Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

L/R power (im)balance
Quote | Reply
Hi all. Since I purchased my Faveros, my left/right balance has gone from consistently 53/47, to consistently 55/45, and occasionally 56/44.
I have a feeling it's a legacy from a knee reconstruction from when I was 20.

1) Any idea how common this is?
2) At what point could this become a problem?
3) If you've been there & 'corrected' it, how did you do it?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: L/R power (im)balance [NAB777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All assuming you've got the Assiomas properly calibrated.

1) Most people have discrepancies. I regularly have 52/48 with no problems, but used to have a bigger difference when recovering from a muscle injury. FYI, I have a total leg length difference of 0.9cm.
2) Once you go into extremes: overload overly too much, very aggressive aero position (or 'normal' aero position with e.g. lower back injury).
3) Low cadence work, single leg pedalling, single leg squat (but always do equal work for both sides, don't do more for the weaker side)

• Hint to 'self-diagnose', quad & hamstring focus: stand barefoot in front of a mirror and attempt single leg squat, super slowly. Do you feel equally confident in both? Do your body shake equally on both sides?
  • Hint to 'self-diagnose', calf & foot focus: stand barefoot on a stair with your mid-foot and do a full calf rise, from negative to positive angle, super slowly. Do you feel equally confident in both? Do you break your rising movement pattern in the weaker leg? For this you either need to have a complicated mirror system, video recording or an observant.

Quote Reply
Re: L/R power (im)balance [NAB777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Could it be that the Faveros have a different stack height than your previous pedals?
I notice my L/R balance (or more accurately im-balance, haha) gets thrown off when my saddle is too high.
Even just 3mm make a difference. Usually I am at 48/52. Wrong seat height and it easily gets to 46/54.

As for a remedy - you could incorporate some single-leg squats in your training regimen, do that for a few weeks, and see if it changes anything.

I love rim brake bikes!
Last edited by: DavidNeu: Apr 10, 24 8:38
Quote Reply