Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Calling all Marcags: Let's talk about Zipp's new disc [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:

Also, I don’t really buy that WT teams are riding exactly what zipp, enve, cadex calculators say. Are they close, probably. But it’s going to vary based on the day, road conditions, weather, etc. I’d also say that we need to put aside what they do during road stages and instead look at what they are doing during TT stages.

Please correct any of this

The guys on Enve (UAE) end up using non Enve wheels for their top guys. They use hooked
The Cadex guys (Jayco) are still on rim brakes, They use hooked.
One of the Zipp teams claim they run at 4.9. The UCI said they have to, so I bet they have to say that.

As for the claim Movistar rode them to 2nd in the TTT last year, it was pooring rain.
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all Marcags: Let's talk about Zipp's new disc [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m potentially in the market for a disc with exactly these specs, but I’d still like to see some solid data on how much faster this would be than my current gen 808 rear wheel .

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all Marcags: Let's talk about Zipp's new disc [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
Slowman wrote:
thank you for the clarification. and for your participation in this thread. you're a good sport to indulge me.

you're absolutely right and i'll go further: whether i'm forking out $3000 or $300 i don't want to have to compromise. i'm glad you brought up optimization. i am routinely disappointed when i go to industry events and it's clear by the display that the brand folks in charge don't understand the features of the product(s) they make. i was heartened by the display in zipp's booth, where they're showing this new disc, because this BMC tri/TT bike is one case where the entire bike, from the frame to the wheel to the tire, is an optimized and fairly mature system. i think you can see how that is.

from disc brakes to tubeless to the whole wider tire thing i've always been at a disadvantage because i'm arguing in favor of the system when the system doesn't yet exist. disc brakes in tri bikes. questionable idea in 2016. until the system emerges that absorbs that tech.

so, i think we'll see a lot of 28c, which measure 30mm on average, on TT and tri bikes and they'll work now because all the new road bikes and most of the new tri bikes are optimized for this size, as are the wheels. this is why a tire of that size doesn't give up much if anything in aero, and wins big in Crr, handling, comfort. as for road, 25c is gone, even if some people don't know it yet. i think you see this in your own work with pro teams, yes? the working size in mass start racing is from 28c to 32c depending on road condition. this was inconceivable 2 years ago.

as to pressure what i'm hearing is that pro riders keep asking for wider rims, lower pressures, wider rims, lower pressures. but that's for this time of year. spring races. on the TT side, you would know more than i do. i don't find 5.8 bar scary or risky because i ride mostly zipp, cadex, enve and vittoria, schwalbe, cadex tires, goodyear, i trust all those combos to be safe at any pressure up to 85psi (notwithstanding the ETRTO's guidance of 72.5psi). if i was riding a different wheel or tire i might conclude differently. i personally don't ever feel a need in any of my riding, any use case, to exceed 65psi but it would be silly for me, where i sit, to lecture you on your business with your teams.

but there is one thing i would like to be clear on. there are tire brands i'm not listing above and i don't only avoid some of these brands for hookless, i avoid them for hooked. the safety issue isn't hooked or hookless. the safety issue is just the tire itself, regardless of the rim type.

And I thank you for not banning me for being a dick at times. The Canadian side of me is nice. The Frenchman side is argumentative.

Talking to the guy that was on hookless and believed he was leaving a bit on the table, they have been told, very clearly, 4.9max. Period, end of story. Now, will they bend the rules if they are off the podium by 10seconds on the last stage Monaco to Nice ?

You mentioned a bunch of brands there. One mechanic of a hookless team I was speaking to was responsible for making sure the pressure in the tires that go on the roof racks had .5 bar less in them because they were popping in the sun. His completely unscientific opinion was that it was tire related not wheel. He explained why, I can't disclose, but he really put suspicion in my head.

Here's a tough question : tomorrow morning I have to buy a disc. I will go 28, fine. I am a billionaire, money is not object (this is an imaginary situation). Why do I go with the hookless Zipp wheel where I may be borderline vs the HED hooked wheel where I have 0 to worry about ? If it was gravel, I don't care. Cobbles or casual road riding, I don't care. But I have a TT or Tri to do, why do I take the hookless wheel ? Maybe I'm too fixated on the 72.5. Which is strange because I always considered speed limits on the road as recommendations rather than rules.

on the tires: i am quite confident that none of the hookless wheels i ride for the road would lose a tire at anything remotely close to 5 bar. 7 bar then i'd begin to be concerned. otoh, a tire that would blow off at 6 bar on a zipp or cadex wheel, you're dreaming if you think that tire is safe on a hooked wheel. there are just unreliable tires, in my opinion, and i suspect this began with the move to road tubeless. the issue is the bead. bead stretch. but i'm not going to name specific tires or brands because it's just my opinion and i don't think it's fair to throw a brand under the bus without the kind of evidence i don't have.

on the disc wheel i'd buy tomorrow morning: i'm going to ride tubeless. so, discs that aren't tubeless optimized are disqualified. second thing, 28c tire. third, at least a 22mm inner bead width. i'm not riding 5 bar so zipp is not disqualified. whether i buy a zipp or a HED now falls to other considerations. is it aero? does it fit my budget? i would just go down the list of imperatives, disqualify discs that don't hit my thresholds, see what remains, probably buy the cheapest one.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all Marcags: Let's talk about Zipp's new disc [Slowerthanyou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowerthanyou wrote:
Been lurking on these threads. Dan you have shared your imperatives, and your preferred set up, several times.
Would you mind sharing your weight, kitted up, bike and bottles, heading out of the garage?
For the euro folks, who do indeed have better roads, a few photos of your typical riding surfaces, and a few of the more impressive frost heaves, might prove interesting.

i'm 170lb, the road bikes are around 16lb so that plus bottles and so on.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all Marcags: Let's talk about Zipp's new disc [Hanginon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hanginon wrote:
There are many here who have far more industry insight than me - my opinions are largely based on what I see happening in the real world.

There are two Time Trials in this year's TDF - neither having an uphill cobblestone finish :-). We won't really know how much pressure is in the tires. We won't really know if they are riding special one-off tires not available to the public.

None the less, if anyone gets on the Podium with a 30mm wide (or wider) front tire in those TT's, in ST's spirit of putting your money where your mouse is, I will send Slowman a crisp $20 bill.

why don't you send me a 20 peso bill now, since at least 2 of the 4 marquis winners in last year's UCI world TT championships (overall and U23 mens and womens) were on that tire width front and rear.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all Marcags: Let's talk about Zipp's new disc [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Slowman wrote:
Hanginon wrote:
There are many here who have far more industry insight than me - my opinions are largely based on what I see happening in the real world.

There are two Time Trials in this year's TDF - neither having an uphill cobblestone finish :-). We won't really know how much pressure is in the tires. We won't really know if they are riding special one-off tires not available to the public.

None the less, if anyone gets on the Podium with a 30mm wide (or wider) front tire in those TT's, in ST's spirit of putting your money where your mouse is, I will send Slowman a crisp $20 bill.

why don't you send me a 20 peso bill now, since at least 2 of the 4 marquis winners in last year's UCI world TT championships (overall and U23 mens and womens) were on that tire width front and rear.

And none of the top 10 in last years TDF TT
Last edited by: marcag: Apr 21, 24 14:44
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all Marcags: Let's talk about Zipp's new disc [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:

The guys on Enve (UAE) end up using non Enve wheels for their top guys. They use hooked

I thought someone posted on another thread that these were Enve prototypes:

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all Marcags: Let's talk about Zipp's new disc [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
marcag wrote:

I believe they are Aerocoach AEOX

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah. Maybe I misread that thread/post or imagined that for some reason. Looks exactly like you said. Thanks

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
stevej wrote:
marcag wrote:

I believe they are Aerocoach AEOX

yes, they didn't use enve wheels.
however enve's disc and deepest front (7.8) specs:
  • Inner rim width: 18.5mm / 19mm
  • Aero Optimized Tire Size: 25c
  • Hooked

so the reason they choose non-sponsor wheels has nothing to do with hookless, tire pressure or tire width.
UAE chose enve as their wheel brand for road stages (where they do ride hookless etc) before arranging sponsorship.
for TT they choose aerocoach but none of that is relevant to the current discussion either way aside from Dan's potential $20
Last edited by: pk1: Apr 21, 24 20:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

on the disc wheel i'd buy tomorrow morning: i'm going to ride tubeless. so, discs that aren't tubeless optimized are disqualified. second thing, 28c tire. third, at least a 22mm inner bead width. i'm not riding 5 bar so zipp is not disqualified. whether i buy a zipp or a HED now falls to other considerations. is it aero? does it fit my budget? i would just go down the list of imperatives, disqualify discs that don't hit my thresholds, see what remains, probably buy the cheapest one.

This is about 10 steps more than anyone thinks about when buying a set of wheels to race on.

In a 2500 person triathlon < 1% of people have a decision tree like you do.

maybe 1 in 500 think about inner bead width but probably more like 1 in 1500. 1 in 200 think about tire width, probably more like 1 in 1000. almost everyone is going to buy because they recognize the name, then they are going to slap the tire on there that their bike shop tells them to or they can get on sale.

Why do you think you see so many gatorskins on a set of 808's?

I've aero tested pros, pros who have won more than 1 race last year and people in the top 5% of triathletes thinking about their equipment. They didn't know they were on hookless wheels.

You are the 1% of 1% of triathletes. Let's talk about the other 99+% and how they actually buy wheels to race on.

That's why hookless is a dumb fucking idea

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Apr 21, 24 20:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Ah. Maybe I misread that thread/post or imagined that for some reason. Looks exactly like you said. Thanks

No. You read it correctly. It confused me too as those are clearly Aerocoach wheels. The poster reps Enve for marketing and is tight with their team. Maybe he received some incorrect info on what was available to the team vs. what was used that day?
Last edited by: SummitAK: Apr 21, 24 23:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
marcag wrote:
Slowman wrote:
thank you for the clarification. and for your participation in this thread. you're a good sport to indulge me.

you're absolutely right and i'll go further: whether i'm forking out $3000 or $300 i don't want to have to compromise. i'm glad you brought up optimization. i am routinely disappointed when i go to industry events and it's clear by the display that the brand folks in charge don't understand the features of the product(s) they make. i was heartened by the display in zipp's booth, where they're showing this new disc, because this BMC tri/TT bike is one case where the entire bike, from the frame to the wheel to the tire, is an optimized and fairly mature system. i think you can see how that is.

from disc brakes to tubeless to the whole wider tire thing i've always been at a disadvantage because i'm arguing in favor of the system when the system doesn't yet exist. disc brakes in tri bikes. questionable idea in 2016. until the system emerges that absorbs that tech.

so, i think we'll see a lot of 28c, which measure 30mm on average, on TT and tri bikes and they'll work now because all the new road bikes and most of the new tri bikes are optimized for this size, as are the wheels. this is why a tire of that size doesn't give up much if anything in aero, and wins big in Crr, handling, comfort. as for road, 25c is gone, even if some people don't know it yet. i think you see this in your own work with pro teams, yes? the working size in mass start racing is from 28c to 32c depending on road condition. this was inconceivable 2 years ago.

as to pressure what i'm hearing is that pro riders keep asking for wider rims, lower pressures, wider rims, lower pressures. but that's for this time of year. spring races. on the TT side, you would know more than i do. i don't find 5.8 bar scary or risky because i ride mostly zipp, cadex, enve and vittoria, schwalbe, cadex tires, goodyear, i trust all those combos to be safe at any pressure up to 85psi (notwithstanding the ETRTO's guidance of 72.5psi). if i was riding a different wheel or tire i might conclude differently. i personally don't ever feel a need in any of my riding, any use case, to exceed 65psi but it would be silly for me, where i sit, to lecture you on your business with your teams.

but there is one thing i would like to be clear on. there are tire brands i'm not listing above and i don't only avoid some of these brands for hookless, i avoid them for hooked. the safety issue isn't hooked or hookless. the safety issue is just the tire itself, regardless of the rim type.

And I thank you for not banning me for being a dick at times. The Canadian side of me is nice. The Frenchman side is argumentative.

Talking to the guy that was on hookless and believed he was leaving a bit on the table, they have been told, very clearly, 4.9max. Period, end of story. Now, will they bend the rules if they are off the podium by 10seconds on the last stage Monaco to Nice ?

You mentioned a bunch of brands there. One mechanic of a hookless team I was speaking to was responsible for making sure the pressure in the tires that go on the roof racks had .5 bar less in them because they were popping in the sun. His completely unscientific opinion was that it was tire related not wheel. He explained why, I can't disclose, but he really put suspicion in my head.

Here's a tough question : tomorrow morning I have to buy a disc. I will go 28, fine. I am a billionaire, money is not object (this is an imaginary situation). Why do I go with the hookless Zipp wheel where I may be borderline vs the HED hooked wheel where I have 0 to worry about ? If it was gravel, I don't care. Cobbles or casual road riding, I don't care. But I have a TT or Tri to do, why do I take the hookless wheel ? Maybe I'm too fixated on the 72.5. Which is strange because I always considered speed limits on the road as recommendations rather than rules.

on the tires: i am quite confident that none of the hookless wheels i ride for the road would lose a tire at anything remotely close to 5 bar. 7 bar then i'd begin to be concerned. otoh, a tire that would blow off at 6 bar on a zipp or cadex wheel, you're dreaming if you think that tire is safe on a hooked wheel. there are just unreliable tires, in my opinion, and i suspect this began with the move to road tubeless. the issue is the bead. bead stretch. but i'm not going to name specific tires or brands because it's just my opinion and i don't think it's fair to throw a brand under the bus without the kind of evidence i don't have.

I’d guess your personal hookless TLR list is similar to the list Enve posts for their wheels. Their list is from testing the tires on their wheels. They even recommend pressures higher than the new standards for some of the rim and tire combos. I assume these came from straight up testing.

The aspect of their list that stands out to me is how short it is. The other concerning aspect is the lack of the fastest rolling tires on their list.

Personally, I’m all in on tubeless for all my bikes besides the TT/Tri. I’m mostly all in on hookless for these bikes too, just because I’ve historically used Zipp and Enve brands due to warrranty and customer service. Some of this tubeless transition also came due to lack of recent racing for me. Like Trail posted previously, after years of balanced riding between TT and road/gravel bikes, I now find myself picking the road/gravel options due to the more comfortable TLR tires.

At the same time, I’ve had to keep my wife’s equipment updated for tri racing as she’s never stopped competing. When we updated her to a new bike, it was disc brake. So, new training and race wheels. She uses Zipp and all they offered last year for deep wheels was hookless. A lot of the concerns expressed in this thread aren’t an issue for her cuz she’s small and prolly lighter than all but the tiniest of Marcag’s UCI WT tested riders. Zipp is at 23mm internal for their deep race wheels (last year’s disc is 19mm internal).

The biggest bummer I noted when setting her up, was that Conti’s newest hookless compatible GP5000S TR and GP5000 TT tires in the 25mm width are not compatible with an internal rim width over 21mm. So, a 23mm internal width Zipp rim requires a 28mm or larger Conti tire. All of Conti’s tires larger than 25mm work with 25mm internal rim widths. This was a surprise to me. They skip over Zipp’s racing wheel standard of 23mm internal completely. Schwalbe is less conservative and does list their 25mm race rubber as 23mm internal rim width compatible. We’ve used these and in addition to rolling a little slower they proved less puncture resistant and don’t seal well so they are no longer an option.
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all Marcags: Let's talk about Zipp's new disc [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SummitAK wrote:

At the same time, I’ve had to keep my wife’s equipment updated for tri racing as she’s never stopped competing. When we updated her to a new bike, it was disc brake. So, new training and race wheels. She uses Zipp and all they offered last year for deep wheels was hookless. A lot of the concerns expressed in this thread aren’t an issue for her cuz she’s small and prolly lighter than all but the tiniest of Marcag’s UCI WT tested riders. Zipp is at 23mm internal for their deep race wheels (last year’s disc is 19mm internal).

The biggest bummer I noted when setting her up, was that Conti’s newest hookless compatible GP5000S TR and GP5000 TT tires in the 25mm width are not compatible with an internal rim width over 21mm. So, a 23mm internal width Zipp rim requires a 28mm or larger Conti tire. All of Conti’s tires larger than 25mm work with 25mm internal rim widths. This was a surprise to me. They skip over Zipp’s racing wheel standard of 23mm internal completely. Schwalbe is less conservative and does list their 25mm race rubber as 23mm internal rim width compatible. We’ve used these and in addition to rolling a little slower they proved less puncture resistant and don’t seal well so they are no longer an option.

That shouldn't be a bummer. She should be on 28 because of the 5 bar limit.

We tested a 59kg woman on hookless 22mm internal.

She was running Conti 25. Her optimal tire pressure on a good surface (Kona like) was over 5 bar. We only tested to 5.5 bar for safety reasons. At 5 she was giving up 4watts. She was a Kona AG winner. I suspect on a 28 tire optimal would have been a hair under 5 bar. Still borderline IMO for a light female.

It's a data point of n=1. Finding the heavy folks for testing is easy. Next session needs to be all ladies. Anyone have Chloe Dygert's number ?
Last edited by: marcag: Apr 22, 24 3:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Paging Jim.
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all Marcags: Let's talk about Zipp's new disc [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
A $3000 disc wheel that isn't lenticular and requires a 60psi 28c (or wider) tire. That's a bold move Cotton. I'll bet they sell tens and tens of these.
Are lenticular discs more desirable for some reason? I've never read on the topic of lenticular vs flat. Got any resources/links?

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all Marcags: Let's talk about Zipp's new disc [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
That doesn't happen on race day for real... right?

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Last edited by: DrAlexHarrison: Apr 22, 24 3:56
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all Marcags: Let's talk about Zipp's new disc [likes_bikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
likes_bikes wrote:
Paging Jim.

didn't your daughter just start racing ? She's light....perfect for CRR testing
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all Marcags: Let's talk about Zipp's new disc [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
desert dude wrote:

it does the most famous would be andy potts
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all Marcags: Let's talk about Zipp's new disc [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
desert dude wrote:

I used to love walking the racks the day before a major race. I used to make fun of bad decisions aka people's bikes on my IG account. There was just too much content.

The average triathlete who is showing up to challenge themselves, wants to finish yet isn't there to crush the dreams and hopes of others often makes a lot of less than ideal decisions about their bike set up. Yet this isn't exclusive to that group. It happens from the pro racks down. Some people, a lot of people actually, just make the race harder for themselves.

I'd say at any 70.3 < 50% of the field has actually optimized their setups even if >50% of the field thinks they have

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
likes_bikes wrote:
Paging Jim.

didn't your daughter just start racing ? She's light....perfect for CRR testing

She's in the U-5 category on an optimized Woom bike setup. Aero AF!

Andy Potts is nervously lurking here eyeing up the Gatorskins comment.
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all Marcags: Let's talk about Zipp's new disc [likes_bikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
likes_bikes wrote:
Andy Potts is nervously lurking here eyeing up the Gatorskins comment.

I was going to comment I've never seen Gatorskins on a set of 808s *except* Potts. In like 20 years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
Are lenticular discs more desirable for some reason? I've never read on the topic of lenticular vs flat. Got any resources/links?

Generally slightly more aero. Though some knowledable people here have said that flat tests better with some frames/body positions.
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all Marcags: Let's talk about Zipp's new disc [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Slowman wrote:

This is about 10 steps more than anyone thinks about when buying a set of wheels to race on.

In a 2500 person triathlon < 1% of people have a decision tree like you do.

maybe 1 in 500 think about inner bead width but probably more like 1 in 1500. 1 in 200 think about tire width, probably more like 1 in 1000. almost everyone is going to buy because they recognize the name, then they are going to slap the tire on there that their bike shop tells them to or they can get on sale.

I've aero tested pros, pros who have won more than 1 race last year and people in the top 5% of triathletes thinking about their equipment. They didn't know they were on hookless wheels.

You are the 1% of 1% of triathletes. Let's talk about the other 99+% and how they actually buy wheels to race on.

That's why hookless is a dumb fucking idea

if i'm asked about how others decide on which wheels they'll buy i'll answer that. i was asked how *i* would choose a wheel and i answered it that way. i don't think my imperatives are that obscure. tubeless. is that obscure? selecting a wheel that accommodates the tire i intend to ride? if that's way beyond the scope of the typical disc wheel purchase okay. i just am surprised by that.

as to what are dumb fucking ideas, based on the views voiced here on this forum from leading industry influencers just think how much faster some of these guys today could go if they went back to latex tubes in 23c tires on rim brake bikes.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"latex tubes in 23c tires on rim brake bikes."
-------------------
hey - hey - hey!! You are getting personal now (Although I have evolved a bit) . . . session w/ Desert dude this afternoon :-)!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply

Prev Next