Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Oceanside Roll down
Quote | Reply
Hey all

Probably early to ask but any insight on how far the 50-54 rolled down today?
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside Roll down [davegibb26.2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave, I got an image sent to me if the slot allocation (looks like there are 45, I thought it was a 40 slot race for NZ worlds). You age group 50-54 has 3 slots and mine 55-59 has 2 slots. In any case I am at home in Canada recovering from a recent flu/plague so no way I could have done a half IM (I barely survived a 40km bike plus 8km run today which felt like a victory....would have been likely walking most of the run if I went, so glad I stayed home), but also interested to know how it rolls down. I don't think they would have even done awards yet and then you have to wait 90 min after that for the rolldown. Having said that, often when it takes till 5 or 6 pm a lot of people have to leave.

I lost a slot last July at Muskoka in the last mile of the run, but that field was "easier" than what I see at Oceanside (or maybe I was actually racing OK....it did not feel like that).
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside Roll down [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I appreciate it. I am racing Chatt and am curious about the take rate as we get closer to New Zealand.

I am not top 3 material but am hoping to have a stronger day and was curious if I need to think about hanging around. I fly to Jamaica in the morning for a vacation for a week lol!
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside Roll down [davegibb26.2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a matter of fact, yes. 8th, 17th and 29th. And I know this as Mr. 29th place at Oceanside 50-54. I'm going to Taupo!!!

Sorry, I don't know much about the lower age groups but things were definitely rolling for any groups with more than one slot available.
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside Roll down [BlueDevilTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BlueDevilTri wrote:
As a matter of fact, yes. 8th, 17th and 29th. And I know this as Mr. 29th place at Oceanside 50-54. I'm going to Taupo!!!

Sorry, I don't know much about the lower age groups but things were definitely rolling for any groups with more than one slot available.

Congrats on the Worlds Slot !!!!

Oh wow....I was hoping for a deep rolldown in 55-59 (had I been there....the plague hit me cold and then a dental surgery, but then I saw only 2 slots and thought....I would have been at least 10-15 slots off even with a perfect race). Last fall it was going to the first few across the line at most races and that's not me, but maybe many of those guys have slots. At least this gives me a bit of motivation to stop the ice cream and chips before St. George and get on the cabbage and water diet LOL
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Apr 6, 24 18:49
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside Roll down [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I heard the numbers and now my brain is starting to turn to mush as it gets later. I want to say it was like 4th and 9th or 5th and 11th, something like that. It definitely wasn't two of the top three or anything, but I remember thinking that if it only fell that far I would probably not get lucky in 50-54. But hung out for a few more minutes and got lucky. After the awards and into the rolldown, there were definitely very few people remaining, maybe 200-250 in the crowd total including additional family. My first time to attend one so I don't know what's normal. And I don't know if everyone assumed they would be taken or if the cost and hassle of New Zealand is what scared everyone, but even for 45-49 the top few didn't take them and they called anyone up to the stage that was still there in the age group. I want to say maybe 8 or 9 in that age group went out to compare finishing spots (not sure which places won out there).

Sorry to hear about your injuries/issues, overall a great day in Oceanside. Water was cold and the swells caused the harbor swim which was crowded but survivable. Bike was awesome - sun came out and wind/breeze was there but not soul crushing. Low 60s for run which was perfect - I should have put on more sunscreen but just about perfect conditions for the run. Never done Oceanside before, but compared to some of the race reports I read this was a pretty awesome day outside of the exception of the swim change.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BlueDevilTri wrote:

Congratulations! Thank you for the information!

Your time is right in the area I am targeting so now I think I may have to hang around depending on speed of field in Chattanooga!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info...I'm in males 45-49 and hope to get a slot at 70.3 Victoria
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside Roll down [trimike77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My guess is the younger the age group, the more the slots roll. The timing of this race is not good if you are early in your career. Dec 14/15 right before Xmas holidays means you are travelling minimally on Dec 7/8 right in busy period before Xmas holidays, just when everyone is in a major crunch, you're blowing off for a tri and then Xmas hits and you're on vacation again. It's literally the worst time if you are junior in your career. For senior people in their careers maybe a bit more flex (or worse). In my age group, a lot of the guys are already retired, so they take their slots no matter where (55-59) and slightly less slots too. Nevertheless I prefer seeing more slots for younger age groups. They are the future of the sport. The guys and girls in my age group, we'll be gone pretty soon anyway and largely on a final lap of racing thru life.
Quote Reply