Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Choosing optimal tire width for gravel racing
Quote | Reply
Generally I know most people will run typically run as wide as their frame allows for normal gravel riding, but when it comes to racing - how do you choose an optimal width? I feel like when you look at most competitive setups at bigger gravel races, the fast people/pros are running in the 30s rather than the 40s.

My rims are 25mm internal, 32mm external. Is something in the 36-38mm range ideal, or should I be aiming for narrower? Wider?

Re: Choosing optimal tire width for gravel racing [IKnowEverything] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IKnowEverything wrote:
Generally I know most people will run typically run as wide as their frame allows for normal gravel riding, but when it comes to racing - how do you choose an optimal width? I feel like when you look at most competitive setups at bigger gravel races, the fast people/pros are running in the 30s rather than the 40s.

My rims are 25mm internal, 32mm external. Is something in the 36-38mm range ideal, or should I be aiming for narrower? Wider?

where do you get the 'feeling' that the fast guys are running tires in the 30s? Even at Steamboat Gravel, on slicks, Swenson was running a 40mm tire. On anything rough, folks seem to be more in the 42-45mm range, and for the really rough stuff, whatever the largest tire their frames will handle.
Quote Reply
Re: Choosing optimal tire width for gravel racing [Mudge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Read a couple places, but Ted king mentions narrower widths here: https://www.renehersecycles.com/...oosing-gravel-tires/

That being said, the article is a bit dated hence why it seems like maybe wider is better?

Re: Choosing optimal tire width for gravel racing [IKnowEverything] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IKnowEverything wrote:
Read a couple places, but Ted king mentions narrower widths here: https://www.renehersecycles.com/...oosing-gravel-tires/

That being said, the article is a bit dated hence why it seems like maybe wider is better?

Ted referenced narrower tires for a few races that have significant pavement, and thus aero would come into play, and tires in the mid-30s for rougher rides. Subsequent to that article, rim widths have changed such that even a 38mm tire would likely balloon out to 40mm or wider. Ted also said, "When in doubt, go wider."
Quote Reply