but need to do a search for stores that are in the DC area that sell them. There used to be a store in DC but Trek bought them out.

Anyway, I will continue to look and research. Keep the feedback/input/experiences coming.
Quote Reply
Re: Best option for a next bike...mix of road and gravel [BradTTU] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 on the Diverge. The future shock is sweet, too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just got back from a specialized store visit and I walked out needing to buy a lottery ticket!

I am leaning towards getting a diverge but also now want an SL8 Tarmac. Lot's of thinking to do. The owner brought up a good point about the roubaix basically being a heavy road bike (said future shock basically ways the same as aethos frame) and asked if I wanted to be riding around with an extra pound in the bike. He said the roubaix can handle wider gravel tires, but he wouldn't suggest using it as such-which I guess I don't want to drop a lot of coin for road bike partial gravel bike. So, probably going to consider an SL8 frameset and a low end gravel bike.

They did have a crux there, which was a little tempting as it was on sale, but I think I'd rather have a top end road bike and lower end gravel bike.
Quote Reply

Prev Next