Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Daniela Ryf To Retire At End Of The Year
Quote | Reply
Daniela Ryf has announced that 2024 will be her final year as a professional athlete, can she win any big races before signing off?

Is she the GOAT?
Quote Reply
Re: Daniela Ryf To Retire At End Of The Year [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
Daniela Ryf has announced that 2024 will be her final year as a professional athlete, can she win any big races before signing off?

Is she the GOAT?
https://www.instagram.com/p/C3-JD4rN175/
I can see her racing Roth and winning again. Fits with her T100 race commitments. To race IMWC Nice she'd have to race an IM in the next few months to validate which just seems like unnecessary work and to the detriment of her T100 racing.
And yes, she is the GOAT and will remain so being surplanted only if Knibb has extraordinary performance (at 140 miles as well as 70.3/100k) sustained over years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"hear me now, quote me later"

I think Daniela will still race WC in Nice.

I believe, that if she's not AQ nor validated, she'll get a discretionary slot from IM (same for Knibb). It'd be a great marketing story with multiple associations (Frodeno's farewell last year and Ryf's farewell this year; queen hand-over from Daniela to Knibb etc.).
Quote Reply
Re: Daniela Ryf To Retire At End Of The Year [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:
I can see her racing Roth and winning again. Fits with her T100 race commitments. To race IMWC Nice she'd have to race an IM in the next few months to validate which just seems like unnecessary work and to the detriment of her T100 racing.

As per her post you linked, Daniela won't race Roth but WC Nice:

"My final race plan:
9.3. T100 Miami
21.4. Ironman South Africa
8.6. T100 California
28./29.7. T100 London
22.9. Ironman World Championship Nice
19.10. T100 Las Vegas
17.11. T100 Dubai
30.11. T100 Final"
Quote Reply
Re: Daniela Ryf To Retire At End Of The Year [Michal_CH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
'AB should pay more attention in class.'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
Is she the GOAT?

I made this chart for a thread a few years back. I haven’t followed triathlon at all the last couple years (just happened to randomly decide to scroll through the forum today). So I’m not sure if there is anything to add to her column. It’s too bad 2020 was a lost year as that may have pulled her PNF. It’s tough to compare either times or wins across eras. PNF (number of Kona wins), Chrissie (unbeaten) and Daniela (blowing away her competition every year) each stood out in one aspect.

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Daniela Ryf To Retire At End Of The Year [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:
Jackets wrote:
Is she the GOAT?

I made this chart for a thread a few years back. I haven’t followed triathlon at all the last couple years (just happened to randomly decide to scroll through the forum today). So I’m not sure if there is anything to add to her column. It’s too bad 2020 was a lost year as that may have pulled her PNF. It’s tough to compare either times or wins across eras. PNF (number of Kona wins), Chrissie (unbeaten) and Daniela (blowing away her competition every year) each stood out in one aspect.

Obviously completely subjective, it might actually hang on what she does this year?
Quote Reply
Re: Daniela Ryf To Retire At End Of The Year [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great? Yes.
GOAT ?
No. No quite.
PNF, Chrissie, and (as folk seem to forget) Natascha Badmann.
Quote Reply
Re: Daniela Ryf To Retire At End Of The Year [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:
Great? Yes.
GOAT ?
No. No quite.

Lots of what ifs but Daniela lost three years of real opportunity due to C19 and Kona cancellations. Where Daniela goes a bit above everyone on your list was she was able to win from half to full
Quote Reply
Re: Daniela Ryf To Retire At End Of The Year [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:
Great? Yes.
GOAT ?
No. No quite.

None of these ladies had Daniela's versatility - and I love Natascha but there's no way she could have competed with that swim with Chrissie let alone Daniela and she never ran faster than 3:06. She was amazing but possibly a little lucky with the level of women's triathlon at the time? That sounds much more disrespectful than I meant it.

Chrissie probably could be considered the IM goat in my books, and PNF was very good in Hawaii for sure, but Erin Baker was almost her equal away from Hawaii.

But Daniela is so versatile - Olympics x2, World Cup win, all the 70.3 and IM titles. Pretty amazing record. For me, who was blown away with PNF going 11th OA in 1988 when it happened, prime Daniela is the best we've seen so far.

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply