Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
If we were to review electric cars...
Quote | Reply
1. do you care?
2. which cars are you interested in?

i care, because with a little luck, god willing and the creek don't rise, i'll have a grid tie solar system installed at the compound by the end if this year (or very shortly thereafter). on my radar - then - is to farm my own gasoline, so to speak. i will keep a truck, for trucklike reasons. but going to the pool for the swim session, grocery shopping, etc., my thought is to move to an electric vehicle.

it will have to take a bike in the back, without a lot of hassle, and on the inside of the car, not on a rack. i think i need 300mi of range. and i would commute on a skateboard before i bought a car from odious brand owners. i would imagine you would have imperatives as well. so, are you interested in an electric car purchase and, if so, what's important to you and what brands do you want to know more about?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: If we were to review electric cars... [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just to be forthcoming: I visit slowtwitch for triathlon and endurance sport informationI visit other sites for car/truck information.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Installing a solar system right now and want to move to EV once current cars lives end and price is right. Would love to fit a bike in the back and also need room for many kids. Distance is important and ease of charging… AC at home and L2 DC charging out and about. I’m interested.
Quote Reply
Re: If we were to review electric cars... [Parkland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Parkland wrote:
Just to be forthcoming: I visit slowtwitch for triathlon and endurance sport informationI visit other sites for car/truck information.

i will try not to get over my skis on any article i might write. we have a lane and i know what ours is. but when i read reviews of electric cars i haven't found any that discuss whether (for example) can put my bike in it without taking the wheel off, or if i can put my and my wife's bikes both in there with just the front wheels off. motor trend we are not; but we might be able to go off piste with decent skill.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Parkland wrote:

i will try not to get over my skis on any article i might write. we have a lane and i know what ours is. but when i read reviews of electric cars i haven't found any that discuss whether (for example) can put my bike in it without taking the wheel off, or if i can put my and my wife's bikes both in there with just the front wheels off. motor trend we are not; but we might be able to go off piste with decent skill.

I have a Tesla Model Y, and I often put the seats down and can fit my Open U.P. size Large in the back without taking the wheels off - 650b wheels with 2.1 tires. I have placed a blanket on top of said bike and was able to fit another bike on top, both inside. It has the range you seek if driven in range-maximizing fashion, but not in the way most people drive. This will be true of most of today's EVs.

With respect to odious brand owners, I don't disagree with your thoughts, but he has become a much bigger public asshole since I ordered my car in mid-2021, and despite my negative opinion on his activities and attitude related to things other than Tesla, it remains by far the best EV company making cars today. I admire what he's done with Tesla and how that has dragged the rest of the industry toward emission-free vehicles. If I were buying now, I'd look around, and welcome the Slowtwitch/endurance sports angle on EVs, but I suspect I'd still hold my nose and buy a Tesla, because both the cars and the charging network are light years ahead of the competition.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Parkland wrote:

That’s fair and I can see the value in that content.

I also enjoy seeing people document their transitions to off the grid style situations. Maybe a semi-documentary series of articles about your, or others, process.

For example, I really enjoyed following That Triathlon Life’s videos going over their van renovation to make it a mobile training home.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Parkland wrote:
Slowman wrote:
Parkland wrote:

That’s fair and I can see the value in that content.

I also enjoy seeing people document their transitions to off the grid style situations. Maybe a semi-documentary series of articles about your, or others, process.

For example, I really enjoyed following That Triathlon Life’s videos going over their van renovation to make it a mobile training home.

i am fully into van life, for sure. i did write about that, specifically my own experience with it, more than 20yr ago. but my version of van life, back then, was my camper on my truck. 3 trucks later, but i still have that same camper.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would be interested in how many bikes/gear/skis you can put in various model EV's. Especially a ski pass through, or split rear seats, or bike can go in vertically with front wheel off on each side with room in the middle for equipment and luggage in a 2 person config
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What would you like to see more of on the site?

E-DUB
Chief Janitor @Slowtwitch
Life is short. Dont be mad all the time.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) No I don’t care from a need to know as I’ve already got a Tesla Model 3w/solar at home and a Tesla power charger. However do not put a bike into it or have a rack on it—it’s a local commuter for us & small—not practical for trips or cargo storage.
2) I am interested from curiosity standpoint on performance /reliability of either Lucid or Rivian. Just overpriced from what I see…
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
1. do you care?
2. which cars are you interested in?

i care, because with a little luck, god willing and the creek don't rise, i'll have a grid tie solar system installed at the compound by the end if this year (or very shortly thereafter). on my radar - then - is to farm my own gasoline, so to speak. i will keep a truck, for trucklike reasons. but going to the pool for the swim session, grocery shopping, etc., my thought is to move to an electric vehicle.

it will have to take a bike in the back, without a lot of hassle, and on the inside of the car, not on a rack. i think i need 300mi of range. and i would commute on a skateboard before i bought a car from odious brand owners. i would imagine you would have imperatives as well. so, are you interested in an electric car purchase and, if so, what's important to you and what brands do you want to know more about?

Rivian R1S might get you there.

Quote | Reply
Purchased a Polestar 2 back in May. Wasn’t planning on getting an EV but I love it. Mainly from a performance perspective, can’t beat electric motors.

I can fit my 56 P5 disc with the wheels on in the back with the seats down.

Range isn’t that great. I can’t get 200 miles but I also drive extremely fast and aggressive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Not really.
2. Something is telling me Vinfast...not sure why.
Quote Reply
Re: If we were to review electric cars... [jwmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jwmott wrote:
1. Not really.
2. Something is telling me Vinfast...not sure why.

i like the idea of vinfast. further, i like their initial idea, which was a battery lease. $169. they got a lot of heck for that, so they offered just the whole car, battery included. but i still like the lease, if i have a chance at a different, better battery to lease somewhere along the way. what happens if i engage in a 10yr battery lease but, 6 years in, there's a 500mi battery available? could i pay a kill fee on my current battery lease and begin anew with the new battery? i stopped and talked to them 5 times in kona, and i spoke to them at length after kona. i get the sense that they're very good at making cars, but they're on their heels a bit when figuring out the US market. their policies are in flux. my instinct tells me that they need a good US-centric circle of folks they trust to help them navigate this market, and to make first, lean-forward decisions.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: If we were to review electric cars... [Ewynn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My hope is that reviews of motorized vehicles on this site includes discussion related to features of the vehicle that do or don't help prevent collisions with cyclists or pedestrians and/or minimize injuries to cyclists or pedestrians when collisions occur.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Nov 4, 22 17:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m in. I have been tracking EVs for purchase for 6 months. I abandoned my Ioniq 5 quest and bought a Tesla last week. I have reservations on the Blazer EV, Lyriq, and Genesis GV70. (I may have EV lust issues.)
Quote Reply
Re: If we were to review electric cars... [lrcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But with a name... Canuck, you can not drive that way. Wait, are you an Albertan/Texan?

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is a project I'm in charge of at work. It will fit you and your wife's bike without removing the wheels ;)

https://www.e-one.com/vector/

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. I care
2. i love my Tesla X - I really can't imagine having anything else.

I am a busy guy and getting gas was always a pain. Now, it is sort of like my iphone . . . just plug it in at night and all is fine. Car rated at 372 miles and I easily get over 00, which is plenty for 99.9 percent of my driving - really not an issue.

I can fit my Cervelo PD in the back with wheels on no problem (fold down 2nd row seats).

EVs make performance and performance comparison basically a non-issue . . . they are all so fast that it just isn't a criteria anymore.

I too am interested in the VinnFast. I enjoyed looking at them in Kona.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Parkland wrote:

This.
When you want reviews on stuff, you go to the people who do it the best, like DC Rainmaker and whomever does good car reviews. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) yes, absolutely.
2) I want to know about bike/triathlon friendly electric and plug in electric vehicles (PHEV), ones where you can fit your bike in. I think it would be great to cover both new and used vehicles (the used EV market is already big and will get even bigger soon), in a wide range of price points.

True story - I was interested in the Tesla Model 3, but then when I had a friend pick me and my bike up, it almost didn’t fit in no matter what we tried. We ended up taking both wheels off, going through the back seat, only after moving the driver seat all the way up. What a mess. My Chevy Volt on the other hand, works great popping bikes in thru the back hatchback. Since my XL tri bike is extremely long I do have to take the front wheel off but even a medium size bike would fit in wheels and all. That’s the kind of info I want to know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Adding to your quest post, DM me if you are interested in my mega EV tracker spreadsheet. The current best three are the Kia EV6, Ionic 5 and Chevy Bolt. All three can host a bike inside. The first two are almost unobtaniopum. The Bolt is acquirable and quite nice. If you order a Tesla Model Y now, it will probably deliver early 2023 with the Fed subsidy and can also easily host a bike. There are many trade offs between them, but all are good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. I care, and I would imagine just a matter of time before everyone does too. Here in CA they are going to stop selling gas cars in about a dozen years altogether, so the future is going to catch up with all of us sooner or later.

2. Of course I want to be able to put my toys in the car, and inside makes most sense until they are routinely putting out 500 mile batteries. With 500 ranges you could start to put stuff on top, bikes, skis, surfboards, etc, and still be able to get around without mileage anxiety.

3. I'm not excited about leasing batteries, really puts a crimp in your resale value, and I just dont like the idea of never getting out from under payments. I think an extra battery warranty would be fine, as long as it was priced right.

4. And I'm very interested in the Vinfast, just because they are interested in us. I would love a discount code to introduce their new cars to the US, we could be the test group that helps them sort out the market. But it would have to be a very attractive offer, too many other choices out there that would be similar, and no doubt easier to get serviced.
Quote Reply
Re: If we were to review electric cars... [cholla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[/quote]despite my negative opinion on his activities and attitude related to things other than Tesla, it remains by far the best EV company making cars today. I admire what he's done with Tesla and how that has dragged the rest of the industry toward emission-free vehicles. If I were buying now, I'd look around, and welcome the Slowtwitch/endurance sports angle on EVs, but I suspect I'd still hold my nose and buy a Tesla, because both the cars and the charging network are light years ahead of the competition.[/quote]
History shows first is almost never the best. Tesla will go out of business sooner rather than later.
Quote Reply
Re: If we were to review electric cars... [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Adding to your quest post, DM me if you are interested in my mega EV tracker spreadsheet. The current best three are the Kia EV6, Ionic 5 and Chevy Bolt. All three can host a bike inside. The first two are almost unobtaniopum. The Bolt is acquirable and quite nice. If you order a Tesla Model Y now, it will probably deliver early 2023 with the Fed subsidy and can also easily host a bike. There are many trade offs between them, but all are good.

i'm also kind of particular about all wheel drive because of where i live. any thought of the chevy blazer?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply

Prev Next