Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Metz and Jeanie Bought Their Own Bikes
Quote | Reply
Jeanie bought a SC and Metz a Canyon. (And the moved to Oro Valley)

Sign of the times or just no performance?
Last edited by: Pwraddr: Jan 6, 24 7:06
Quote Reply
Re: Metz and Jeanie Bought Their Own Bikes [Pwraddr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So when he was sponsored be road a QR and when he paid for a bike he got a Canyon?
Quote Reply
Re: Metz and Jeanie Bought Their Own Bikes [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. QR was his sponsor. No longer. He bought a canyon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you not get to keep your bikes as a pro?

Why not continue to ride the QR eventhough they dont pay i stead of using a shit ton on nrw bike?
Quote Reply
Re: Metz and Jeanie Bought Their Own Bikes [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably paid way less than you think.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might get to keep your bike; you might be asked to sell it and keep the profits; you might have to return the bike. Depends on the contract.

In general, though, once you become a free agent you usually will pick your own equipment with a brand that you might hope to eventually turn into some type of a contract. Not entirely dissimilar to what happens with golf equipment free agents.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pwraddr wrote:
Jeanie bought a SC and Metz a Canyon. (And the moved to Oro Valley)

Sign of the times or just no performance?

He said he's there for a month then Phoenix for a month.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe their QR's are for sale here https://www.ebay.com/...429486.m3561.l161211
Quote Reply
Re: Metz and Jeanie Bought Their Own Bikes [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Bryan, yes oro for a month then phoenix. I missed the month in phoenix. They said they sold everything and moving for a new start.

I took that as phoenix.

Did you?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pwraddr wrote:
Hey Bryan, yes oro for a month then phoenix. I missed the month in phoenix. They said they sold everything and moving for a new start.

I took that as phoenix.

Did you?

Unclear, although if he comes here to Scottsdale he can keep Ben Kanute company. I don't know why Lionel and Sam and Trevor hang around Tucson besides the fact that it's less expensive to live there. The East Valley is way better for a variety of training than the Oro Valley. Scottsdale might be expensive but Mesa isn't.

Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Last edited by: Bryancd: Jan 6, 24 14:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lassekk wrote:
Do you not get to keep your bikes as a pro?

Why not continue to ride the QR eventhough they dont pay i stead of using a shit ton on nrw bike?

If QR drops him and he keeps riding a QR he's giving the brand that dropped him a free ride.

So he tries to show some support for someone else hoping for a future deal (reciprocity works) while likely picking the bike he likes better anyway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lassekk wrote:

He probably believes the QR is holding him back from a performance perspective. Not as aero, doesn’t fit him being as big as he is, etc. He kinda eluded to it in his video.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Metz and Jeanie Bought Their Own Bikes [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uhm, I think wayyyyy more likely it’s he got dropped and no way will he continue to promote a company that dropped him.

And now the narrative is that fits better, bike is faster, etc etc. (although appears he didn’t test, but he acts like an AGer because the fast pros ride canyon he needs a canyon). Although I “heard” a P5 is supposedly fast, but since they aren’t sponsoring every other pro like canyon and trek, it must be slow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You'd think he and his coach would heavily research the optimal geometry and test ride any choices before self-investing but nah..... prob just looked at Lionel and thought "I must copy him"

David T-D
http://www.tilburydavis.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Getting dropped is definitely part of it. It’s always a tough pill to swallow regardless of who you are. But that doesn’t mean those other things aren’t influencing his decision. Him swapping to another bike (on his own dime) tells me that he didn’t 100% believe in the QR. Look at TO, he got dropped by Trek but still continued to ride a trek.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Metz and Jeanie Bought Their Own Bikes [tilburydavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tilburydavis wrote:
You'd think he and his coach would heavily research the optimal geometry and test ride any choices before self-investing but nah..... prob just looked at Lionel and thought "I must copy him"

I know, right

LMAO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was hoping you would chime in, this is the type of stuff he should mention in his videos, instead of look at my shiny new bike.

“Since we are away from QR my coach and I spent a lot of time reviewing all bikes and we narrowed it down and I rode a few and felt the canyon was best suited. We followed the same process for Jeanie and she is on the SC, that’s why we are riding different bikes”

That shows it wasn’t the new shiny object. And side note, I didn’t mention Lionel. :)

Now, I’m really hopeful you can get Metz on track, I think if he can keep his head straight he can do much better than he has. Wishing him and you all the best!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pwraddr wrote:
Now, I’m really hopeful you can get Metz on track, I think if he can keep his head straight he can do much better than he has. Wishing him and you all the best!

Thanks, that is the plan :)

David T-D
http://www.tilburydavis.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One last thing, can you clarify where home will be for them?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
Pwraddr wrote:

I took that as phoenix.

Did you?

Unclear, although if he comes here to Scottsdale he can keep Ben Kanute company. I don't know why Lionel and Sam and Trevor hang around Tucson besides the fact that it's less expensive to live there. The East Valley is way better for a variety of training than the Oro Valley. Scottsdale might be expensive but Mesa isn't.

I'm not sure I agree with that assessment having lived in the East Valley. When you look at Sam's Strava I'd say it's easier to train down there than it is here. Tucson is a much smaller metro to navigate so less traffic.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Metz and Jeanie Bought Their Own Bikes [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Bryancd wrote:
Pwraddr wrote:

I took that as phoenix.

Did you?

I'm not sure I agree with that assessment having lived in the East Valley. When you look at Sam's Strava I'd say it's easier to train down there than it is here. Tucson is a much smaller metro to navigate so less traffic.

Road surfaces are terrible, few bike lanes, lot's of traffic. East Valley has far better roads, safer roads, places like the BeeLine/Bush Highway, rides out to Tortilla Flats (although that road is narrow), everything in north Scottsdale/Fountain Hills, rides to Bartlett Lake, Carefree, Dove Parkway, I mean it's not even close. I've lived in Fountain Hills and Scottsdale for 20 years of training.

Team ZOOT
Last edited by: Bryancd: Jan 7, 24 13:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do our roads really have less traffic? They also have the loop system, and when they train there's plenty of real estate to go fast.

Train on the beeline all the time, plenty of traffic there. The Shoulder is fine, but it's not great. Trained in Scottsdale too, I know Tri Scottsdale does the group rides up there. But our drivers on Saturdays suck in the key areas for riding like Thompson Peak Pkwy.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
Bryancd wrote:
Pwraddr wrote:

I took that as phoenix.

Did you?

Road surfaces are terrible, few bike lanes, lot's of traffic. East Valley has far better roads, safer roads, places like the BeeLine/Bush Highway, rides out to Tortilla Flats (although that road is narrow), everything in north Scottsdale/Fountain Hills, rides to Bartlett Lake, Carefree, Dove Parkway, I mean it's not even close. I've lived in Fountain Hills and Scottsdale for 20 years of training.

I would prefer to live in Scottsdale, but the training environment in Tucson for a professional triathlete is superior. It's not even close. Activation energy is generally lower, it's far less expensive and fewer profamateur age groupers up in your shit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:

roads are getting paved all over the area, tons of bike lanes, you can ride 60-100 miles with intervals and do 90+% of that either car free or in a bike lane.
You may have Bartlettt, Carefree, Dove but we have Gates Pass, Mt. Lemmon, Kitt Peak, Saguaro East and West, Ajo (= to the beeline), The Loop, Oro Valley, Marana and out towards Biosphere.

Not as hot in the summer but still effing hot and colder in the winter.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Metz and Jeanie Bought Their Own Bikes [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ajo is vastly superior to the Beeline. It’s not even close.

I do think running options are about even, but mountain biking is better in Scottsdale area.
Quote Reply

Prev Next