Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ironman Flex90 - Free Transfers & Deferrals
Quote | Reply
I just got the Ironman email that announces their Flex90 early entry benefits. If I understand it correctly, if you register for a 2023 race in the first 90 days registration opens, you can defer or transfer for free up to 7 days before the race.
Last edited by: exxxviii: Aug 23, 22 7:56
Quote Reply
Re: AWA Benefits Just Got Real - Free Transfers & Deferrals [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This isn’t an AWA benefit it’s for anyone, we just heard about it first. Still it’s a great move by IM to have a more robust transfer/deferral policy. It’d be cool if they worked in an enhanced benefit for AWA.
Quote Reply
Re: AWA Benefits Just Got Real - Free Transfers & Deferrals [marquette42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, that's even better! When I saw the opening "As an All World Athlete..." line, I confused myself and thought it was just limited to that group. Agree this is huge. And agree that AWA should have some enhanced benefit, since they are IM brand frequent flyers.
Quote Reply
Re: AWA Benefits Just Got Real - Free Transfers & Deferrals [marquette42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marquette42 wrote:
This isn’t an AWA benefit it’s for anyone, we just heard about it first. Still it’s a great move by IM to have a more robust transfer/deferral policy. It’d be cool if they worked in an enhanced benefit for AWA.

Agreed it's a good move in the right direction.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: AWA Benefits Just Got Real - Free Transfers & Deferrals [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
People will still argue this is a money grab from Ironman.

https://www.ironman.com/early-benefits

Looks like it is retroactive for any 2023 events people have already signed up for. Refund is 50% or 25%. WC events excluded.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Flex90 - Free Transfers & Deferrals [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As AWA athlete, you have received an earlier information, but as said, it is a benefit for everyone.

Sadly, the information was sent the 23rd August, and IM Lanzorote "flex 90" deadline ended the 22nd.. so it is not for me. But it is a move in the good direction. Even if they have added the limitation with the price.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
I just got the Ironman email that announces their Flex90 early entry benefits. If I understand it correctly, if you register for a 2023 race in the first 90 days registration opens, you can defer or transfer for free up to 7 days before the race.

Was just perusing the flex90 benefits for 2024 and thought it might be worth it to post that ironman has updated the terms. You now have to let them know if you want to transfer or defer to next year 45 days out from the race intend of 7 days which is what the program benefit was in 2022 and 2023.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Flex90 - Free Transfers & Deferrals [Tribike53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good catch.... 45 days is a lot of time to get injured, sick or anything that actually makes you need to defer. You still get the 25% refund up to 7 days, better than nothing but far from great. Disappointing.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Flex90 - Free Transfers & Deferrals [CaliB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This policy is a bit silly.
For any race that doesn't sell out you effectively have an incentive to sign up a week before the race.
The only disadvantages are that it costs a little more (but not more than a race insurance) and that you don't get your name on the t-shirt.

Ironman needs a strong incentive for people to sign up early, they are not doing themselves any favours.
Last edited by: marcoviappiani: Nov 6, 23 23:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've found an issue with this Flex90 plan - I've booked a race for the end of next year - the last IM70.3 race of the year here, and due to conflicting calendars I'm going to have to miss it
- but I don't see any options for me to move to another event after as the Flex90 is only the current year...

Regards, Richard
3D Bits and Pieces - https://www.printables.com/@thetrickster_793480
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Flex90 - Free Transfers & Deferrals [thetrickster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thetrickster wrote:
I've found an issue with this Flex90 plan - I've booked a race for the end of next year - the last IM70.3 race of the year here, and due to conflicting calendars I'm going to have to miss it
- but I don't see any options for me to move to another event after as the Flex90 is only the current year...

My buddy ran into this same issue with ironman Florida this past weekend. Since Florida is the second to last ironman of the year he could only transfer to Arizona or defer to Florida next year (2024).

Definitely something to think about if you are signing up for a late in the year race.

It should be transfer to any race in the next 12 months or defer to next year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tribike53 wrote:
thetrickster wrote:

My buddy ran into this same issue with ironman Florida this past weekend. Since Florida is the second to last ironman of the year he could only transfer to Arizona or defer to Florida next year (2024).

Definitely something to think about if you are signing up for a late in the year race.

It's also worth noting that the defer to next year is only on 140.6 races. For 70.3s it's to an open race in the same region in the same calendar year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tribike53 wrote:
thetrickster wrote:

Agreed that it needs to be changed to a race in the next 12 months or deferral to next year's race. Late season race folks totally get screwed.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Flex90 - Free Transfers & Deferrals [ivantriker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
by chance do you or anyone have anything in writing that states 2023 Flex90 Benefits? I registered for Oceanside the day it opened and I recall seeing you could transfer much closer to the race date or even after (maybe I am confusing this with Challenge Policies) The person I am going back and forth with says the policies have always been "Transfer 45days" prior to event date - which obviously is the current Policy. He says send a screen shot of the policy I read.

All the Ironman Spam emails I get where you can click through the "Learn More" tab for Flex90 .... I get "Page Not Found"
Last edited by: scca_ita: Feb 28, 24 12:24
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Flex90 - Free Transfers & Deferrals [scca_ita] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Flex90 - Free Transfers & Deferrals [Bill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Bill - wish I knew HTML like you but B I N G O - IM is so full of shit and obviously dont care about their customers!

Text before IM scrubs the link:

Flex90 Regulations and Deadlines
For all athletes who have registered within the first 90 days of the initial race opening, the following Rules and Deadlines apply:
Withdrawal and Partial Refund
Partial Refund
Athletes who register in the first 90 days are eligible to receive a 50% registration fee refund by the deadline of 4 months prior to race day, or a 25% registration fee refund by the deadline from 4 months to 7 days prior to the event All partial refund requests must be confirmed by the deadlines provided and requested via email to the event specific email.  
Transfer Program
Transfers
Athletes who register in the first 90 days are eligible to transfer to an open 2023 North American IRONMAN or IRONMAN 70.3 within the North American Transfer Program fee-free. Please note, IROMAN 70.3 athletes can only transfer to other open IRONMAN 70.3 events and the athlete will be required to pay the price difference if the price of registration for the event in which the athlete is transferring to is higher than the initial registration fee charged at the time of registration. All transfer requests must be confirmed by 7 days prior to the event. Relays are not eligible for transfer.
Rules
1. The transfer option is not available for Relay Teams.
2. Transfers are applicable to General Entry and IRONMAN Foundation entries. Entries purchased or provided through third-party charities, travel groups and/or sponsors are not able to transfer. Athletes are not eligible to transfer into the relay category of an IRONMAN 70.3 event.
3. IRONMAN 70.3 entries are only eligible to transfer to IRONMAN 70.3 distance events.
4. The event transferred into must be in the same calendar year as the original event year.
5. If an athlete is transferring from a higher priced race to a lower priced race, the athlete will not be refunded the difference.
6. If an athlete is transferring from a lower priced race to a higher priced race, the athlete will be required to pay the difference.
7. Entry into sold-out events is not available.
8. Entry into events that only have IRONMAN Foundation and/or Charity slots open is not available.
9. There is no transfer fee.
10. We regret that entry into or out of the following events is not available. Unavailable North American events include:

• IRONMAN 70.3 Panama

• IRONMAN 70.3 Hawai`i

• IRONMAN 70.3 Puerto Rico

• IRONMAN 70.3 Monterrey

• IRONMAN 70.3 Muskoka

• IRONMAN 70.3 Calgary

• IRONMAN 70.3 Cozumel

• IRONMAN Cozumel

• IRONMAN 70.3 Los Cabos

• IRONMAN 70.3 Acapulco

• IRONMAN World Championship

• IRONMAN 70.3 World Championships

*This list is subject to change as races are added to our event series.
10. Athletes must transfer out of a race prior to 7 days before the race.
11. Athletes may transfer into eligible races until 45 days prior to the transfers race date.
12. If a one-day license (USAT, Triathlon Quebec, Tri Canada, etc.) was purchased along with the original race entry, it cannot be transferred to the new race and will need to be repurchased by the athlete.
13. Races to be transferred into must be open for General Registration for at least 10 days (Priority registration does not count towards the 10 days).
14. Once a transfer has been processed, the athlete is no longer eligible for any additional withdrawal options, including but not limited to, a partial refund, deferral or transfer from their new event.
15. If an athlete qualifies for the IRONMAN World Championship or the IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship, an existing IRONMAN (140.6) entry will not transfer to either of these events.
16. If Registration Protection was purchased on the original entry, athletes will need to contact the third-party provider regarding the policy.
17. If an athlete deferred into a race from a prior race year, the athlete is not eligible to transfer the deferral entry to another race.
18. Athletes cannot transfer their slot to another person.
Process
To request a transfer simply email IRONMAN at the contact address specific to your race (email addresses can be found under the "Connect" tab of the event website).
Expect to hear back from IRONMAN within three business days. This allows us time to verify your information and confirm space in your requested event. Transfer requests will be processed on a first-come-first-served basis.
Once your request has been processed, you will receive a unique link to transfer yourself into your requested event.
FAQ
Q: What if the event I want to transfer into sells out before I receive my registration link?
A: Depending on when you submitted your request, and how much space was remaining in the event, we will still try to accommodate your original request. However, we cannot promise that your first choice will always be granted.

Q: What communication should I expect after I email about my transfer?
A: You will receive a cancellation email for the event you are transferring out of, an email containing your registration link for the transferred event and a confirmation of the completed transfer after the registration link is emailed to you. You will be contacted if your first choice is no longer available. If this is the case, we will follow up with you to confirm you still would like entry into your second or third choice of races.

Q: Can I transfer between regions (ie, a North American race to a European race)?
A: At this time, that option is not available.

Q: What communication should I expect after I email about my transfer?
A: You will receive a cancellation email for the event you are transferring out of, an email containing your registration link for the transferred event and a confirmation of the completed transfer after the registration link is emailed to you. You will be contacted if your first choice is no longer available. If this is the case, we will follow up with you to confirm you still would like entry into your second or third choice of races.

Q: What if I transfer into another event and I am unable to compete, am I eligible for a refund or additional transfer?
A: Once a transfer request has been redeemed, athletes are not eligible to receive a refund or an additional transfer should they be unable to compete in the event that was transferred into. Additionally, athletes are not eligible for a deferral to the following year.
Deferral Program
Deferrals
(ONLY FOR IRONMAN events, NOT eligible for 70.3 events) 
Athletes are eligible to defer their registration to the same event in 2024, at no additional cost. All deferral requests must be confirmed by 7 days prior to the event. If any additional purchases were made with your registration, these items will not be deferred with your entry.  
If you have any questions with regards to North America event Transfers, Withdrawals or Deferral, please contact the event specific email address, which can be found under Connect on the event webpages.
Last edited by: scca_ita: Feb 28, 24 16:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I remember it being 45 days. I made a note on my calendar when the tri bike stuff hit back in the fall.
Calculated I had until early February to make the call. Eventually transferred out in mid January.

Very easy actually.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Screen recording just in case: https://imgur.com/a/sDbMeaQ
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Flex90 - Free Transfers & Deferrals [bulldog15] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I registered July7th 2023 - At that time I read through the Flex90 Policy and made my determination based on 7 day requirement per the txt I posted from the link Bill provided. Appear based on this thread they changes it end of summer or fall 2023.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that is the case. You can transfer out as close as 7 days before, but you need to transfer in 45 days or more prior to the race
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can’t find the email but based on a text thread I had with friends, I believe an email was sent August 15 with the change from 7 days to 45.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Flex90 - Free Transfers & Deferrals [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Possible to get the emails or txt?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like I deleted the email. The text was just me sending a quick note to friends asking if they had seen the changes.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Flex90 - Free Transfers & Deferrals [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Add this to the long list of reasons why IM sucks.

I registered for Oceanside last year (first 70.3 and first IM race) on the day it opened so agreed to the terms detailed above that clearly state transfers are allowed up to 7 days before the event. However, I've reached out to IM Oceanside and they don't give a flying fuck about the terms I agreed to and instead are insisting I cannot transfer due to the current policy restricting transfers within 45 days of the race. Retroactively applying this rule is hot garbage and if it isn't outright illegal it's absolutely gross, though unsurprising, behavior from IM. I've got a couple more IM races I'm registered for this year, but I will avoid the brand as much as possible moving forward.
Quote Reply
Re: AWA Benefits Just Got Real - Free Transfers & Deferrals [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’d like to extend thanks to those who replied…. Here is how my transfer attempt concluded.

First they (Charlie?) stated that the policy has not changed and 45days has always been the policy. Then I send them the txt from the link thank you Bill. Oh that is not an official link. Then I said but it is the txt from the Read More link on the Flex90 email which is now delete from IM website….Page Not Found. Then they acknowledged that this was indeed the 2023 policy but I registered for a 2024 race so doesn’t apply…. I replied that this was the only policy presented to me to make my purchase decision and the only changes reserved by IM are noted to be races excluded from stated Policy…so this is a bait and switch?….. They reply sorry we try to be fair and equitable but only offer a 25% refund. Love to see if there is a class action lawyer tracking all these bait and switch tactics. It is not the first time for me, certainly there is a cumulative damage to consumers across multiple years to make this interesting. I am done with IM racing for now. Strike 3. In any case I am kind of the last man standing as most if not all of my training buddies have moved on. Guess I am the last sucker standing but rather be MT Biking now.
Last edited by: scca_ita: Mar 1, 24 18:36
Quote Reply

Prev Next