Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Chain Slip Help
Quote | Reply
I know this question has been asked 1000 times on the internet and perhaps on these forums but every situation is different, no?

I'm getting chain slip on my road bike. Only happens under sprint power (for me, that's only like 500-ish), and only in big chainring/smallest cogs. I need help diagnosing this problem.

The chain and cassette are both new (chain new 2 months ago, only a couple hundred miles maybe, cassette new last week). Easy first culprits eliminated.

I have painstakingly ensured my RD is adjusted properly. Drivetrain makes absolutely no noise, shifts perfectly, and limit screws (particularly H, since happens on outermost cogs) are aligned. I do not think that is the issue.

System is: allez sprint disc, 105 R7000 RD, R8000 cassette, dura ace chain w/ Silca super secret, front rings are praxis 48/32.

So, possible culprits as far as my research leads me:

1. Freehub pawl engagement problem. I have not investigated this, I can, but since the issue is only produced in certain gears, as opposed to simply a certain power, can this be eliminated? My sense is that if 500W makes it skip, the 500W force on the freehub should produce the issue no matter what gear it's in, if that is where the problem lies.

2. RD hanger/pulley is bent. This seems to be a reasonable culprit. The RD is old-ish (105 R7000, total mileage unknown but probably at least 7000 mi). However, again the drivetrain is perfectly silent and performs 100% flawlessly in terms of shifting, so these part(s) being bent only makes partial sense. Is it feasible that they'd only

3. Frame flex causes misalignment. Logically might make sense, but I'm no elite rider, the power where this happens is 500-ish watts, not 1500. And, the bike is a specialized allez sprint disc which everyone says is stiff as all heck, so I don't think this makes sense to be the culprit.

4. Crack in the frame. Again, unlikely but I can't dismiss the possibility. I've inspected every inch of the lower triangle, no evidence of crack. since the frame is aluminum, anyone have any handy tips on how to search for cracks? I imagine if this was the case i'd hear worse noises or have other symptoms while riding besides chain slip.

5. something with the front chainring - internet indicates this can cause rear slippage, but i'm not sure how? in any event, the teeth are not worn, and while ring is a non-standard 48t, people run that type of size or smaller all the time with 1x setups and it's only 2t away from standard 50, so I wasn't thinking the problem is up front but maybe i'm missing something.

Before I sink a bunch of money into this, wanted to consult the wisdom that be ST. I know a new RD or RD hanger as a first step isn't a ton of money, but want to make sure I'm thinking straight before I go down the rabbit hole of what to spend on to diagnose and fix this.
Quote Reply
Re: Chain Slip Help [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You might have a counterfeit chain.

What did the lubrication on it feel like?
Quote Reply
Re: Chain Slip Help [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting. I did get it on Amazon. Packaging seemed legit but you never know I guess.

What do you mean specifically? The factory lube? Can't say I remember. I threw it in a Gatorade bottle with silca chain stripper immediately upon unboxing it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PBT_2009 wrote:
Interesting. I did get it on Amazon. Packaging seemed legit but you never know I guess.

What do you mean specifically? The factory lube? Can't say I remember. I threw it in a Gatorade bottle with silca chain stripper immediately upon unboxing it.

Shimano chains have a sticky lube on them.

Counterfeit chains feel oily (wet lube).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Id like to think with the amount of chains I've gone thru in my cycling life that if it was not the normal factory grease when I pulled it out of the box, my alarm bells would have gone off. But I can't remember with certainty.

Thanks for the input! Didn't think about that possibility.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only thing you haven't replaced is the front chainring. Do you have the original ones to put on and try? Swap a crankset with another bike ?
Swap your rear wheel with a friends bike to rule that out. You are saying it only happens in the big ring and not the small. Start there.
Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Chain Slip Help [Flanders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I have the previous rings, but i can't remember if they're still kicking around in my toolbox.

I guess I just don't understand how the front ring can cause slippage on the rear. I may be overlooking something, forgive me
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If your front rings are worn, it can cause the chain to skip in the rear. Same w a bent tooth - which is sometimes hard to see

Was the old chain / cassette pretty worn?

500w isn’t very much to get a chain skip. I’d be scared to ride that outside - super quick to wreck if you’re not careful
Quote Reply
Re: Chain Slip Help [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a brand new chain skipping out of the box this week actually. I got it on my work stand and discovered that one of the link pins was so tight that a single chain link connection had seized up. This caused skipping on my four smallest cogs in the rear but not the rest of them because the inability of the chain to bend wasn’t as much of a problem on the bigger diameters. Should be an easy and quick task to check each link connection to make sure they are moving freely.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As Jim said, *very* likely counterfeit chain. Have you measured it? Many/most of these are off spec right out of the box.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Assuming it's not counterfeit...

Sounds like you've investigated the worn cassette issue.

My brain is foggy today. I can't remember if 11sp Shimano chains were directional. Pretty sure the quick links were. Have you checked that?
Quote Reply
Re: Chain Slip Help [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Using chain checker it does not measure as stretched/long. Any other measurements I can do, or other way to tell?

Quick link has an arrow on it pointing in right direction so that isn't a culprit either.

Thanks all for the help with this!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
De nada.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What brand is the quick link?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Says Shimano on it.

I reviewed the above video, unfortunately I don't have the packaging anymore so those clues are out, but looking at the shape of machining cuts on the chain, etched writing, and comparing all that to the manual on shimanos website, it all matches up. And the pins are indeed hollow as they should be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it's the chainrings. Get new ones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suspect this may sound crazy, but have you tried unclipping the quick link and reversing the chain (upside down) and try again? or just another known good chain? If a new chain skips it is likely your cassette.

I have an older bike and the chain that is on it is the only one that works with the sprockets because of wear. They work fine together but put a new chain on and it is poison. I don't ride that bike much so it is not worth replacing all of the sprockets (ie cassette and chain rings). They are definitely worn(out).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you tell if it is a specific link (same spot on the chain) when it skips, or is it anywhere?

I got a new chain a few years ago that had a quirky link. It looked and felt normal, but it would skip when it wen through the smallest cogs. Warranty replacement, and all was good.

I found it by first determining that it was generally in the same place in the chain - that the event occurred at a regular interval, but not directly associated with the crank or cassette position. Then, I filmed it with my phone in super slowmo to "see" the link moving through the cassette.

Maybe setup a camera and film it while on the trainer to see exactly what is happening and where.
Quote Reply
Re: Chain Slip Help [s5100e] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried this and unfortunately it made the skipping worse. In addition to previous same symptoms, I was able to make it skip when in the middle of the cassette, when previously it was only in the outermost cog or two.

Pretty bummed because I was excited for your suggestion, it was a good one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PBT_2009 wrote:
I tried this and unfortunately it made the skipping worse. In addition to previous same symptoms, I was able to make it skip when in the middle of the cassette, when previously it was only in the outermost cog or two.

Pretty bummed because I was excited for your suggestion, it was a good one.
This makes the sticky link idea more likely. The last suggestion does sound like a good one. Ti free up a sticky link you flex the chain side to side around the link. This also makes sense with the fact that it skipped in the outer most sprockets, again when the chain is most flexed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a new chain and the issue is resolved. Thanks all for your help. Would not have thought a brand new chain could be the culprit but whether counterfeit or just a dud somehow, that was the source.
Quote Reply