Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Garmin watch choise (enduro 2, fenix 7, forerunner 965, epix2,...)
Quote | Reply
Hello,

As I am a triathlete and love some ultra (10-24hours) sporting from time to time. I’m looking for a new watch. For me it is easy to stay within the garmin line because I’m using garmin for 10 years no wand I’m just very happy with the products.
But my recent fenix 5x is getting old and I’m looking for a new smartwatch. I doubt between the next ones for a few months now: Fenix 7x Pro, Endure 2, Epix Pro gen2, Forerunner 965,…

But maybe I should just wait fort he Fenix 8 by end of the year? Because I would love to have the ECG app on it…
Money is not a big issue but I’m not gonna buy a Fenix 7 now and the buy a Fenix 8 in half a year from now. And a garmin Marq is way too much 😊

First option.
Fēnix 7X Pro – Sapphire Solar Edition
Link -> https://www.garmin.com/...6230/pn/010-02778-11
Pro’s and Con’s -> At the moment I wear a Garmin Fenix 5x for a few years. Love this watch. So it would be easy to pick its successor. Only disadvantage I find is that the Fenix 7x pro is not that much of an upgrade after all these years. That is maybe the reason why I didn’t bought a new Fenix 7X pro yet and don’t know what to buy.
My score 8/10

Second option.
Forerunner 965
Link -> https://www.garmin.com/nl-BE/p/886725
Pro’s and Con’s -> This is the lighter and more aero model. It has everything we need. But then, I also wear my watch when I don’t do sport. And this one looks a bit simpel, not very robust, stylish, … cool.
So I don’t know. Price is good though.
My score 7/10

Third option.
Enduro 2
Link -> https://www.garmin.com/nl-BE/p/854515
Pro’s and Con’s -> Great battery life. I think very good watch for what my goals are. Only a bit of a shame there is only one color. I don’t like the green/lime/yellow. Also it is mor grey like casing. I just like black. Once you go black, you won’t go… The wristband not my thing but we can change that. Not cheap.
My score 7.5/10

Fourth option.
Epix Pro (Gen 2)
Link -> https://www.garmin.com/...4088/pn/010-02804-01
Pro’s and Con’s -> Cool watch. Looks nice. Some as the fenix 7x pro maybe. Due to amoled maybe less battery life.
My score 8/10

What can u guys add or advice me?
Wait for the Fenix 8, or go for one of the above? But what would u suggest?
Last edited by: Roflpain: Feb 9, 24 10:31
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin watch choise (enduro 2, fenix 7, forerunner 965, epix2,...) [Roflpain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Focusing on the top two: If fashion is a priority, then the fenix 7 pro would be the one. If the best screen and visibility is important, then the 965 is the best.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin watch choise (enduro 2, fenix 7, forerunner 965, epix2,...) [Roflpain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually purchased the Fenix 7X Pro and then ended up getting an Epix Pro instead. I had a 6X Pro before.

(1) The bezel for solar charging and the different optical properties of the screen vs. 6X Pro drove me crazy. I like MIP screens and sapphire but the solar sapphire 7X was awful to me.
(2) Like you said, most of the upgrades to 7X Pro aren't immediately obvious (even the much improved backlight is in the background), so I wasn't left satisfied and kept thinking about the Epix with an AMOLED screen.
(3) The battery on the Epix Pro (51mm anyway) is actually higher capacity than the 7X Pro (same as Enduro 2) and it's the screen that creates issues with the battery life. Within more use and higher passive, non-screen drain, I think the Epix will end up with more effective battery life. It also charges faster.
(4) My experience is that my skin needs a breather more frequently than I need to charge the Epix Pro even with AOD, active use, and all-day PulseOx on.

Only reason I wouldn't get an Epix Pro is if you can't/don't want to use the 51mm one. Others have much diminished battery capacities.
Last edited by: aravilare: Feb 9, 24 11:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the 51 mm Epix. Battery life isn't an issue at all, but I agree that it does seem to bother my skin more than my older Fenix. If I was planning on a 24 hour race then I might go with the 965 due to the weight.

ther than the weight and skin issues, the Epix is great. One of the main reasons I got it is the ECG. Before getting the watch I needed to carry around a separate ECG.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a FR920. Then a Fenix 5. Then a Fenix 6.
And now an Epix 2 Pro Sapphire.
The data collected and provided is unparalleled.
The battery and display are so much better than the Fenix.
The LED flashlight is a nice bonus.

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After 25 years of wearing my TAG I swapped to a FR955. The reason I went this way and not a Fenix was because the FR955 just fits under my shirt cuff. That thickness is 100% the dealbreaker that makes it viable for me to wear the device as an everyday watch.

That said, now I'm in 'late middle age' I will admit that I can't read the small text used on the swim drill distance page. So the better screen of the newer models would be a necessity for next purchase.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the reply's. I take them into consideration. Not sure what I'm gonna buy yet. I hope there is some news from future watches fast ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Roflpain wrote:
Thanks for all the replies I take them into consideration. Not sure what I'm gonna buy yet. I hope there is some news from future watches fast ;-)

There is always a release just ahead.... If you wait a few months then whilst that will be out, there will already be the news of the next great thing. And you also end up with the rather frustrating first 3 months of glitches that seem to be normal nowadays.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin watch choise (enduro 2, fenix 7, forerunner 965, epix2,...) [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
True. Maybe I go for the forerunner 965 because it is the most aero, best buy, best to wear when sleeping.
Then I don't have to wait for a new release until I find something really worth it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And if you are truly concerned at the aero impacts between smart watches then 1) I want your legs, 2) I want your life (even if I had the engine to create the speed to make this a factor, this wouldn't appear in the top 500 things causing me to worry).

I now have added worrying about not worrying about the airflow over my watch to my list of things to keep me awake at 3am.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin watch choise (enduro 2, fenix 7, forerunner 965, epix2,...) [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I find the Garmin Fenix 5x, which I now have a nice watch but to big to race. But on the other side nice to wear casual. The 965 is 100% sure more aero, but it is worthless. Maybe 0.01 watt or so. :-) Just a plus which is not really a plus :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Epix Pro and the 965... wore the Epix Pro as an everyday watch and really liked they style of it but it's noticeably bigger and heavier. I didn't like to wear it swimming and had a hard time getting my wetsuit sleeve over it. The 965 was purchased for training and racing only. I prefer the screen and graphics of the 965 and I just find myself always wearing the 965 now and only really take it off to charge.

Battery life isn't an issue, I charge it once about every 10 days and that's doing 2 workouts a day for the most part and have it in gesture mode so the screen is normally off. I really like both but the 965 is the winner for me! I do wear the Epix when I dress up though but that's not very often!

I had the Fenix 7 as well but after seeing the Amoled screen on the Epix and 965 I quickly returned it.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin watch choise (enduro 2, fenix 7, forerunner 965, epix2,...) [sorelegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, I think I'm gonna do the same.
Get the 965 for training and sleeping. THen later an Epix or something for "dressing up".

Thanks everybody. 965 it will be for now ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Roflpain wrote:
Yep, I think I'm gonna do the same.
Get the 965 for training and sleeping. THen later an Epix or something for "dressing up".

Thanks everybody. 965 it will be for now ;-)
Here's my spin on your solution: I wear a Garmin vívosmart 5 on my right wrist 24/7 for sleep and activity tracking. I wear my 965 on my left wrist during training and racing activities. Otherwise, I wear an Apple Watch during the day. It is a bit overkill, but I like little bits of everything they all have to offer. I get all the activity and exercise metrics. And the Apple Watch is way better as an integrated smart wrist device.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin watch choise (enduro 2, fenix 7, forerunner 965, epix2,...) [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At this moment I wear a Garmin Fenix 5x on my left wrist and a whoop in the right :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Want to the shop to buy a Forerunner 965, walked out with a Epix Pro 51mm. Very happy with my choise 😅.

Main reason was that the Epix already has te ecg hr monitor thing. That was the reason I was waiting for the Fenix 8. So this is my Fenix 8. And I love it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:
After 25 years of wearing my TAG I swapped to a FR955. The reason I went this way and not a Fenix was because the FR955 just fits under my shirt cuff. That thickness is 100% the dealbreaker that makes it viable for me to wear the device as an everyday watch.

That said, now I'm in 'late middle age' I will admit that I can't read the small text used on the swim drill distance page. So the better screen of the newer models would be a necessity for next purchase.

That's funny, I was facing the same issue with the shirt cuff but my tailor just made my left cuffs a bit bigger on my new dress shirts ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Roflpain wrote:
Want to the shop to buy a Forerunner 965, walked out with a Epix Pro 51mm. Very happy with my choise 😅.

Main reason was that the Epix already has te ecg hr monitor thing. That was the reason I was waiting for the Fenix 8. So this is my Fenix 8. And I love it.

I'd like to buy an Epix Pro because I'd like to have that ecg functionality, but as I'm in Germany this would not work on my Epix Pro.
Nevertheless I'd like to hear your opinion about it and how often you use it.
For me it would be very important as my heart needs special observation (long-time ecg, cardiologist said I need a pacemaker soon ...)

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin watch choise (enduro 2, fenix 7, forerunner 965, epix2,...) [Bavarian_Frank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey,

I use the ECG thing once every two weaks maybe? But it says it is always good so... no worries with me. I live in Belgium.
With some help of youtube, VPN and other stuff I got it unlocked for me. So If you buy the Epic Pro, just do some youtube search to unlock the ECG ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, that's an useful info!
You're in Europe and have the ecg working - good to know.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain.
Last edited by: Bavarian_Frank: Mar 6, 24 6:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Roflpain wrote:
Hey,

I use the ECG thing once every two weaks maybe? But it says it is always good so... no worries with me. I live in Belgium.
With some help of youtube, VPN and other stuff I got it unlocked for me. So If you buy the Epic Pro, just do some youtube search to unlock the ECG ;-)

I only bought the shitty Apple Watch on top of existing Fenix 6 to have the extra ECG function... How is it possible that your ECG on Garmin works in EU? I'm really keen to know, like REALLY.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin watch choise (enduro 2, fenix 7, forerunner 965, epix2,...) [Michal_CH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like I said. Search in youtube and you will find it.
Quote Reply