Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

MT Lemmon in December
Quote | Reply
Hoping some Tucson locals could weigh in. I will be visiting family in Arizona during Christmas and New Years and was curious if the Mt Lemmon ride is doable at this time of the year. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: MT Lemmon in December [Rfitz24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not a local but travelled to Tucson to ride 3x over the years, once in December, once January, and once in February. I rode lemmon all the way up to ski valley on all my trips.

It is totally do-able, except for when the road closes for snow at summerhaven, which happens occasionally. Locals will be able to comment more about how often that occurs and how long it is closed for when it does happen.

Assuming road is open, layer accordingly and have a blast! On one of my rides the temperature range was 29F (in the valley near middle near) to 65F (at base). Admittedly, I had to do my rides very early in the morning, so if you're able to do it more near midday, I'm assuming the temperatures will be much friendlier but depends on the day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very hit or miss, but often doable with expectation of it being cold at the top.

My Strava | My Instagram | Summerville, SC | 35-39 AG | 4:41 (70.3), 10:05 (140.6) | 3x70.3, 1x140.6 | Cat 2 Cyclist
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Typically yes.
If we get a winter storm the road to the top will often be closed to all but residents/chains. Sometimes they will let bikes go up but tell you to turn around at milepost X or XX.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: MT Lemmon in December [theyellowcarguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live at the base of the mountain and have done Mt Lemmon 100+ times.

The road is often closed during storms or when there is fresh snow.

The rest of the time, the road is open 26 miles to Ski Valley.

There is a steep road that goes from the base of Sky valley to very close to the summit.
This last bit of road is about 1 mile. It is closed during winter. But you can lift your bike over the barrier and ride it anyway.
(This might not be feasible with snow on the road).

Typically, it is about 25 degrees colder at the top of Mt. Lemmon than it is at the bottom.

A 60 degree day in Tucson would mean WINTER conditions on the summit.

High speeds, in sub 40 degree weather, WILL mean hypothermia risk, if you don't have winter cycling gear.

It is a fun ride all year round

I have had many issues with extreme cold though.
(Sometimes in fall, spring and summer!)
Last edited by: Velocibuddha: Nov 27, 23 8:59
Quote Reply
Re: MT Lemmon in December [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for all the input! We will come prepared and monitor the weather. Fingers crossed December 30th is a decent day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
100% doable and you should absolutely go for it. Aim to be riding downhill from the top right as the temperatures reach their peak for the day for the optimal experience. If you mistime your day, then riding down from the top around sunset is a very bad, (dangerously cold) but beautiful, experience wearing nothing but short-sleeved spandex.

One time...
We were just being thoughtless and overconfident after a few weeks super enjoyable and problem-free riding of Mount Lemmon every day. We had done a 24-hour ride on the mountain in appropriate gear choices and it was without any temperature issues. We just weren't thinking and got lazy with our ride planning. It ended up being a dangerous ride down. Violent-shivering-induced near crashes for both of us. We had been camping on Lemmon for a couple weeks and hadn't ridden anywhere but the mountain for those weeks, so we got overly comfy with how awesome of an experience it can be.

You should still do it. Just plan the timing right. :)

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rfitz24 wrote:
Thank you for all the input! We will come prepared and monitor the weather. Fingers crossed December 30th is a decent day.

The perfect date would be April 25th. Because it's not too hot, not too cold, all you need is a light jacket.
Quote Reply
Re: MT Lemmon in December [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
If you mistime your day, then riding down from the top around sunset is a very bad, (dangerously cold) but beautiful, experience wearing nothing but short-sleeved spandex.

......................We just weren't thinking and got lazy with our ride planning. It ended up being a dangerous ride down. Violent-shivering-induced near crashes for both of us.

Ah the yearly right of passage. We all do it, sometimes more than once per year.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: MT Lemmon in December [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
If you mistime your day, then riding down from the top around sunset is a very bad, (dangerously cold) but beautiful, experience wearing nothing but short-sleeved spandex.

......................We just weren't thinking and got lazy with our ride planning. It ended up being a dangerous ride down. Violent-shivering-induced near crashes for both of us.

Ah the yearly right of passage. We all do it, sometimes more than once per year.
I’m glad Michelle and I are not alone. Brutal.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: MT Lemmon in December [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
desert dude wrote:
DrAlexHarrison wrote:

I’m glad Michelle and I are not alone. Brutal.

One time, it was 105 at the bottom and there was snow on the ground at the top.

I was approaching heat exhaustion on the way up
And hypothermia on the way down.

And there wasn't even any strange weather.
Last edited by: Velocibuddha: Nov 28, 23 8:30
Quote Reply