Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman Pro Series 70.3 St. George [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For me, it was mostly because his cadence was super high. Maybe he just likes to spin it like that.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Pro Series 70.3 St. George [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I kinda missed it, did Sam just wave Sperl through or did something happen?

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Pro Series 70.3 St. George [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He waved him through at the start of snow canyon, and man that is a hard climb. I got to do it last summer in the world senior games as a hill climb tt, it is no joke. I think sam is thinking to just pace up it, and then there is a long gradual downhill where he can really smash anyone trying to hold 400 watts. And as I write this, sam is taking over the lead, had a nice break and is ready to hammer to the finish of T2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
He waved him through at the start of snow canyon, and man that is a hard climb. I got to do it last summer in the world senior games as a hill climb tt, it is no joke. I think sam is thinking to just pace up it, and then there is a long gradual downhill where he can really smash anyone trying to hold 400 watts. And as I write this, sam is taking over the lead, had a nice break and is ready to hammer to the finish of T2

Yeah, I've raced STG 70.3 like 5 times. The part where he waved him through is really low angle and fast, but they're in the tough part now.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One thing overall I'm surprised about is the lack of quality of fields in these ironman series races. When they announced the big prize purse earlier, I really thought that these races would be super stacked at the front, and not full of BOP pros crowding up the races. It really doesnt even feel like the fields are better than what they were before the series money was put in.

I suppose it is the T100 effect and most of the names we have come to recognize are tied up and picking and choosing. That and the olympic year stuff, lot of great athletes who would normally race tied up there too. Really is going to be a nice bonus for some lower lever pros filling out the top 10 positions this year for sure...

And how much do we miss Lionel not racing here, looks like its giving Sam an easy chip shot to the hole...But anything can still happen, just doesnt seem like it at this point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's with all the chain drops? It looks like guys are riding one bys, not like it is a bumpy course. Maybe they need front chain holders. Did like Costes on the fly fix, done that many times myself back in the day. Just have to stop immediately and not jam that thing at the bottom of the crank, and it is easy peasy to pull it back on...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My god Michael Lovato makes these broadcasts so hard to watch. Rinnie is such a pro...I have no idea how she stays so polite as he spews utter nonsense.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
One thing overall I'm surprised about is the lack of quality of fields in these ironman series races. When they announced the big prize purse earlier, I really thought that these races would be super stacked at the front, and not full of BOP pros crowding up the races. It really doesnt even feel like the fields are better than what they were before the series money was put in.

I suppose it is the T100 effect and most of the names we have come to recognize are tied up and picking and choosing. That and the olympic year stuff, lot of great athletes who would normally race tied up there too. Really is going to be a nice bonus for some lower lever pros filling out the top 10 positions this year for sure...

And how much do we miss Lionel not racing here, looks like its giving Sam an easy chip shot to the hole...But anything can still happen, just doesnt seem like it at this point.

Huh? This is a bit of a misunderstanding in where the sport has been for the past several years. You used to have WPRO fields of 5. Now We've had several races where the WPRO fields are huge. Which is what you want. The other thing to understand is that there is also an Ironman next week in Mallorca on the pro series and both fields are stacked.

So the only way to have "more" stacked fields is to have less races. And Ironman isn't trying to be T100.

Tons of people on this board talk mad smack on BOP pros, but what we've seen with t100 and now the Ironman Series combined is pros actually racing which is something that wasn't happening en masse. So the fields are packed. Before Miami people didn't think of India Lee as someone who could contend and was going to be a journeyman pro.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sam so far ahead already
He just blasted off onto the run

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Pro Series 70.3 St. George [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did Lovato just say "pack your shoes with vaseline and skip the socks"? Christ.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
What's with all the chain drops? It looks like guys are riding one bys, not like it is a bumpy course. Maybe they need front chain holders. Did like Costes on the fly fix, done that many times myself back in the day. Just have to stop immediately and not jam that thing at the bottom of the crank, and it is easy peasy to pull it back on...

Chain drops much more likely on harder courses. Guys will ride bigger cassette and thus longer chain so when you are down in the 11t, 10t, doesn't take much to knock it off.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Pro Series 70.3 St. George [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That makes sense, and perhaps the reason to put on a front derailleur on those courses...

And I'm all for more pros racing in these races, but when you see Paula riding through and with a dozen of the men, and who knows how many behind, perhaps the card needs to be tightened up a bit. And if Knibb is there, 10 minutes further up the road and aborter 20 men behind the women's race that started well behind to start with..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ben Hamilton running himself onto the podium!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Pro Series 70.3 St. George [WhittleFit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sam Long is insane. Winning a 70.3 by over 6 minutes.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Pro Series 70.3 St. George [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
F**k the Norwegian train... here comes the American 18 wheeler :)

timr wrote:
Sam Long is insane. Winning a 70.3 by over 6 minutes.

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sam is having an incredible season.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes - If he can put in this kind of performance at Worlds, he is a very strong contender. Hard to think of anyone in the world that would likely beat this performance.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Problem is World's is soooo far away. I hope he can keep this form, but every other season and endurance sport suggests that's very unlikely.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A great race for sam, just like the 3 previous ones, all right on track with super solid bike/runs..But come on Ed, I can think of 10 guys that can give him a race at worlds, none of which are here of course. As I said in an earlier post, the quality of field is super weak here, he should win by this much. I mean who are the next 3 guys again here?? Have we already forgot the 3 different guys that have beaten him this year already, and those with the real potential to once they cross back over to this distance??

He really needs to get that swim down with Lionel, it will matter later on when all the boys are on the line and on fire. Its kind of like there wasn't even a swim today, even though it was a really fast one with the guys at front drilling it..

And I'm a sam fanboy too, just want him to close the gaps so that he is not out run in the big races for the big places...
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Pro Series 70.3 St. George [Lagoon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hoping for an exciting sprint between Jackson and Antony!

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
A great race for sam, just like the 3 previous ones, all right on track with super solid bike/runs..But come on Ed, I can think of 10 guys that can give him a race at worlds, none of which are here of course. As I said in an earlier post, the quality of field is super weak here, he should win by this much. I mean who are the next 3 guys again here?? Have we already forgot the 3 different guys that have beaten him this year already, and those with the real potential to once they cross back over to this distance??

He really needs to get that swim down with Lionel, it will matter later on when all the boys are on the line and on fire. Its kind of like there wasn't even a swim today, even though it was a really fast one with the guys at front drilling it..

And I'm a sam fanboy too, just want him to close the gaps so that he is not out run in the big races for the big places...

So based on this even the t100 fields are bad haha.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I mean, you have 4 guys that were in the top 11 at 70.3 worlds last year, right? And one guy who was 8th at Ironman Worlds in Nice? and he didn't just beat them. He SMOKED them. It's a huge margin and he wasn't pushed. How much faster could he go?

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Pro Series 70.3 St. George [Lagoon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lagoon wrote:
Problem is World's is soooo far away. I hope he can keep this form, but every other season and endurance sport suggests that's very unlikely.

I really wonder if he’s taking much down time between races. Coaching yourself makes it really hard to put the brakes on and force some rest. I hope someone is looking at the big picture race plan for the year and he’s not just planning week to week. Could make the end of the year rough if he’s not planning for it.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Pro Series 70.3 St. George [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amazing finish by Costes! Woohoo! And fantastic race by Quenet too.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The commentators have no idea what's going on. Nothing beyond the (delayed, obviously) tracking data. Lovato even got the sprint finish wrong, he said Laundry had beaten Quenet to one even after the tracker showed the finishing times of both 😂

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply

Prev Next