Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How to stop foot burn
Quote | Reply
Hi guys,

Looking for advice on running longer distances. I want to run a marathon, but if I run further than around 10K, the balls of my feet hurt like hell. Kind of a hot burning pain.

I've tried different shoes (Brooks best, Asics worst) and socks, but still after a while the pain comes. I've never done more than a half marathon, because my feet are so painful towards the end.

I think it's probably due to repetitively landing on the forefoot. I changed from heel strike years ago to prevent knee pain and I also have super high arches so naturally a lot of weight goes on the ball of foot when walking. I also got this pain in ski boots for years, until I found 1 brand/model that suited.

Any ideas? Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: How to stop foot burn [Island] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you tried a larger shoe size as well as just different brands? I ran/biked for years in slightly too small shoes.

If you haven't already, try pulling out the insole and standing on it in socks - is your whole foot comfortably inside it?
Quote Reply
Re: How to stop foot burn [StanMcKenzie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmm. When I remove the footbed and stand on it, there is loads of length, the width at the metatarsal heads though is exactly the same as the width of my foot at that point. Wonder if a wider shoe would help or cause more movement and more pain.

So difficult to test shoes, because by the time I find to that they are no better, they are in un-returnable condition.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rather try tight fit shoes or thicker socks to secure your foot moving slightly back and forth. I used to land on toes and oh boy, my feet were on fire by my feet getting rubbed back and forth slightly. It went away after I corrected my landing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you ever tried Sorbothane (or similar) insoles in your shoes? Sometimes that can help absorb some impact. I've used the flexible ones (I don't recommend the ones with any plastic parts) with some success for this sort of issue.
Quote Reply
Re: How to stop foot burn [samtridad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, might be worth a shot!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I experience foot burning when my shoes are tied too tight or my socks are too thick and cushioned.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've seen this when running is super-soft ASICS Gel Niumbus 25s (don't have the issue with other shoes). The shoe is so soft that my foot is shifting slightly on each footstrike, which causes friction issues on longer runs. I've found that tightening up the lacing in the forefoot helps.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply