Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Blog
Quote | Reply

If someone was to “blog” a few biking related projects, possibly involving pros, what’s the way to go and the pros and cons of each from the reader’s point of view.

a) a written blog, some pictures. Probably sub standard grammar for a english as a second language.
b) some type of YouTube ? No way it’s going to be Talbot quality
c) some form of audio/podcast . Not everyone has a voice for radio...
d) FB
e) other ?

I am thinking a), but I am a dinosaur

The Idea is to share technical info.

Asking for a friend :-)
Last edited by: marcag: Jan 27, 24 9:45
Quote Reply
Re: Blog [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Personal preference, but a) all the way to me. I've tried to listen to a few technical blogs over the years, but to me they just get bogged down with filler material and casual chit-chat.

Plus, I'd think audio/video is much harder to produce with good production quality.

a) is pretty easy with WordPress.

Nuke d) from orbit.
Quote Reply
Re: Blog [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

we are probably close in generation. I suspect if you ask someone under 40 the answer would be quite different.

I think video if well done is probably best, but that is a whole different level of time/investment

consider d nuked and replaced by tik-tok :-)
Last edited by: marcag: Jan 27, 24 9:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd say a) or c). I do like reading content and being able to see figures to digest it, but I find i have more time to listen to things than read them. Any video would probably end up being mostly used as audio anyway, the main time I sit down to watch videos is when I'm on the trainer and technical content isn't my cup of tea then, and if I'm just listening to it that wastes all the effort you'd spent on visual production.

I'm 28 btw, and similarly nuke tik-tok, except do it twice to be sure

I'd definitely consume whatever content you put out though, written word, audio, video. Just not tik-tok :P
Last edited by: imswimmer328: Jan 27, 24 10:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you’re dealing with pros, no one cares about a blog. The answer is TikTok (and IG) or YouTube (in that order).

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Blog [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
If you’re dealing with pros, no one cares about a blog. The answer is TikTok (and IG) or YouTube (in that order).

so you suggest a little tik-tok dance move while explaining the impact of road surface on rolling resistance ? I have 3 kids, I am sure I could set up some type of choreography.

I will go pick a catchy tune for the selfi with at Lionel's tunnel adventure. Suggestions ?

I am kidding. I think technical blogs probably have very little interest.
Last edited by: marcag: Jan 28, 24 4:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm still much below 40 and would also go a) all the way. I can read at my own pace and scroll through a blog post. I typically speed through YouTube videos at 2x pace and only stay if they're very well made, and never managed to finish a single podcast...

https://besse.info/
https://www.strava.com/athletes/2012033
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:

If someone was to “blog” a few biking related projects, possibly involving pros, what’s the way to go and the pros and cons of each from the reader’s point of view.

a) a written blog, some pictures. Probably sub standard grammar for a english as a second language.
b) some type of YouTube ? No way it’s going to be Talbot quality
c) some form of audio/podcast . Not everyone has a voice for radio...
d) FB
e) other ?

I am thinking a), but I am a dinosaur

The Idea is to share technical info.

Asking for a friend :-)

having listened to some podcasts of you with gearmuncher you are good for c

you are not the guy to read ag1 adds but i do like listen to what you say.

from somebody over 40
Quote Reply
Re: Blog [jcbesse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jcbesse wrote:
I'm still much below 40 and would also go a) all the way. I can read at my own pace and scroll through a blog post. I typically speed through YouTube videos at 2x pace and only stay if they're very well made, and never managed to finish a single podcast...

This kind of points towards a faster consumed medium. If you don't finish a full youtube or podcast, seems like a 60 second tiktok seems to be ideal...

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Videos are good for popularization, but I usually find that the best technical info is found in written form (ex scholarly articles). Words fly away, writings remain.
Quote Reply
Re: Blog [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
jcbesse wrote:

This kind of points towards a faster consumed medium. If you don't finish a full youtube or podcast, seems like a 60 second tiktok seems to be ideal...

Maybe. Though I wouldn't go to tiktok for technical stuff (yet do read most dcr blog posts and do not watch his youtube videos).
Do with that what you want...

https://besse.info/
https://www.strava.com/athletes/2012033
Last edited by: jcbesse: Jan 29, 24 0:18
Quote Reply
Re: Blog [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who goes to blog?? Just do YouTube videos and you are all set.
Quote Reply
Re: Blog [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
Who goes to blog??

people looking for technical data ;-)
Quote Reply