Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: No Alcohol January 2024 [travelgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Looks like that's ios only. But, I found a similar style app for Android called alcogram. Just collects basic stats without all the gamefication that is common in many behavior modification apps.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2024 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is year 6 for me of Dry January. Like others have said, it gets easier and easier every year. It is really to the point where I don't even have to think about it anymore.

My decision in 2019 to do this was a great one. Not because I drank all that much, but because it just made me realize how easy it was to not drink. Throughout the rest of the year, my drinking greatly reduced to only be times when I decided that I really wanted to have one. And even that feeling became less and less. Now, I'm happy having a few beers at the pool or beach during the summer, but its not a day long binge. The Athletic Brewing beers are a constant in my cooler when I know there will be drinking.

Good luck to everyone. You can do it and will be happy that you did.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2024 [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Since I have a 2024 goal of 300 days of no drinking.... What's the app? I hadn't decided how to tally the drinking days (spreadsheet, google calendar, etc)... So, an app sounds awesome.

What's wrong with just putting a Dollar Store calendar on the refrigerator?

Not EVERYTHING needs to be an app LOL

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2024 [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go shake your fist at some clouds! I actually prefer paper calendars, but with traveling and not always being at home an app is pretty useful. Itā€™s easier to select drink, how many ounces and alcohol content (if Iā€™m out at a bar or restaurant and Iā€™m not sure of the alcohol content I tend to err on a slightly higher side. Iā€™m finding a lot of wines nowadays are around 14.5 to 15.5, for reds which I mostly drink)
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2024 [travelgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I see your point - if you're keeping that many data points/sets, an app IS the way to go

Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2024 [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have done this on my own with varying levels of success ( some years it was 'damp', not completely dry ).

In for this year for the additional accountability here.

Since I've started really watching my HRV details over the past 2 years, I can objectively see the difference in sleep quality and recovery status.

--
I ride Felt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You hush! šŸ˜

I'm a software engineer by trade (well, I was before I got old... Now I just tell stories about the olden days to the young whipper-snappers). When coding was hard.

So, I'm all-in on apps. I've always been terrible with paper calendars.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2024 [triguy98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy98 wrote:
Day 1 sucked. Not because of no booze, but the colonoscopy prep. So much fluids in and out. Should make most days after this a breeze.

Oh boy. I'm doing my first one in 2 weeks and while not sure about no booze all of January (did it two years ago and enjoyed it) I was gonna hold the line until after that as a mini goal. My personal life also imploded in the most comedic and heartbreaking way over the holidays so I'm a little wary of medicating myself through the fallout of that with alcohol and it reinforces the need for a break.

Whatever your reasons, best of luck to you all in getting what you need out of this!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm getting pretty tired of bailing my morning workouts after a night of drinking which has been happening at least once every couple of weeks lately. Hopefully this will break that trend. I didn't start drinking until my late 40's, so my relationship with alcohol has kinda been flip-flopped to what most people are accustomed to. Aside from my wife's birthday this month, I don't think there will be any other caveats so I'm hoping it's smooth sailing. We are actually having a "speakeasy" built into part of our house (to keep the alcohol stash out of the kitchen). It'll be a several-month process so I'm toying with the idea of staying dry until it's finished.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Since I have a 2024 goal of 300 days of no drinking.... What's the app? I hadn't decided how to tally the drinking days (spreadsheet, google calendar, etc)... So, an app sounds awesome.

I use one called Try Dry created by the charity Alcohol Change UK. It works on my Android and does a happy little animated confetti thing when you mark yourself as having stayed "dry" for the day. It's not as sophisticated as other apps, but it does check in on things like mood and cravings, as well as streaks, days sober in a month, reminders, etc. I like it and have been using it all year.

Although, as someone mentioned downthread, I also love me an old school analog calendar marked up with gold stars. YMMV.

[what Yoda said about trying]
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2024 [TulkasTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TulkasTri wrote:
trail wrote:
TulkasTri wrote:

For me my addiction is social media, and last night I uninstalled the IG app on my phone, and the goal for the year is to not come back to it.

Yeah, last year I uninstalled the Facebook app. I'd have liked to have just nuked my account entirely, but I just can't since I have family and friends who post meaningful stuff at times. So I'll check in once a week on the desktop version.

I use the FB Messenger app to talk to my mother and my siblings, we live in different countries (and continents), but I hardly use the FB app; I think I was using mostly for the TT group there.

It's IG that consumes my time and energy, and this year I want to dedicate more time to reading and just being a better person.

So I'll join you guys in this effort.

Last year I chained my Dry January to also swearing off Insta and other social/news websites -- basically, anything that kept me on my phone and scrolling. Interestingly, I made it longer at "no Instagram" than I did "no alcohol" -- I think I got to mid-May before I caved and reopened the app. And now I have to do it again because it's just too easy to open IG and fall down a rabbit hole of bikes I'll never be able to afford or races I won't do or beautiful places I'll never live. So, I'm back to square one with Insta and will join you all in steering clear of social media for the foreseeable future!

Also, everyone is different but I have to say: I quit Facebook is a blaze of glory 2.5 years ago and it was like an instant reset for my mental health. Like, what people say about sobriety is how I felt finally giving FB the boot. And yes, I know I am a complete hypocrite because I still have Instagram...but my IG follows are all mostly strangers (artists, athletes, photographers, etc.) while -- for better or worse -- my FB was people I actually knew (family, friends) and the platform was making me actively dislike. All that said, IG is now starting to give me the same heebeegeebees that FB did just before I left, so I appreciate the group effort here to curtail both booze and social media.

[what Yoda said about trying]
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2024 [Bastet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bastet wrote:
And yes, I know I am a complete hypocrite because I still have Instagram...but my IG follows are all mostly strangers (artists, athletes, photographers, etc.)

In 2024, I hope to increase my IG presence, as I plan to post a lot more artwork than I did in 2023, which was sort of a struggle

https://www.instagram.com/randmart37

Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2024 [TheRhino] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another dark and quiet corner held for you so we can commiserate on life.

Happy to have you here!

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Day two is done! Woohoo!

A boring day here for the most part. I had a triumphant return to the gym and Iā€™m going to be sore tomorrow, in the best way possible. Happy to tuck in for another good night of sleep with how many meetings I have tomorrow.

Onward!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last year I tried One Year No Beer that helps you giving advice, and celebrate sorbriety on a daily basis with little notifications and reminders to drink water, eat health and be proud.

It didnĀ“t really work for me, as I felt it was more focused on a bit more hardcore drinkers. But its a well made and working app. I think you get the first 5 trial days for free.

Also read the book Mindful Drinking, which gives good advice on how to maintain a healthy relationship on a daily basis with alcohol.
Took away a handful of good pointers from that:

Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2024 [Mulen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Day 3! Remember, if you want to go alcohol free for the month, that is your own business. Donā€™t let anyone else interfere. Youā€™ve got this!

Move on. Keep training. Be an adult.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Made it thru my daughterā€™s birthday and drank water while everyone else was drinking wine and martiniā€™s. No temptation at all. Slept great last night as well.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2024 [Juanmoretime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Juanmoretime wrote:
Made it thru my daughterā€™s birthday and drank water while everyone else was drinking wine and martiniā€™s. No temptation at all. Slept great last night as well.

Nice work!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Day 2, all clear.

Going to Hockey Game tonight. $18 beer...is an easy "no thanks".
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2024 [Juanmoretime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Juanmoretime wrote:

Great job, everyone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr_Cupcake wrote:
trail wrote:
triguy98 wrote:
Did a full panel, so should be good. Get my first colonoscopy, though! Yay!

Then you get the good stuff for your scope that gives you the best nap of the DECADE. And your GI surgeon gets to pat you on the hand and tell you that you're "boring", while the anesthetist has a look of panic on their face that your HR dropped to slightly below your known (to you, not them) resting rate (which for me was down in the 30s the last time, oops haha).

ha just had my second colonoscopy, can't believe I'm so old I've had two of them..
first one they gave me fentanyl, it was glorious, best nap ever as you say, and felt great for a whole day afterward. I was looking forward to my second colonoscopy to get another dose - but got something else this time, good nap but not nearly as much fun as fentanyl.. the anesthesiologist came to talk to me beforehand so I was able to warn him about the HR.. he thanked me for working out and staying healthy, said it makes his job so much easier.

these days I may open a bottle of wine on Friday night, a glass then and another on Saturday. That's it until the next weekend, an open bottle lasts for weeks..
I find it easier to stick to a dry work week year round, than a dry month followed by drinking the rest of the year. I need the daily discipline.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
In 2024, I hope to increase my IG presence, as I plan to post a lot more artwork than I did in 2023, which was sort of a struggle

https://www.instagram.com/randmart37

That's a good use of IG. Quality content creation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Day 3 chip here. :)

Not too hard yet, biggest challenge will likely be next week on work trip with a few customer dinners planned, but have a strategy for that, as I've done Dry January in past years and when I tell my team I'm doing that again, they have all been supportive and encouraging ( vs. trying to twist my arm into having a drink ).

--
I ride Felt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My stress levels have decreased since last drinking 12 drinks on Sunday. Iā€™m feeling pretty good today and havenā€™t been tempted to drink yet. Life is good. :)

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Day 2, all clear.

Going to Hockey Game tonight. $18 beer...is an easy "no thanks".

Whenever we go to a game, I allocate beer money for merch instead

Might be 2x $ but lasts so much longer

Quote Reply

Prev Next