Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Comfort on the bike for 112 miles
Quote | Reply
Since I hit the magical age of 65, which is "old age", my goal is to make the 112 Mile bike feel better on the ole bod while doing IM Lake Placid in 2024. Since this will be my 35th Ironman, I've already done the step of "get a professional bike fit". The Cervelo bike fits great, it's all of the pounding of miles on the body that need attention. Below are my mods for 2024:

- Bought new Rolf Carbon Fiber Wheels
- Changed from regular inner tubes to wider tubes
- Changed from 25mm tires to 28mm tires
- Added extra padding on the aero bars and bull horn bars, before wrapping with new tape.
- Shorted the cranks from 172.5 to 165mm
- Noticed that my forearm rather than my elbow sits on the aero bars and decided to buy elbow pads to put on my arms/elbows.
- Used to wear a fanny pack with extra tubes, CO2 cartridges, tire levers but bought a small bag to sit on the top tube behind the aero bars.
- Replaced the CO2 shooter and cartridges with a Cycplus AS2 Pro battery e-Pump, which saves a few grams.
- Bought new Fizik bike shoes in Wide and added shoe inserts/padding
- Changed saddles a couple of years ago and everything is good on the booty.

Does anybody else want to critique my approach or provide extra suggestions/ideas to increase comfort?
Quote Reply
Re: Comfort on the bike for 112 miles [candyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
candyman wrote:
Since I hit the magical age of 65, which is "old age", my goal is to make the 112 Mile bike feel better on the ole bod while doing IM Lake Placid in 2024. Since this will be my 35th Ironman, I've already done the step of "get a professional bike fit". The Cervelo bike fits great, it's all of the pounding of miles on the body that need attention. Below are my mods for 2024:

- Bought new Rolf Carbon Fiber Wheels
- Added extra padding on the aero bars and bull horn bars, before wrapping with new tape.
- Shorted the cranks from 172.5 to 165mm
- Noticed that my forearm rather than my elbow sits on the aero bars and decided to buy elbow pads to put on my arms/elbows.
- Used to wear a fanny pack with extra tubes, CO2 cartridges, tire levers but bought a small bag to sit on the top tube behind the aero bars.
- Replaced the CO2 shooter and cartridges with a Cycplus AS2 Pro battery e-Pump, which saves a few grams.
- Bought new Fizik bike shoes in Wide and added shoe inserts/padding
- Changed saddles a couple of years ago and everything is good on the booty.

Does anybody else want to critique my approach or provide extra suggestions/ideas to increase comfort?

I ordered some profile design ASC43 extensions for some aero testing and I put them on my bike for some indoor workouts which for me accelerate discomfort. They made it much more enjoyable, if that is an appropriate description.

True story : I work for a pro team. I also ordered some of the PD arm pads. I had them delivered to the service course (where the teams assembles/maintains all the bikes). A certain 7x Grand tour winner saw them at the service course, said "those look comfy" and of course, guess where my pads ended up ?
I happened to be aero testing him this week and told him "you know who those pads were for". He apologized and offered to order me a new set. "OK this time, just don't do it again" LOL. So next time you see Froome in a TT, those are MY pads. We both find then super comfortable. We are all getting older HA !
Last edited by: marcag: Apr 19, 24 10:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The new De Soto saddle pads are pretty good. Still need to have the position right though.

I'm curious though, for people with "perfect" bike fits: do you not feel at all sore after a long ride?
Quote Reply
Re: Comfort on the bike for 112 miles [adgatri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the saddle, I put Aquaphor (down under), before pulling up my cycling bibs. There are other products like Body Glide for Cycling, Chamois, etc., but I've been using Aquaphor for many years and can do a 5 hour ride with no sensitivity or soreness.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
67.8 here. I'd recommend ditching elbow pads and go with 3rd party aeropads that are much thicker and so much more comfortable than original. And show up with maximum fitness; best way to feel your best during a race :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How did you determine that 165mm cranks were best for you?
Quote Reply
Re: Comfort on the bike for 112 miles [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is my exact concern also. For me, it's all about getting comfortable on the saddle. I just haven't found the right magic yet, and my purse is too thin to buy multiple several hundred dollar saddles to compare. I've got one or two that I can tolerate for 50 mile rides, but I have yet to do much further and when I say "tolerate", I mean I can make a 50 mile ride but I get anxiety thinking about riding much further than that.

Beyond that, I really don't have any complaints about my Shiv. I've tried shorter crank arms down to 150. My Shiv has 165 and I think for me 160 might be optimal. I'm a bit more of a masher/grinder. I like a little slower cadence and putting power into the cranks more than spinning. I'm hoping to swap in 160s on my Shiv before IMAZ in November but I'm not there yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
candyman wrote:

The comfort gains of going to wider tyres really comes from lowering the pressure. Have you looked at some of the online calculators eg. SRAM, SILCA and experimented with what pressure works best for you? Or are you still running the pressures you were used to?

(Apologies if you have already done this, but it is not mentioned in your post).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 68. The biggest change I made was to switch to a tri rig front end with the long open back arm rests. It is so comfortable and I can stay in the aero position all day!
Quote Reply
Re: Comfort on the bike for 112 miles [mcalista] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, with the 28 mm tires, I also lowered the PSI from 100 PSI on the 25mm down to 70 PSI with the 28mm tires.

Many moons ago at Ironman Bike Check-in, I remember pumping up tubular tires to 150PSI, knowing that they would lose about 10PSI by the morning and then ride them at 140PSI for the race. In retrospect, OMG the vibration and pain for riding the high pressure but it was like

"Suck it up buttercup, you need to take the punishment to be an Ironman".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
candyman wrote:
Yes, with the 28 mm tires, I also lowered the PSI from 100 PSI on the 25mm down to 70 PSI with the 28mm tires.

Many moons ago at Ironman Bike Check-in, I remember pumping up tubular tires to 150PSI, knowing that they would lose about 10PSI by the morning and then ride them at 140PSI for the race. In retrospect, OMG the vibration and pain for riding the high pressure but it was like

"Suck it up buttercup, you need to take the punishment to be an Ironman".

Ha! Reminds me of not that many moons ago ('19) I had the opportunity to race Taupo 70.3 and decided to rent a bike instead of hauling one across the world. I found a local shop that had a tri bike for rent; perfect!

Picked it up the day before the race and was told it was set up with tubulars. No problem I thought. That's what all the legacy greats use to use. Race day I pumped those babies (700x21) up north of 120. Got out of town on the bike and the roads were all chipseal. My eyes and teeth rattled so much I ended up with a migraine around mile 40. Fortunately, I had Advil with me and by the second loop of the run I was "ok".

Warning to those racing WC @ Taupo this year: run fat tires at low pressure for maximum comfort!
Quote Reply