Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [ultramike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ultramike wrote:
Pantelones wrote:
Although I am out of the market for a tri watch I am seriously disappointed with the color screen. If it is anything like the color screen in my 510 it will be hard to read under a lot of conditions without the backlight on. The backlight for the 510 absolutely smashes through the battery. Yet again I see garmin adding features that are interesting on paper but far miss the mark for what people will really use when training. A large, high contrast, easy to read screen should always be primary importance.

x2

My Edge 510 only lasts 6-7 hours on the brightest display setting. On a sunny day it can be really hard to read, especially if I have small data fields on the screen or I am wearing sunglasses. I was disappointed to see a color screen on the 920xt.

Hopefully DCRainmaker does a thorough review of the screen in bright conditions.

I suspect the 920 display will be very similar if not identical to the 620 which is similar to the 510. The color display on the 620 is not that great and adds no value to me at least.

Everyone is different, but I never had issues seeing the screen on my 620 in bright conditions. However the 510, can be hard to see sometimes so it all depends on the angle and where the light is coming from.

So my guess, the 920 will have similar display issues on the bike but probably not on the run.

SmartBikeTrainers.com || YouTube || My Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello Power13 and All,

We all know that a premature release is not usually a good thing ...... from dropping bombs to announcing products.

However ....

http://people.ucalgary.ca/...cations/ORGSCI95.pdf

"Eating Your Own Lunch:Protection Through Preemption

Recent discussions of management practices among successful high technology companies
suggest that one key strategy for success is to “eat your own lunch before someone else does."

The implication is that in intensely competitive, or hypercompetitive, markets, firms with a leading position should aggressively cannibalize their own current advantages with next-generation advantages before competitors step in to steal the market. Given the pace of technological and other types of change, such strategy often requires creating next-generation advantages while the current advantages are still profitable - that is, trading current profits for future market leadership."

========

Road Runner Sports states availability of 920 about Jan 2015 .... maybe a bit sooner.

Cheers,

Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello Neal, when I first saw the publication I was wondering whether reference had been given to Intel and I saw that very near the front, I may just have to read the who article.

The reason I ask is because another way of putting this discussion is what Intel is doing. Intel considers their largest competitor themselves and with this mindset move forward constantly trying to better themselves. As a leader they've found that if they only compare themselves to their "direct" competitors, it isn't enough thus they innovate on what they've done constantly trying to outdo themselves.

I view Garmin a bit differently although I now wonder how many generations they are working on. Garmin seems to be on more of a set production schedule (i.e., release a 310/90/920 every 3 years). I suppose the question would be whether they hold back on each generation leaving features for future generations or whether they incorporate all that they can in each generation. An example would be a SIM card so that you don't need a cell phone to do all the live stuff (including messaging). I'm sure they could do that now and I'd really like it if they did because I don't own a cell phone but I suspect that'll be a future thing.

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [BCDon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In this thread I've heard the 620 called ugly but quite a few people.

That blows my mind, out of the numerous Garmin's I've owned, I've never gotten a compliment on a single one until the 620 for which I get compliments incessantly. I also have that limited edition boston marathon wrist strap which is in blue and yellow and blends very well with the blue watch face. So it looks super stylish.

I guess some people don't like the 620/220 look though. I personally felt that it was Garmin's best ever attempt at a normal looking watch.

I think you all often forget that it does a wee bit more than just tell time and thus style is on the back burner.

The Home of Advanced Running
Advanced Running Instagram Page
My narcisstic training log
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [justarunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree - I have had most Garmin watches and the 620 is the first that looks "normal". I actually like the look of the 920 in blue and black. Not sure as an everyday watch - but certainly an improvement from the 910. I also like the Fenix watches - a little chunky - but at least they look "normal".
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [the5krunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the5krunner wrote:
Hey guys I'm the first to admit the general awesomeness of DC's site. I put a link on his site and some of the leaked 920 info. My bad. hands up guilty. etc. DCR was nice, I'm sure he's an all-round super-nice person and I'v certainly benefitted form some of his in-depth reviews as much as you.

I make pennies from our site. We love doing it. Maybe I do have an ego (rapidly deflating I hasten to add :-) ) It actually COSTS US money to do the proper reviews of real products that I get my hands on. We have to pay for the return postage (although not with Polar).

I have re-worded the 920XT stuff to make it abundantly clear that the info comes from a few collated sources and that I have not got my hands on a 920. I said words to that effect in the original post in any case - I'm sure someone will check that! And I hope it's true (pretty sure)

I have no NDA with any manufacturer

If I can dig out and collate leaked info...that's OK isn't it? I've certainly found the info personally interesting and I can't be alone in that interest, surely?

I'm not an evil person honest, I can name at least 3 people that think I'm quite nice (well maybe it's down to 2 now). Be nice. Live happy :-)

@IMBASEL - Garmin was one of the sources of the leaked info eg the PRICING!!....maybe they meant to do it? Maybe a Garmin employee or two made a mistake? What is written on a few forums I suspect will not affect Garmin's release plans one iota. It could all be a big hoax don't forget...not unknown in the digital world. One of the best sources of info on Garmin new products is the Garmin | Into Sports Blog...it often comes out first there!

The problem is you've taken other people's work and put it on your site without credit or attribution.

I'm just this guy ya know?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [lmbasell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lmbasell wrote:
I agree - I have had most Garmin watches and the 620 is the first that looks "normal". I actually like the look of the 920 in blue and black. Not sure as an everyday watch - but certainly an improvement from the 910. I also like the Fenix watches - a little chunky - but at least they look "normal".

+1

My views on this all are..
Getting a bit scared about the screen contrast. Using the 620 as a day watch can be a bit hard to read sometimes
The thing I really love about my 620 over the 910XT is that the field sizes are different (to accomodate the round face).. which means I get h:mm:ss for activity time even when using the 4 fields. I hope they tweak the rectangular face to allow for that.
Really hope the fitness tracker stuff and 'use as a daily watch' come to pass.. I travel a lot and only having to pack 1 watch (that is on my wrist) is perfect
Bluetooth. I use my 620 always with Live tracking for safety
Looks a lot thinner which is fantastic.

Overall it seems to me to be an interative update (bringing in the ideas from the 620 etc) without hitting me with something really cool.
Will definitely get it.. but.. will it mean I sell my forerunner 620?!!
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [BCDon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCDon wrote:
Intel considers their largest competitor themselves and with this mindset move forward constantly trying to better themselves. As a leader they've found that if they only compare themselves to their "direct" competitors, it isn't enough thus they innovate on what they've done constantly trying to outdo themselves.

I view Garmin a bit differently although I now wonder how many generations they are working on. Garmin seems to be on more of a set production schedule (i.e., release a 310/90/920 every 3 years).

I'm not sure what Intel you are referring to, but the chipmaker is definitely using a set production schedule.

Sandy Bridge - 2011
Ivy Bridge - 2012
Haswell 2013

Want to guess when Broadwell is slated to release?

There's no way you're going to see a SIM card in a triathlon watch anytime soon, go look at how much space even a 3g chipset takes up, and you need a halfway decent antenna somewhere. You can't have a good screen, battery life, and a ton of connectivity right now. They're not holding back features because they feel like it, power and space are very real constraints on a watch.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [chris948] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chris948 wrote:
There's no way you're going to see a SIM card in a triathlon watch anytime soon, go look at how much space even a 3g chipset takes up, and you need a halfway decent antenna somewhere. You can't have a good screen, battery life, and a ton of connectivity right now. They're not holding back features because they feel like it, power and space are very real constraints on a watch.

^^^ this

I'm just this guy ya know?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chris948 wrote:

Umm, already there

First device: http://store.bia-sport.com/
Secondary device: https://www.timex.com/one

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While true...

Doesn't the bia require a separate GPS pod?

and the Timex is a bit bulky w/ a poor battery for size ratio (by today's GPS watch standards... maybe not ~3 years ago's).

Still I'd agree that adding a 3g/4g connection to something like the 910 shouldn't be considered impossible if designed to use all of it's resources effectively (how much and how often it used the cell connection, for example).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whoa!

Do you need a separate 3g contract for that Timex One?!

I'm surprised this hasn't gotten more attention....

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [ZackCapets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Despite the AT&T partnership the unit will work overseas just fine, via service provider roaming partnerships. Such roaming costs the consumer no additional money, as it’s all handled behind the scenes by AT&T. For the first year the connected services will be free – though after that there will be some form of monthly charge via the telecom company. The exact pricing isn’t determined quite yet, but will fall in line with adding a second device to an AT&T plan.

Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pinteresting...I really am surprised that didn't get more attention...

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dcrainmaker wrote:

Umm, already there

Secondary device:https://www.timex.com/one[/quote[/url]

First off, fair enough I guess technically I was responding to the idea of swapping your SIM card into a watch, but you can have wireless connectivity without it that saves space.

However the Bia isn't even close to a watch with those capabilities as you need the go stick thing. That's every bit as useful as the iwatch needing its phone. You know more than I do, but all I see the watch using is ANT.

The Timex looks awesome, but the 910xt is marketed as having 20 hours of battery life. The Timex which obviously I've never seen real world usage out of is claiming 8. Do you really think that Garmin is going to release their high end triathlon watch that can't last through the average persons bike + run in long course? Under the wrong conditions (crappy signal) I am willing to bet a claimed 8 degrades to the point of dying before some people finish a 70.2 I guess time will tell, but I doubt Garmin is order of magnitudes smarter than Timex (and everybody else struggling with battery life) when it comes to building a tri watch.

Again, you know more than I do, and I guess here is a great place to come back and quote me as being wrong in a few weeks, but I just don't see that capability coming from this garmin refresh.
Last edited by: chris948: Sep 24, 14 11:51
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [nord0296] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nord0296 wrote:
While true...

Doesn't the bia require a separate GPS pod?

and the Timex is a bit bulky w/ a poor battery for size ratio (by today's GPS watch standards... maybe not ~3 years ago's).

Still I'd agree that adding a 3g/4g connection to something like the 910 shouldn't be considered impossible if designed to use all of it's resources effectively (how much and how often it used the cell connection, for example).

Why does it have to be 3g/4g? The about of data needed for a watch is miniscule. The Bia actually takes advantage of the almost entirely unused 2g network (absolutely brilliant if you ask me) in order to save costs. The 2g network is so cheap to use that you'll never need a separate contract like the Timex watch.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [krez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
krez wrote:
Why does it have to be 3g/4g? The about of data needed for a watch is miniscule.

Because the target demographic for an internet-connected full color touchscreen watch largely consists of idiots who enjoy lighting money on fire.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [KoopaTroopa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KoopaTroopa wrote:
krez wrote:

Why does it have to be 3g/4g? The about of data needed for a watch is miniscule.

Because the target demographic for an internet-connected full color touchscreen watch largely consists of idiots who enjoy lighting money on fire.

No, again, these companies aren't out to get you. The tin foil hats around here are kind of funny.

1. Older technologies aren't necessarily as efficient. The way that data is sent over a 2g network isn't the same as newer tech, just slower.
2. Carriers are re-farming those frequencies for newer tech. AT&T 2g won't work by the end of 2016.

http://www.cnet.com/...-2g-network-in-2017/
Last edited by: chris948: Sep 24, 14 12:54
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [krez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It doesn't, you're right there.

...still the older networks are slowly getting shutdown.

Plus I always blamed the poor performance of the GTU-10 tracker on the 2G radio (maybe it was really poor design, either in the RF performance or usage of the 2G radio).
Last edited by: nord0296: Sep 24, 14 18:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GTU10 offers the live tracking functionality. It is a separate unit altogether, so it needs charging and an yearly subscription. It being totally separate from the watch can be seen as an advantage or disadvantage, depending upon the type of training and racing you do. It has worked well for me for the past two years+ as a convenient little pod I can have on my racing belt pretty much no matter how long the event is, no matter what kind of cycling/running unit I decide to use that day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dcrainmaker wrote:
chris948 wrote:

Umm, already there

Secondary device: https://www.timex.com/one

I have lapsed majorly in my ability to keep on top of the triathlon tech space as much as I used to but the Timex One is uncannily similar to what I was picturing last night during a run and thinking "why does this not exist".

Not that the Timex One is the perfect manifestation of the idea but it is such a huge step in the right direction. I can't state this enough, I do not want to run with my giant ass phone. I'm thrilled people finally realize that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chris948 wrote:

No, again, these companies aren't out to get you. The tin foil hats around here are kind of funny.

1. Older technologies aren't necessarily as efficient. The way that data is sent over a 2g network isn't the same as newer tech, just slower.
2. Carriers are re-farming those frequencies for newer tech. AT&T 2g won't work by the end of 2016.

http://www.cnet.com/...-2g-network-in-2017/

I'll concede your point re: the technical aspects of data transmission. My snarky comment was coming from the point of view that the data connectivity needed for a watch is precisely zero. If someone disagrees and really does feel the need to be connected at all times I suppose that feature would be a genuine value add.

But that giant, battery murdering, full color touchscreen? On a watch? That idea was conceived in the marketing department specifically to part fools with their money. I mean c'mon... that thing says "Ironman" right on it and there are probably fewer than 10 people on Earth who could complete an Ironman inside the stated battery life (and likely zero who could complete an Ironman inside it's actual battery life with all the gee-whiz features active).
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [tgarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really don't see why people want 2G/3G/4G connections in fitness devices, it's just an unnecessarily complication IMO.

I think Garmin have got it right with the Wifi chips in the 620 and Edge 1000. Automatic upload via Wifi was a huge step forward in that is doesn't require any user interaction at all to upload your activites (yes, assuming it all works as it should) and for those cases where you're not near your Wifi, you'll most likely have a cell phone you can use to upload via bluetooth. Having an independent cell connection on your watch and the technical issues and constraints that come along with that, not to mention paying for another cell contract, it just seems completely pointless.

The only real benefit I can see is for Live Tracking in cases where you wouldn't want a cell phone with you, but I dread to think how quickly that would eat through the battery.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [aw3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What I would really like to see is all these companies stop trying to one-up each other by adding new features and just start making things smaller, lighter and cheaper. I have a 910xt and a 500 and am perfectly satisfied with both devices. My fear is that 2, 3, 5, whatever years down the road when my current stuff craps out there will no longer be comparable replacements.

The unfortunate fact in this market is that "The new one is just like the 910xt, only 30% smaller" doesn't move nearly as many units as "ZOMG! The new one has a color screen and can live update my Strava!" Nevermind that it's still the size of a toaster, costs $500 and you're shit out of luck if you forget to put it on the charger the night before.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [aw3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aw3 wrote:
I really don't see why people want 2G/3G/4G connections in fitness devices, it's just an unnecessarily complication IMO.

The only real benefit I can see is for Live Tracking in cases where you wouldn't want a cell phone with you, but I dread to think how quickly that would eat through the battery.

I was a beta tester for several generations of the Bia device that has such connectivity - one of the selling points was that this connectivity offered 'panic button' functionality. As I recall, to activate it all you had to do was something like press and hold a hardware button for 3 seconds and a customizable text message with your current location would be sent to a pre-specified list of contacts. I talked with several women (my wife included) about this feature and without exception they thought this was a great idea.
Quote Reply

Prev Next