Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Di2 Compatibility Questions....
Quote | Reply
Some of my 11 speed parts are due for replacing, and figured I may as well upgrade to 12 if its easy....

So, my current setup is:
- Dura Ace hydraulic di2 1 button brake levers
- SWR671 di2 2 button bar end shifters
- Ultegra 11 di2 derailleurs
- Shimano 11 cranks
- 11 speed cassette
- 11 speed chain
- BT-DN110-1 battery
- 5 port junction near head tube (4 wires in from brakes/shifters, 1 wire down to 4 port junction at BB)
- 4 port junction at BB to accept 1 from 5 port, and 1 wire out to battery, 1 wire out to each derailleur)

If I just throw 12 speed derailleurs, cranks, chain and cassette on there, will everything work? Will the existing wires plug into the new derailleurs and work with my current battery? Any issue with the older SWR671 shifters working with 12 speed?

Thanks!!
Last edited by: SBRcanuck: Nov 14, 23 12:52
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 Compatibility Questions.... [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately the new 12-speed Di2 not compatible with either first or second Gen 11-speed Di2
Last edited by: adroitindetroit: Nov 14, 23 16:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You won't need a new chainset/cranks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
some will work.

The brake levers will work and your junction box. Not sure about SWR671 shifters. The new 12 speed takes different cables. So you wire the cockpit mostly the same, then run a wire from the junction to a SD50 to SD300 (new wire style) converter then use the new wire to the new battery then 2 new cables to the FR and RD. The RD has the charging port for the battery.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 Compatibility Questions.... [iliketri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iliketri wrote:
some will work.

The brake levers will work and your junction box. Not sure about SWR671 shifters. The new 12 speed takes different cables. So you wire the cockpit mostly the same, then run a wire from the junction to a SD50 to SD300 (new wire style) converter then use the new wire to the new battery then 2 new cables to the FR and RD. The RD has the charging port for the battery.

Thanks!

Does the attached amazing visio diagram look correct? :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
iliketri wrote:
some will work.

Thanks!

That is close except I don’t think you can use a Junction A as this function is now controlled by the RD. You’ll need multiple Junction B’s or e-tube Y-splitter wires to join the shifters together. Also, the 2 button R671 shifters will not work with the 12 speed di2 configuration. U will need the one button aero extension shifters R9150 or the satellite shifters R9160.

See the 12 speed e-tube compatibility chart in the Dual Control Lever with SD-50 box here: https://bike.shimano.com/...CC%205.2.0-00-EN.pdf[/url]
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 Compatibility Questions.... [adroitindetroit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
adroitindetroit wrote:
Unfortunately the new 12-speed Di2 not compatible with either first or second Gen 11-speed Di2

This is true for road components, but Shimano has not released new 12s TT shifters, instead releasing new firmware for 11s TT shifters to make them compatible with 12s shifters.

Although the cable size is different, so a converter unit is required, and the OP's R671 shifters are not supported.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 Compatibility Questions.... [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SummitAK wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:
iliketri wrote:
some will work.

Thanks!

That is close except I don’t think you can use a Junction A as this function is now controlled by the RD. You’ll need multiple Junction B’s or e-tube Y-splitter wires to join the shifters together. Also, the 2 button R671 shifters will not work with the 12 speed di2 configuration. U will need the one button aero extension shifters R9150 or the satellite shifters R9160.

See the 12 speed e-tube compatibility chart in the Dual Control Lever with SD-50 box here: https://bike.shimano.com/...CC%205.2.0-00-EN.pdf[/url]

Yep! Correct. You cannot use SM-EW90-B or any other 11-speed Junction A.

You can use either of these methods setups:

mcalista wrote:
adroitindetroit wrote:

This is true for road components, but Shimano has not released new 12s TT shifters, instead releasing new firmware for 11s TT shifters to make them compatible with 12s shifters.

Although the cable size is different, so a converter unit is required, and the OP's R671 shifters are not supported.

Yeah... The TT shifters that'll work are:

• ST-R9160 Rim brake lever and button
  • ST-R9180 Hydraulic Disc brake lever and button
  • ST-R8060 Rim brake lever and button
  • SW-R9160 bar-end switches

And SW-R9150 (satellite shifter)

BetterShifting.com - Di2 help and guides| BetterShifting Instagram | Terry's Instagram
Last edited by: Di2Terry: Nov 15, 23 5:36
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 Compatibility Questions.... [Di2Terry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Follow up question!

So I think I will just go with all new 12 speed components including the single button extension shifters.

Question - I believe my current hydraulic 1 button brake levers are likely the '9160' 11 speed version (as opposed to the newer 9180). Will these work? If yes, is a firmware update required, and if yes, do I need to buy a module to perform that? Or is it done wireless via app connected to the new rear derailleur??

Thanks!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
9160 is a rim brake TT shifter, so if they're hydraulic, they are definitely 9180 (both from the r9100 series, so roughly the same 'age' :)).

If they're not on the latest firmware yet, they need to be updated before connecting them to a 12-speed bike.

You can update them using an 11-speed bikes (and the internal battery charger), or a bike shop can update them for you if you like (just bring the shifters to the bike shop).

After they have been updated, you can connect them to a 12-speed bike and perform all future updates using the wireless.

If you connect them to the 12-speed bike before updating the shifters then the bike will 'shut down' until the out-of-date shifters have been removed. So.. you cannot connect them to a 12-speed bike and update them that way.

They need to be on firmware version 3.3.0 (or newer).

(Note that there are no "12-speed single button shifters" or "12-speed TT shifters". All 12-speed TT bikes use 11-speed TT shifters. Shimano hasn't made 12-speed versions of these shifters yet.)

There's a lot more info on https://bettershifting.com/...rial-triathlon-bike/, but ask me anything here :)

BetterShifting.com - Di2 help and guides| BetterShifting Instagram | Terry's Instagram
Last edited by: Di2Terry: Nov 22, 23 5:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Some of my 11 speed parts are due for replacing, and figured I may as well upgrade to 12 if its easy....

So, my current setup is:
- Dura Ace hydraulic di2 1 button brake levers
- SWR671 di2 2 button bar end shifters
- Ultegra 11 di2 derailleurs
- Shimano 11 cranks
- 11 speed cassette
- 11 speed chain
- BT-DN110-1 battery
- 5 port junction near head tube (4 wires in from brakes/shifters, 1 wire down to 4 port junction at BB)
- 4 port junction at BB to accept 1 from 5 port, and 1 wire out to battery, 1 wire out to each derailleur)

If I just throw 12 speed derailleurs, cranks, chain and cassette on there, will everything work? Will the existing wires plug into the new derailleurs and work with my current battery? Any issue with the older SWR671 shifters working with 12 speed?

Thanks!!

what are you doing with the old wiring / derailleurs / charger? I have some components to build up 11s Di2, but I don't have the wiring, junction A, or the derailleurs yet. I started on the project, then switched partway to an 11s Campy mechanical group. But I still want Di2, I think.

edit, I'm probably only 50% sure that I want to go that route at the moment, because I didn't ride at all last year. just getting back into it. And we just went through a very expensive renovation plus I need a new amplifier that's using up my christmas / birthday budget.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Nov 22, 23 6:32
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 Compatibility Questions.... [Di2Terry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!! Yup, hydraulic. Will try to update them. :)
Quote Reply