Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
No longer following the pied piper that is Ironman.
Quote | Reply
Who else has had it with Ironman events being the only worthy venue for serious triathletes in the USA? Who else thinks Ironman racing robs too many young athletes (myself included) of the ability to race fast, be healthy and financially stable.

Last April my wife and I registered for IM AZ but we are no longer doing it. This isn’t the first time. We’ve done this twice before! Why? Why did we follow the pied-piper that is Ironman?

Ironman lacks spontaneity because you have to register a year in advance. It lacks openness because you have to be (frankly) rich to get in to the race (with all the equipment, race fees, travel).... most importantly Ironman lacks the fundamental principles of racing. How many times have you been told you can't race in an Ironman bike or first half of the marathon. When somebody passes you it is cause for ignoring them, you have to dull your instincts and say... it is not a race.

After the Ironman race I always question if what I did was healthy. Did I breakdown cartilage in my knees (they always feel like sand is in the joints the day after).... did I waste too much time or money... was it worth it? Perhaps there is a legitimate reason to be depressed after an Ironman event.

In my mind Ironman is a once in awhile type of activity. Too many people come to the sport to cross the IM finish line and then never return. I wish there was a better short course series.

Who's with me?
Last edited by: NYSLIM: Dec 29, 06 7:39
Quote Reply
Re: No longer following the pied piper that is Ironman. [NYSLIM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't heed the clarion call of Ironman. The problem for me is that I've had knee, hip and back trouble and there's always a fair chance that I'll DNF on any given day. To put a year's worth of planning and training into a race where I might not even toe the starting line is just not gonna happen. Since my knee surgery, the possibility is increasing, but I don't dare focus my season on it. AZ, FL or Silverman (I could give a flying f#$% for the IM®, the people running IMNA have no real right to control the name. Ironman is a distance, not a corporation (one other reason I'm reticent to pony up the bucks...)

I also like the idea of doing 8-12 races a year, and with even one IM in your schedule, that's not gonna happen. I'd rather do five sprints, four Olys and three halves then one of two IMs. At my age "I'll get 'em next year..." rings more hollow every time I say it!

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Quote Reply
Re: No longer following the pied piper that is Ironman. [NYSLIM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not following any pied piper, but I loved every minute of training for IMLP last year and had a fabulous day on July 23. The volunteers and spectators were awesome and LP is a beautiful venue. I have nothing but good memories of IMLP and am a happier and more confident person for the experience. My family also loved the five days in LP.

I'll be back.
Quote Reply
Re: No longer following the pied piper that is Ironman. [Cousin Elwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've run a 4:31 mile on Ironman training. I wish I had the guts then to change my mind and see if I could have gotten specific with my efforts to see if a something special like sub 4:20 was possible.
Here's to being fast and healhty!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who's with me?

I stopped racing IM's a few years ago for many of the reasons you stated. I had to pull out of a race due to a death in the family and could not get my money back (it was within a few weeks of the race). I was tired of the over-crowded races, the increasing fees and the regimented life-style that training/racing/training/racing represented.

I now jog/swim/bike when I want to and mix those with other activities and interests.

I will never do another IM and am completely satisfied with that.

You sir, are my new hero! - Trifan 11/13/2008

Casey, you are a wise man - blueraider_mike 11/13/2008

Casey, This is an astute observation. - Slowbern 11/17/2008
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i don't understand the need to put down the venue. many people love it. the only person faulted for your signing up and bailing is you...not the event.

as for registering a year in advance, that's how it is. as for the fee--it's a huge event, i kind of understand the big race fee. as for training, IMO, if someone enjoys riding their bike for hours on end, running long, etc, then it could be a great event for them. as for the money, yes, it's an expensive proposition.
and yes, for that reason plus other reasons, ironman is not for everyone. but a 140.6 mile event shouldn't be for everyone to begin with. just like climbing Mt Everst isn't for everyone, neither is ironman.

but if it is for someone and they complain about the company that puts the events on, remember there are off brand iron distances. there are adventure events, long cycling challenges, all sorts of events if a person just looks for them.

it seems healthier to just say, "this isn't for me, so i'm out" rather then get all negative about it. many people enjoy it, but it's not for you, and that's that. it's not that big of a deal IMO.
Last edited by: kittycat: Dec 28, 06 7:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you fed up with "Ironman" and not racing Arizona as a protest?

Or are you and your wife just not ready to do the race and were hoping that by signing up last April you'd be motivated to train and it just hasn't happened?

I agree that these races are screwy (especially making us sign up a year in advance) but that's the way it is. I just don't see your reasoning for not going to IMAZ....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's OK. You can drop out. You don't need to justify it with others. If it's not important to you then it's not important but it sounds like it may be very important to you. Sit back and get things straight in your head. If you decide to do it again then commit 100%.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IM events can be a bugger from a monetary and logistical standpoint. However, I've loved the few years that I've been training and racing IMs and wouldn't trade them for anything. And when I get done with an IM I do feel like I was actually 'racing.'
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is a frustrating quandary, Ironman gets all the attention, you say you did a triathlon and people ask you "Oh, you did an Ironman?". I haven’t done an IM branded event, but I did do the Ultramax Ironman Distance event back in 04’. Some day I’ll do an IM brand race, but only when I know I have a good chance at qualifying for Kona. Yes, I’ll succumb to the pied piper eventually…
I do question the lemming quality of so many triathletes who blithely toss money into the wind doing multiple IM races, passing up the opportunity to race shorter distances, closer races, cheaper entry fees. But that’s only my view, I guess there are some people who actually enjoy the distance, more power to them. I wish I had the money that some of them do, but, even if I had the money I would probably still concentrate on shorter faster events. I would just get things like an altitude tent, zipp wheels, etc to go even faster. Once I can run a 2:40 marathon and average 23+ mph for 112 miles, then I’ll do another IM…

Tony
http://www.triathleteguru.com
Quote Reply
Re: No longer following the pied piper that is Ironman. [bmas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not saying it is wrong for you to do Ironman. I'm just saying that sometimes things have to be questioned. I've done several Ironmans (including LP and Kona) but can I ask you what you think the toll was on your family? Do you think they would have had just as good of a time if you had done an Olympic distance race (say at Disney or something).

You say you'll be back but do you really think Ironman is a good thing for your long-term athletic development and your health (physical and emotinal)?

I'm just asking. More power to you if it is for you. I'm just realizing that Ironman is no longer for me. I think all the good things (healthy lifestyle, hard training and good races) can be had with a two hour race. 8-17 hours is too much. $425 is too much. 20-30 hours a week is too much.

Don't take this the wrong way... (you guys are going to kill me for saying this) but I don't want to be a middle aged guy who never found out how fast I could go... somebody who ignores the kids because the "training program calls for it". I'm not saying you do this but I have seen this and it is ugly.

I'm getting side-tracked. I congratulate you on your Ironman LP finish and hope you will continue if it is for you but if you ever get to the point where you question it... I hope you will have the courage to pursue other triathlon activities with the same vigor that you pursued Ironman. I hope you won't drop away from the sport thinking that you have "done it all" because brother I'm hear to say that there is more than Ironman when it comes to triathlon and it is just a pitty that some folks (not saying you) don't realize that.
Quote Reply
Re: No longer following the pied piper that is Ironman. [Martin C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is this a hilly double century? Just curious as I've done a few doubles and none of them were even close to the difficulty of an IM (I certainly understand that the difficult of an event is highly individual).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
   I'm with you, kind of. I'm signed up for IMKY just because I've never done and IM. Probably though, it will be be just another race that I show up for and complete, probably in around the common12hr mark. There's just too many interesting and inexpensive events along the way, and too much that can ruin one day to do the whole focus for several months thing for me. The other issue you point out is one that I've always considered, it is that anyone can put in the hours to complete a long race. OTOH not just anyone can run 4:31 along the way. Your performance at any race is a combo of talent and training, but the long events tilt it massively toward the training element.
ps. this ought to get people going.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually love the Ironman events. My family and I schedule vacations around the various venues. We did LP last year and loved every stinkin minute.

We plan on Switzerland and Louisville this year.

With that said....I do feel that the Ironman event's aren't for everyone....it takes a lot of $ and time commitment to make them enjoyable....and it all starts on days like today when you need to put in the 1.5 hour bike and 1 hour swim (while your family is not w/you). Big sacrfice for time and $$.

On the flip side for younger athletes....try camping out (very inexpensive and will be a memory that will last a lifetime). Got to non-iron sanctioned events (TTT comes to mind)....great race and again...camp out.

http://cmkracing.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: No longer following the pied piper that is Ironman. [Martin C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, 20k feet is plenty hilly!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You've got some good points there. I'm skipping IM for 2007 for many of the reasons you mentioned, mainly to concentrate on family (daughter getting married). I'll be trying shorter distances in 07, a couple of Oly's and Half's (Timberman and Ottawa).

But I'm already planning for IMLP in 08.

I'm convinced IM is a good thing for my health (physical and emotional). Since getting off the couch 6 years ago I'm continually being told how much better I look. Diet has improved drastically. And I'm happier. Not sure about long-term athletic development though, at age 54 I don't give that much thought. :>)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No doubt there is subtle pressure to always strive for the long course....the public equates triathlon with Ironman.....the sport itself focuses on it.....I am not a big fan of Ironman distance, it is a survival test, not a sport (just seeing Peter Reid in "What It Takes' convinced me there is something borderline psychotic about hese guys).....just like the marathon, IM is an assault on the body....fitness, yes, health, not really....I find the training volume for IM mind numbing.....I have done half IM races and I am debating whether I even want to keep doing those.....I like Olympic distance the best....full throttle the whole way, still a pretty good test of strength and endurance and you don't have to worry as much about feeding and hydrating...and it doesn't take all day either....you can have a life...

----------------------------------------
I ride a Cervelo...get over it....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I decided a long time ago to leave the IM distance to (1) pros (2) extremely fit age group triathletes and (3) fat guys that feel they have something to prove.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slim,
If you plan to bail out of the race ... just do it ... don't try to justify it by some noble higher purpose! No one really cares ... but to try to make it IMNAs fault is rather strange. If higher purpose was the issue, I suspect you shouldn't have signed up last year???
Many of us like to do IMNA (NAS) races which are always high quality events .. that doesn't mean we don't do lots of shorty's as well. Best of luck to you in your choices ... but they are YOUR choices.
Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amen! I've stopped going that distance for most of the same reasons. I got so tired of the too-many-eggs-in-one-basket thing that I finally decided enough is enough. And while I LOVED the training, I really didn't like the races (even Kona----I know, sacrilege!). After a couple of years of just racing mountain bikes, I've decided to come back to the Olympic distance that I always enjoyed.

So go off and have some fun. Do a couple of cyclocross or MTB races. Instead of signing up for an IM race, volunteer for it. The 2 best ways to spend a day at an IM race (other than in the lead) are as a catcher at the finish and a drafting marshal---I know, it's off topic, but the majority of your fellow competitors actually DO follow the rules really well and it's enjoyable to witness that. And best of all, you can be that crazy SOB that all of the competitors see running a 10 miler at a 6 minute pace the day before the race!

--------------------------------------------
http://www.coastalhealthandfitness.com
Quote Reply
Re: No longer following the pied piper that is Ironman. [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i don't understand the need to put down the venue. many people love it.[quote]

I do not think it is a put down
are the races to big ?
can you get your money back if you can't race ?
is it hard not to draft with all the folks on the course ?
I don't think a long course develops ones speed
lots of folks race only once and leave the sport
The price is a little high and the profit does not go to charity.
it takes a lot of time training
their are other races to try
Is an iron distance realy good for your health ?
Do iron distance racers live longer then sprint racers ?

it is a freeking company and they make lots and lots of money putting on the race. they are just like Ford or GM .

Dirt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love racing IM's and the fees are actually low in comparison to what you get at the event.

However, IM has become an over-exposed marketed brand. Everyone that "does" triathlons wants to do an IM. Ten or fifteen years ago, IM's were the bastion of the hard core triathlete. Today, any first year fat slob can register and complete an IM's. Have you seen the shape most IM triathletes are in? So whatever was "special" or unique about IM is long LONG gone. There are people who train for a few months, do an IM, and then run out and get tattoos so they call tell the world they are special. And why? Because they can. All it takes is a credit card and registering before the race closes to do an IM. And when you get there, you have 17 hours to complete the race. SEVENTEEN hours to complete it. Honestly, old men and an old nun can walk that event in under 17 hours. So basically, with the right pace and a basic nutrion program, anyone can finish an IM.

If you are going to do an IM, then you have to do it for yourself.

I myself are taking a year ot two off of IM. And IF or when I come back I am only going to race non IMNA races. There are so many better venues out there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"You can do a double-century in Expensive NorCal"
- - Absofreakinglutely.

For 50 bucks.
- - and you can sign up on race... er, uh ride day

And it's harder.
- - That depends. Devil Mountain, definitely. Davis, a stroll in the park... well OK, an all-day stroll!!
It also depends on your strengths and weaknesses. The running is my downfall, or has been for the last fifteen years. So I'd rather bike an extra 88 than run 26.

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Quote Reply

Prev Next