Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
I hate tubeless wheels so much!
Quote | Reply
I get that tubeless are all the rage, tires must be as wide as possible and pressure as low as possible.
It may be more blasphemous than slamming Lionel, I may be kicked out of TS for saying this, but I fuckin' hate tubeless wheels.

(I used tubeless extensively with MTB, so no stranger. I do all my bike maintenance, so its not like I've never worked on a bike before)

I needed new wheels and tubeless are the only thing you can practically get. I didn't have anything against it, its just that I'm on the trainer for all my rides except for a few pre-race and race rides, so silly to deal with dried sealant and such. "No problem," I figured, "I'll just pop a tube in and not worry about it". But the wheels had a different idea altogether.
The damn tires would not set properly into the rim all the way, causing the ride to be bumpy.
As one might expect, the manufacturers go to great lengths to tell you absolutely nothing about this issue (I had this issue with both Zipp and Hunt), so I foolishly wasted good time and money replacing tires, tubes and rims. Finally I found some dark corner of the internet (e.g. Reddit) where some MTB folks discussed the issue of tire setting into the rim. Ironically, it should not happen with a tube!

And so started my tire setting adventure.

I started gently: I played some nice soothing music, dimmed the lights, lit scented candles, caressed and massaged the tires, whispering sweet nothings. The tires wouldn't budge.
I got angry and decided to teach it a lesson; I drowned it in soap water, pumped it to 5,000 PSI and waited for the blissful pop. Nada.

After many hours and dollars wasted on this stupidity I am still stuck with almost but not quite round wheels.
The wheels won, I give up. I'll sell all my triathlon equipment, leave my family and society behind, go live in a cave somewhere and try to forget about the shameful defeat. I'm done.
Quote Reply
Re: I hate tubeless wheels so much! [DoronG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£ I've been there brother. Fortunately I was able to get GP5000 TL TdF tires to seat on Vision Metron 81 wheels after extensive cleaning under the rim hook. PIA!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And still it is your fault LOL

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You forgot KY lube, thatā€™s why you got a NADA.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
im genuinely interested in how you can have a bumpy tire. Iā€™ve done this hundreds (thousands, maybe?) of times and never had the experience you had

Can you take to the shop to see if they can fix it, Iā€™m under 3 minutes?
Quote Reply
Re: I hate tubeless wheels so much! [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironically, I was very skeptical of tubeless for quite some time when I first heard about the idea. But I went through the months of October and November unable to complete a single training ride without having to swap a tube out on the side of the road. Decided to give tubeless a try. Absolutely sold.
Quote Reply
Re: I hate tubeless wheels so much! [VegasJen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your username may give it away, but where or what types of roads do you ride? Getting flats every ride, or nearly every?
Quote Reply
Re: I hate tubeless wheels so much! [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PBT_2009 wrote:
Your username may give it away, but where or what types of roads do you ride? Getting flats every ride, or nearly every?
It does, more or less. I don't actually live in Vegas anymore. Still close, but I am outside of Vegas. I was picking up a lot of goat heads or mesquite thorns. And yes, pretty much at least once a ride. Occasionally twice in a single ride. Beyond frustrating.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 I was an early road tubeless adopter, e.g. doing it with old Stan's tubeless conversion kits with regular non-tubeless-ready rims and tires (sketchy AF in retrospect, but worked at the time). More than 10 years ago?

All the way to using the latest generation of rims and tires. Including Hunt (MTB and road).

I've never experienced what you're talking about.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you just got unlucky. Some combinations can be finicky. I've been riding American Classic Argent tubeless for ages, many many thousand miles on pretty much the worst roads in the U.S. Every hole has sealed up without me having to stop, except for one in all these years. I've spent thousands on other wheelsets and always come back to these. They just work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't you just run tube and clincher on tubeless wheels? I have HED wheels that are tubeless but have had no issues with latex tubes G5k clinchers on them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mvenneta wrote:
im genuinely interested in how you can have a bumpy tire. Iā€™ve done this hundreds (thousands, maybe?) of times and never had the experience you had

Maybe I have no talent (my wife enthusiastically approves this theory).
Maybe I am unlucky and the combination of zipp 404/808 with conti gp 5 as well as hunt with vittoria corsa both somehow failed.
Or perhaps its a stupid design that depends on high precision between tire and rim to seal the tire using air pressure, and any imperfection or dust/dirt creates friction between so that the tire is stuck by the air pressure and can't move all the way up to the hook.

But forget rationality, I suspect there's a higher cosmic power involved. Tonight I will sacrifice a small goat to Lucifer inside a burning pentagram, then try again to reseat the stupid tires. If it works I will happily denounce all my beliefs and join the tubeless religion. Then all I'll need is a slightly bigger flat kit that could fit a small animal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Itā€™s tricky to ā€œfigure it outā€ the first time w tubeless. Do you have a friend that can mount a tire w you to teach you?

Or (gasp!) go to the shop and have them do it w you for the first time. No shame in learning from someone whoā€™s done it before

If youā€™re having the issue on multiple rim / tire combo, then definitely user error ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GP5000 TL? If so, yeah those tires suck for anyone to mount. The newer GP5000 S TR are much much easier.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I would not use it here or there

I would not use it anywhere."

--Dr Seuss, probably
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the tire doesn't fully seat properly, the tire will be a bit wobbly on the wheel causing a bumpy ride. The OP doesn't mention whether an air compressor is being used rather than a floor pump. The only other tip I'll add is to put the tires in the sun for a few minutes before mounting. It really helps to make them more flexible and easier to install.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I JUST went tubeless a couple weeks ago. Bought HUNT wheels and could not get them set up, but then took them to a respected local mechanic who showed me tricks of the trade how to do it properly. Even the YouTube videos weren't that great--but seeing it first hand, yeah, it is quite easy once you get the hang of it. I have bought Fillmore Valves and regular tubeless universal valves. I'm having mixed feelings about each one. I can say I'm really enjoying the HUNT wheels. There is a 20-25% off their wheels on the site right now...so I nabbed a pair and no issues so far. They are holding air quite well.
Quote Reply
Re: I hate tubeless wheels so much! [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To anyone

Do you think I am a good candidate for tubeless tires?

I ride in the road 4 - 6 times per year. Approx 2 - 3 months between each ride

All other training rides (4 - 6/week) are on the trainer
Quote Reply
Re: I hate tubeless wheels so much! [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From my limited scope of using Tubeless the last few weeks, if I were only on a trainer most of the time I would not use Tubeless. No need, nothing to really roll over & puncture.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mvenneta wrote:

I've got nothing for the OP but I haven't been under 3 minutes since I was 22.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
About two years ago, I was in the same boat, hating tubeless anyway, for several reasons. Now I've got the hang of it.

Your specific problem was discussed on this forum a little over a year ago. Some people didn't believe the issue existed. (I posted links to park tools videos explaining the issue.)

Problems getting a tire up on the bead shelf is a issue involving both the tire (mostly imo) and rim. For me on aluminum rims, I've had no problems at all with panaracer, tufo, and continental gravel tires. However, 34mm schwalbe g-one rs (really a road tire) are very difficult to seat. With them I know that if I flat and I have to put in a tube, I will likely not get tires fully seated unless I bring Co2, which I usually don't carry.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: I hate tubeless wheels so much! [AchillesHeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AchillesHeal wrote:
Can't you just run tube and clincher on tubeless wheels? I have HED wheels that are tubeless but have had no issues with latex tubes G5k clinchers on them.

This - just don't use a TLR tire if you're going to run tubes all the time. Heck, if you're riding inside as you say, don't even use your good wheels have crappy wheels for the trainer and then just setup your carbon wheels tubeless for your race?

Tubeless since 2018 and sure we all hate having to seat a new tire the first time, but my lord is it worth many times over.
Quote Reply
Re: I hate tubeless wheels so much! [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
To anyone

Do you think I am a good candidate for tubeless tires?

I ride in the road 4 - 6 times per year. Approx 2 - 3 months between each ride

All other training rides (4 - 6/week) are on the trainer

Iā€™m the same. Tried it. But it dried out. As the wheels didnā€™t move.

Sold the TLR tyres and got standard ā€˜tube neededā€™ tyres of similar spec and Iā€™m back with TPU tubes. Even thou the TLR tubes would take tubes. They just didnā€™t seat properly.

My only thought if I was to stay tubeless was to empty / clean the tyres after racing season and leave them empty and refill come race week. But for all that hassle Iā€™m still with tubes.

Regards, Richard
Quote Reply
Re: I hate tubeless wheels so much! [thetrickster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's why you need something like this..

Really as much a I like my tubeless, I wouldn't recommend them for occasional use.
Last edited by: INVALID REQUEST: Apr 27, 24 23:51
Quote Reply
Re: I hate tubeless wheels so much! [VegasJen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
VegasJen wrote:
Ironically, I was very skeptical of tubeless for quite some time when I first heard about the idea. But I went through the months of October and November unable to complete a single training ride without having to swap a tube out on the side of the road. Decided to give tubeless a try. Absolutely sold.

in my case it's the opposite: roads are silky-smooth where i live. in the past decade i think i've had one or two flats, and at least one (a giant woodscrew) i'm not sure tubeless would've prevented. in my case, tubes are cheap and easy, they work with the tools i have, and tubeless still sort of feels like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply

Prev Next