Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike renewal - Help
Quote | Reply
Good Morning Everyone,

My name is Ruben, ive done some 70.3 in the past 7 years, I own a P2 2014, Shimano 105 Mechanical Groupset, w/ HED DISC, I bought that bike and Ive done many good split with it, 2:26 in Cartagena and 2:21 in Buenos Aires.

I bought that bike in about 3K USD w/o the disc and the Garmin Pedals I own, if I try to sell this bike I would sell it complete in about 3K$, but Im looking for a Quintana Roo VPR 2023, Ultegra DI2, for about 8K USD.

Does it worth the investment, if I buy the Quintana Roo, would it last me like the Cervelo? I think this is a common question when somebody wants to renew his bike.

Thnks in advance, I would like to read your points of view
Quote Reply
Re: Bike renewal - Help [Rubeniri25] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. Maybe the market where you live is different, but I wouldn't count on 3k for a mechanical 105, even with a disc. More like 2.5k, assuming you sell a disc separately for 800.

2. Speed-wise, you'd be probably paying 5-6k for 10-15W savings at 45 km/h, which is probably more like 5-8W at 35 km/h.

3. The most benefit from this new bike is a) comfort and b) electronic gears. I don't like using single-point mechanical gearing in climbing or descending.

4. The brand you mentioned isn't well known for keeping the value like Cervelo.

5. N = 1, but I used to have a Canyon Speedmax CF SLX, the same one on which Frodeno won Kona in 2019 (just Dura Ace instead of SRAM Etap). I sold it and bought the new disc version. Am I faster? Not for me. Is it more practical & fun to ride? Yes.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike renewal - Help [Michal_CH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, actually if I sell it for 3K is with Garmin Pedals & Tap, and I would accept a 2.5-7 offer.

I just love my Cervelo P2, but, I think it has been a long time since I bought it and maybe its time right now to sell it, I know maybe I wont get that speed return on investment, but I would have a more confortable bike.

Im thinking about getting a 70.3 WC Slot in the next 2 years, so maybe a new bike would help me a little bit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A brand new 105 mechanical P-series is $3500 MSRP. In the US, a 10-year old P2 is closer to $500. Add in a used power meter and it's maybe $1000. $3000 USD for a 10-year old, entry level tri-bike sounds insane to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike renewal - Help [mgreer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, actually the market where I live in is different than the US Market
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Overall I'd have no doubts that if you buy that bike it'll last as long as your old P2, i.e. 10 years. Only potential issue over that time frame is that you'll probably need to replace the di2 battery, but over 10 years you'll still be able to find them I suspect. 20 years maybe not so much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Michal_CH wrote:

I used to have a Canyon Speedmax CF SLX, the same one on which Frodeno won Kona in 2019 (just Dura Ace instead of SRAM Etap). I sold it and bought the new disc version. Am I faster? Not for me. Is it more practical & fun to ride? Yes.

Out of curiosity, what do you mean by more practical and fun?

I found myself in a similar situation to the OP but for different reasons. I had the rim brake Speedmax CF 8.0 di2 and was very happy with it. Unfortunately two weeks ago it got totally broken when I got hit by a car in a roundabout. I was lucky, just some bothering contusions, road rush and a scar on my cheek (from the broken giro aero head). I hope to be able to start doing some S/B/R next week if injuries keep improving.

I'm now waiting to make a claim for compensation to the driver's insurance company while I scan the market. I'm hesitant on what to do. At times I think it's time to quit... But then I remember it's the only thing that has given me any joy in the last few years.

Currently there's no stock for the Speedmax di2 and Canyon support can't say when they'll be available. Trek SC is becoming an option. I have a friend with connections that would give me a 25% on MSRP... Another option would be a second-hand bike but can't see it viable. I found a 2019 rim brake SLX di2 but it's 800 miles away. I won't pay €4k for a 5 year old bike without seeing it in real life
Quote Reply
Re: Bike renewal - Help [anakinpm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about your accident, I'm glad you're almost there with the recovery.

On the practicality & fun... I live in Switzerland, so:
  • Obviously it can be hilly / mountainous. When going for a 1-2 day trip to Alps, I had refrained from taking the rim brake Speedmax, but I had no problem in riding on the disc brake Speedmax. Looks funny, but the new Speedmax is fully capable of riding Stelvio Pass up & down.
  • Roads are generally good quality and clean from debris, but can be either salty (in winter) or cow shit covered (in spring-autumn). With a disc brake bike I don't risk damaging or overly using the rim brake surface.
  • Disc version have had some exciting colours - I'm excited to have the humuhumunukunukuapua paint model ;)

Speedmax CF SLX rim is significantly faster than Speedmax CF rim. The consensus on the Internet is about 2 km/h and I echo this, having tried the Speedmax CF rim as well. I don't know if it's the less aggressive geometry or the lack of the integrated front hydration, but Speedmax CF was quite slow when I checked it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Many thanks for your reply Michal. And my apologies to the OP for interrupting his post.

Your playground sounds similar to mine. I was about to ask about climbing with if in fact. I live in Asturias (Spain) where La Vuelta goes for serious mountains. Altitude is not that high but climbs are terribly steep and descents technical. With my rim Speedmax I've done some stupid climbs and their descents. In December last year I made a wrong turn and did 2 kms at 13.5%. At first I thought it wasn't that bad and at midpoint I realized I had to kept going.

Really interesting about the speed difference. It's relevant coming from someone having tried both versions. I've already read about people getting faster but they usually explain it by new cockpits or wider tires.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Instead of the QR bike, are you able to buy a Cervelo P-series with disc brakes. They should be much cheaper than the QR and might be something that holds value better-as others have suggested.

The p-series is NOT a P-5disc bike, it is its on version. I say that only because some people confuse the "p2, p3, p5" bikes which are rim brake, with disc brake bikes.
Quote Reply