Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Not a good look for your running resume
Quote | Reply
So how bad is it going to be as an editor of a huge running magazine, and Derek catching you with the goods??

https://marathonhandbook.com/...J3o8f8LsKlNXfBjegTVc
Quote Reply
Re: Not a good look for your running resume [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah was reading about her on Reddit. She had all that time to think of an excuse and that was the best she could come up with. And her husband is a sports journo for a big UK paper. There are a few question marks over other races too. Not her first rodeo clearly....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't forget that Runner's World basically said that it was OK to bandit a race, as long as you're not an asshole about it

https://www.runnersworld.com/...ut-being-an-asshole/

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Not a good look for your running resume [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Don't forget that Runner's World basically said that it was OK to bandit a race, as long as you're not an asshole about it

What a bizarre thing for them to write. "But the fact remains that every year, thousands of otherwise-respectable runners turn to banditry."

No they fucking don't! Respectable runners either pay the race entry or if they can't afford it, do a cheaper race.
Quote Reply
Re: Not a good look for your running resume [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fool me once….

I need to stop trying to get my head around WHY… seriously.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bandit sticker/magnet! I should set up an Etsy shop for these?

Quote Reply
Re: Not a good look for your running resume [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I pissed myself" is not the excuse she thinks it is, but if telling everyone you can't control your piss is better than admitting to the lie...welp.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not hating on anyone, but isn't Runner's World basically a leisure running magazine? And if so, wouldn't it almost be a mark of authenticity if their editor had to DNF, walk, or otherwise severely slow down in a marathon?

The articles practically write themselves. "I didn't finish my goal race, why that's okay", "Lessons I learned from dropping out of a marathon", "Views from a mile 20 marathon walker".
--
Of course the big issue with this is "how you do anything is how you do everything". Cheating in tough competitive situations isn't a good indicator of how someone will handle tough situations elsewhere in life. Although (not to crap too hard on capitalism) that may be exactly the quality that got her to the top in the first place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To cheat a race as an unknown every day citizen is bad enough, but to possibly cheat at multiple races, as the editor of a very well known Running Magazine, is brazen but outlandishly stupid.
Quote Reply
Re: Not a good look for your running resume [EyeRunMD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EyeRunMD wrote:
To cheat a race as an unknown every day citizen is bad enough, but to possibly cheat at multiple races, as the editor of a very well known Running Magazine, is brazen but outlandishly stupid.
And then share that stuff 'on the record'!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:

Runners is double letter word. Just sayin'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is the direct link to the MI story itself:

https://www.marathoninvestigation.com/...ditorr-scrutiny.html

Be interesting to see the final faked/not faked count of her running resume. . . .
Quote Reply
Re: Not a good look for your running resume [elf6c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love this site. He does good work digging up the info on the cheating world.

LetsRun has also jumped into it as well
Quote Reply
Re: Not a good look for your running resume [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
but isn't Runner's World basically a leisure running magazine?

No idea how you came to this conclusion. Google their content online and you can get an idea in like 5 seconds.
Quote Reply
Re: Not a good look for your running resume [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Engner66 wrote:

No idea how you came to this conclusion. Google their content online and you can get an idea in like 5 seconds.

Scrolling past the Olympic trials coverage which is a once in 4y event that every single running publication will cover we get these:

Tight hamstrings? Here's how to treat them
Best core exercises and equipment
How to know if you're a quad dominant runner
How to prevent running injuries
How to choose the best marathon training plan
The one and only running plan for beginners
Why slow running is so good for you

The point I'm making is that this isn't the kind of publication where your opinion only counts if your a 2:20 marathon runner. Articles like these don't require an editor with World Championship experience.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
EyeRunMD wrote:
To cheat a race as an unknown every day citizen is bad enough, but to possibly cheat at multiple races,
as the editor of a very well known Running Magazine, is brazen but outlandishly stupid.

correct me if iam wrong , but she was not really in the race as she had no official time. she run out off competiton.
ie she is more in line with the 100000 s of people that change their weight on zwift every day.
Quote Reply
Re: Not a good look for your running resume [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mathematics wrote:
Engner66 wrote:

Scrolling past the Olympic trials coverage which is a once in 4y event that every single running publication will cover we get these:

Tight hamstrings? Here's how to treat them
Best core exercises and equipment
How to know if you're a quad dominant runner
How to prevent running injuries
How to choose the best marathon training plan
The one and only running plan for beginners
Why slow running is so good for you

The point I'm making is that this isn't the kind of publication where your opinion only counts if your a 2:20 marathon runner. Articles like these don't require an editor with World Championship experience.

Listicles, advertorials and affiliate links. This is what you get in modern "free" online media.
Quote Reply
Re: Not a good look for your running resume [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/...-row-marathon-times/

Article here too. So first she lied and said no watch. Then got caught up in photos with watch and came with even worse excuses. And they are so bad it is insane.

Why not just say "bla bla pressure bad decisions".
And to.cheat to run 1:31 half wauw
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:

Reminds me of my very first job ever in the 80's as the Bandit Police for a race promoter. I was paid to camp out at the first mile, identify bandits, and then call them out loudly in front of everyone, asking them to leave. Usually they did.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
correct me if iam wrong , but she was not really in the race as she had no official time.//

Yes, you are wrong. This isn't about one race, now that they know her predilection for cutting courses, they are finding many that are quite suspicious. And the excuses are being proven as lies too now, so your typical course cutter who just doesnt get it when they get caught. Doubling down and just a frenzy of quick excuses that make no sense...And she is in the business and should know better. But I suppose folks just think they wont be the next Finman and they can do whatever they want...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
correct me if iam wrong , but she was not really in the race as she had no official time.//

Yes, you are wrong. This isn't about one race, now that they know her predilection for cutting courses, they are finding many that are quite suspicious. And the excuses are being proven as lies too now, so your typical course cutter who just doesnt get it when they get caught. Doubling down and just a frenzy of quick excuses that make no sense...And she is in the business and should know better. But I suppose folks just think they wont be the next Finman and they can do whatever they want...

Agree 100%. It is surreal to have someone in this position in the running community promoting cheating.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

well but this case you cant cut a course if you have no official time and result. so i guess i could only be wrong if there was a result for the race in question ,and you seem to confirm there was no result.
so in this case its just a social media fabrication investigation not a marathon investigation.
if he has found real cheatings by her at marathons he should focus on that , but a social media investigation seem a bit much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pk wrote:
monty wrote:

well but this case you cant cut a course if you have no official time and result. so i guess i could only be wrong if there was a result for the race in question ,and you seem to confirm there was no result.
so in this case its just a social media fabrication investigation not a marathon investigation.
if he has found real cheatings by her at marathons he should focus on that , but a social media investigation seem a bit much.

An interesting thought. She's certainly not in need of benefits and qualifications, or really any plaudits that come from an "official" finish time. All of the things she stands to gain (or hopes to gain) come entirely from a social media "unofficial" result.

Directly from the article, a snippet on why this matters:

Quote:
Kate is a trusted member of the running media community, and is regularly flown abroad by clothing brands for articles and publicity in her capacity as a journalist. On account of her photograph of Eliud Kipchoge at the start line, it appears she was also a VIP at the 2023 event. This degree of access and privilege in the running community, particularly around an event as coveted as the London Marathon, should come with a high degree of respect and integrity. If these anomalies are what they seem to be, Kate’s behaviour regarding her results is unethical and completely at odds with the tenets of journalism, and with running at every level.
Quote Reply
Re: Not a good look for your running resume [opusTpenguin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
opusTpenguin wrote:
"I pissed myself" is not the excuse she thinks it is, but if telling everyone you can't control your piss is better than admitting to the lie...welp.

I want to know more about this excuse. Like, what did “stepping off the course to sort myself out” involve? Changing into a fresh pair of underwear and shorts she happened to be carrying? Once you’re wet, you’re wet so surely the quickest way to sort it out is to crack on and get to the finish line?
Quote Reply

Prev Next