Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Looking for beta testers for fuel & hydration app "Saturday" [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are an iOS user and you are experiencing any weirdness around trying to subscribe, please let me know.

We're actively working on solving this subscription issue tonight.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for beta testers for fuel & hydration app "Saturday" [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the awesome app Dr Harrison and Michelle! My partner and I have both been using it to train for ironman/ultra distance tri and so far it's been great! We've only just started, but I can see this is going to be a game changer for those 6+hour workouts!

2 features/fixes that I'd like to suggest, if it helps!

1. Swim: I'm not sure what the speed default is set to to calculate the time, but when I enter distance, it way overestimates the amount of time (ex: for 2500m it says 1:20). Right now I just enter whatever distance gives me an hour, but could we have an option to enter time rather than distance, like for cycling or running?
  2. I feel like some sort of reminder to check in after would be useful, as well as additional metrics to track afterwards. Something to enter what you actually did consume vs what was prescribed, maybe a percentage (95% of planned nutrition consumed, showing your totals for water salt and sugar), charting it against the feeling emoji, so we can start to notice patterns (ooh look, the days where I finished my bottles I had more positive emojis, etc.) Maybe this is already in the works, but I would find that very useful!

Our free trial is ending soon and we'll be signing up for sure!
Last edited by: pain_olympics: Mar 7, 23 14:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
If you are an iOS user and you are experiencing any weirdness around trying to subscribe, please let me know.

I was on the Alacrity FUEL build on testflight and the build has been removed. Is there a new signup to be pushed the latest version?
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for beta testers for fuel & hydration app "Saturday" [pain_olympics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pain_olympics wrote:
Thanks for the awesome app Dr Harisson and Michelle! My partner and I have both been using it to train for ironman/ultra distance tri and so far it's been great!
  1. Swim: I'm not sure what the speed default is set to to calculate the time, but when I enter distance, it way overestimates the amount of time (ex: for 2500m it says 1:20). Right now I just enter whatever distance gives me an hour, but could we have an option to enter time rather than distance, like for cycling or running?

Your wish is my command.
pain_olympics wrote:
  1. I feel like some sort of reminder to check in after would be useful, as well as additional metrics to track afterwards. Something to enter what you actually did consume vs what was prescribed, maybe a percentage (95% of planned nutrition consumed, showing your totals for water salt and sugar), charting it against the feeling emoji, so we can start to notice patterns (ooh look, the days where I finished my bottles I had more positive emojis, etc.) Maybe this is already in the works, but I would find that very useful!
Our free trial is ending soon and we'll be signing up for sure!
Your wish is my command, again!

Yep both of these are in the works. I so appreciate your patience while we work on it. Please keep the ideas coming.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for beta testers for fuel & hydration app "Saturday" [LOW2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOW2000 wrote:
DrAlexHarrison wrote:

I was on the Alacrity FUEL build on testflight and the build has been removed. Is there a new signup to be pushed the latest version?

Thank you for speaking up, here. I think there are more folks in your position.

"Saturday" is the new app name. Download it below.

Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration is the full app name but most people (us too!) just call it Saturday. Saturday Morning LLC replaced Alacrity Endurance LLC. We just found that the other business and app names we were using were too hard to really "get behind" and certainly too hard to design and brand together. So we though [really] hard about long-term company vision and what our users wanted to experience, and how we wanted to serve them. Saturday (the app) and Saturday Morning (the company name), pretty much sum it up. Nothing like the opportunity and energy of going long on Saturday, or prepping for a Sunday race on Saturday.

iOS app download page:
https://apps.apple.com/...dration/id6444738746

Android Saturday app download page:
https://play.google.com/...ay.hydration.gx.fuel

(ps. if you were formerly a "FUEL" user or "Alacrity FUEL" beta tester, you will need to download Saturday. We incorporated a bunch more personalization and new features and we think you'll think it's worth it once you see it. I am really sorry for the inconvenience to some of our earliest beta testers and if you feel like that wasn't the best route to go once you get it downloaded, I hope that you'll share that with us. We always want the most frank opinions.)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It'd be great if you highlighted assumptions being made and values that are calculated:
It would also be useful if you had optional inputs for assumptions. Many people know their FTP, Sweat Rate(s), etc. The app could also "learn" with a retro-spective analysis by helping athletes determine sweat rate for their ride.

E.g.
1. App has my weight, rough fitness (although, I don't know what "Advanced" truly means), etc.
2. App asks how long I'm riding
3. App asks ride intensity (sometimes this is hard to judge)
4. App checks the weather

Out of this multiple assumptions occur:
1. Workload
2. Caloric Expenditure
3. Substrate Utilization
4. Sweat Rate
5. Sweat composition

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for beta testers for fuel & hydration app "Saturday" [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fantastic feedback. We are planning retrospective feedback-based analysis and future nutrition output adjustments.

We will definitely incorporate more advanced data usage and analytics in the future. The algorithms are already ready for that. We took a slightly different route than most tech because I think it's somewhat needed in this space. Most sport tech caters to super users first, and sometimes gets stuck never leaving the super user. We wanted to bring solid science to my mother in law (who runs, sometimes. but who does not "do" apps) Our first goal was to make an app that ANYONE could get professional recommendations from.

Our second goal (of course, because Michelle and I have been elite athletes in some form or another) is to allow super users and elite athletes (and everyone in between) to enter loads of specific quantitative details. We'll soon have it just sync it from their various platforms they already use.

I'm glad to hear that you're desires are in line with where we're planning to go. That kind of feedback has been very humbling and gratifying to receive. Of course, please continue to hit us with all the thoughts!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Make the leap from Fuel to Saturday and my account came across with no issues.

For the personal best page, is 100yd swim the only option? The numerical entry field keypad never goes away if there is supposed to be a next button at the bottom of the page. Related, does the performance data change anything or just a nice to have tracking metric?
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for beta testers for fuel & hydration app "Saturday" [LOW2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOW2000 wrote:
Make the leap from Fuel to Saturday and my account came across with no issues.
Hmmm..... we may actually need to troubleshoot here because that should not happen. There is a newer more detailed onboarding that helps us set up your initial user settings better than the old version.

For now the performance-data (if you mean the notes and activity ratings after-the-fact) is a nice-to-have but will probably help modify fueling recommendations in the future, if that's what you mean.

Yep, for now the 100yd swim is the only PR entry and just helps estimate swim workout duration. Soon you'll be able to input either/or (duration or distance and we'll predict duration for you).

LOW2000 wrote:
The numerical entry field keypad never goes away if there is supposed to be a next button at the bottom of the page.
Hmm... go back to your app store on your phone and check for updates. That issue was part of an earlier version. Let me know what version you're on. For more reliable/faster help, and up-to-date info, we can also chat on Saturday Member Hub if you want. It does require another account but login is pretty easy.

Quote Reply
Re: Looking for beta testers for fuel & hydration app "Saturday" [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Holy cow I was thinking kind of along these lines this morning! If we have a prescribed workout, we know what the intensity factor target should be (or what the average power target is), as well as the duration. With these we can calculate the kJ output for the whole ride and maybe even changing conditions along the way to get prompted to eat/drink more or less often. I'm pretty good with the workload part of this calculation but it seems to get messy for the other side (fueling)...the Saturday app is helping me along though.

Rich
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for beta testers for fuel & hydration app "Saturday" [rrutis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrutis wrote:
Holy cow I was thinking kind of along these lines this morning! If we have a prescribed workout, we know what the intensity factor target should be (or what the average power target is), as well as the duration. With these we can calculate the kJ output for the whole ride and maybe even changing conditions along the way to get prompted to eat/drink more or less often. I'm pretty good with the workload part of this calculation but it seems to get messy for the other side (fueling)...the Saturday app is helping me along though.

Rich

I know product development well and I think Alex trying to keep this "simple" is a noble quest!

For some, they'll want real-time updates based on intensity, etc.

But for most, the general recommendation gets them what they need at the level they need it.

I can see product development occurring where more advanced features are accessible by more advanced users, but to be honest, that should be a future development.

(sorry for the tangent, I really like thinking about how to make things).

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
Last edited by: xtrpickels: Mar 8, 23 10:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 I am with you! But I also like that there is refinement possible for future versions and maybe my ramblings will trigger a good idea in someone else
Last edited by: rrutis: Mar 8, 23 11:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just thought I'd add my experiences thus far. I've been using the App since early February for all of my run in excess of an hour (8 - 12 miles generally). These are my harder runs that involve: mile repeats, extended tempo, fartleks, hill repeats, etc. During that time, the weather here in Dallas has ranged from 17F/20%rh to 87F/65%rh.

Saturday allows you to select "fasted" or not-fasted...and alters the fuel/hydration accordingly. I've used it in both situations, across these runs. I always weigh pre/post run and have taken the time to ensure that my pre-weigh starts before consuming any hydration (and in just my skivvies to minimize errors---sorry for any mental images that may induce).

Two observations:

1. Every run has ended between 0.9 - 1.1 lbs below starting weight, regardless of duration, intensity, temperature, or humidity. I have zero issues with consuming the volume, nor any GI issues. Historically, I've been an under-drinker. But, I've finished every run, so far, sucking an dry straw from my vest.

2. I've found that following the fueling recommendations allows me to complete the prescribed workout without the same feeling of "exhaustion". By that I mean I get to the point where I can feel the workload in my legs, and can tell if I keep going I'm going to dig a deep hole before my brain says "I'm done...time to stop". Mostly, because the first few times, I keep going to the same normal "done" mental state, only to be cooked for 3-4 days before I could get back to it. So, I've had to adjust my cues for when to stop, so that I can still do tomorrow's workout and the next day....I need to be able to tell when "one-more" will be too many...rather than feeling like "no more" is just right.

Interesting food for thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for beta testers for fuel & hydration app "Saturday" [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
2. I've found that following the fueling recommendations allows me to complete the prescribed workout without the same feeling of "exhaustion". By that I mean I get to the point where I can feel the workload in my legs, and can tell if I keep going I'm going to dig a deep hole before my brain says "I'm done...time to stop". Mostly, because the first few times, I keep going to the same normal "done" mental state, only to be cooked for 3-4 days before I could get back to it. So, I've had to adjust my cues for when to stop, so that I can still do tomorrow's workout and the next day....I need to be able to tell when "one-more" will be too many...rather than feeling like "no more" is just right.
There's a strong testimonial here somewhere.

"Warning: Saturday may cause euglycemia. Before using Saturday consult with a trained professional to learn new cues to stop training, because your hypoglycmia-induced mental weakness won't be there for you anymore."

"Saturday. Train so hard you injure yourself."

I don't think those are going to fly with our branding & marketing department (wife).

Quote Reply
Re: Looking for beta testers for fuel & hydration app "Saturday" [rrutis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrutis wrote:
I am with you! But I also like that there is refinement possible for future versions and maybe my ramblings will trigger a good idea in someone else
Please keep them coming! It's really good to hear what folks are thinking / wishing for. Or especially what folks are frustrated by. We probably share your pain points and want to hear about them.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:

There's a strong testimonial here somewhere.

"Warning: Saturday may cause euglycemia. Before using Saturday consult with a trained professional to learn new cues to stop training, because your hypoglycmia-induced mental weakness won't be there for you anymore."

"Saturday. Train so hard you injure yourself."

I don't think those are going to fly with our branding & marketing department (wife).

I might put a slightly different spin on it. But, it is specifically branding and marketing's job to take engineering speak, and make it sound enticing---even if by the time they are done with it, its patently false. If (as the product manager) I don't read it and cringe, they aren't trying hard enough.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just a quick update that the latest update should solve any folks subscription issues. The rest of the app has been working great. But it's been blocking us from taking your money, in some cases. And in other cases it's taken your money and then pretended like you weren't subscribed. (not cool!!) If that's you, please reach out and I can fix it immediately with a VIP override I can grant you. This recent update prevents that from ever happening again for new subscribers. (v1.0.44, rolled out today.)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Feature request

For the speed nectar recommendation, it'd be great if you could prescribe by bottle or by oz/ml.

The leap from 4.7L of water and 3.125cups of sugar into how much to pour into a each bottle is tough.

Perhaps it could be
Bottle 1: ask size,
Ask if bottle 2 -> ask size
Etc.

Then sum volume as a check and amounts per bottle.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is coming asap. Hotly requested for sure and has been in the pipeline since inception in 2021. It is now up next on our dev schedule of major features.

Quote Reply
Re: Official thread for the Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration app [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Despite being budget focused, I broke down and bought some maltodextrin to see if I felt different with the gatorade/sugar/sodium citrate concoction.

Now my question: can the maltodextrin be a substitute for sugar in your recipe? I.e, can I swap out the 150 grams of sugar I would otherwise use with 150 grams of maltodextrin (paired with a serving of gatorade powder for taste)? Or do I need to add fructose?

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Official thread for the Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration app [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not Alex, but I think I know this answer from reading his posts =P.

Sugar = 1:1 glucose:fructose.

Maltodextrin is just glucose, so you need to add fructose as well. 75g of each in your example.
Quote Reply
Re: Official thread for the Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration app [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It depends on what ratio of glucose to fructose you want.

Old-school is 2:1. New school is 1:0.8. I use 1:1. Lots of folks are doing it. The scientific literature will soon agree.

Acceptable options according to the literature reviews are: 2:1, 1:0.8. If you really look hard at what's not being said in the literature reviews, 1:1 is being left out of major reviews and meta-analyses.

Sidebar:
My wife is applying to be on some of the committees that help decide what gets published by major journals and nutrition governing bodies, now that she's board certified as a sport dietitian. The literature has been behind the times and she feels pretty strongly about moving it forward. Meanwhile, I play on internet forums. :)

Here's how to get each ratio, from sugar & maltodextrin:
  • Old school: 2:1 glucose:fructose ratio → 1 part maltodextrin to 2 parts sugar. In your case: 50g maltodextrin plus 100g sugar.
  • New school: 1:.8 glucose:fructose ratio → 1 part maltodextrin to 8 parts sugar. In your case: ~17g maltodextrin plus 133g sugar.
  • My school: 1:1 glucose:fructose ratio → Pure sugar. In your case: 150g sugar.

Here's how to get each ratio from fructose & maltodextrin, if that's more your style. Not as cheap. Just as effective.
  • Old school: 2:1 glucose:fructose ratio → 2 parts maltodextrin to 1 part fructose. In your case: 100g maltodextrin plus 50g fructose.
  • New school: 1:.8 glucose:fructose ratio → 5 parts maltodextrin to 4 parts fructose. In your case: ~83g maltodextrin plus 67g fructose.
  • My school: 1:1 glucose:fructose ratio → 1 part maltodextrin to 1 part fructose. In your case: 150g sugar...errr... sorry: 75g maltodextrin plus 75g fructose.

If you're using a relatively small contribution from gatorade, it won't matter if the gatorade is 2:1, 1:1, or something else. Ratios are clean and pretty. Physiology is anything but clean and pretty.

Hope that helps!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello!

Same here with the "PBs page". I only have the option to set my fastest 100m swim, but nothing else.

Also, when I tried to check previews triathlon recipes, It only let me check the swim recipe, not the other ones.

Everything else works like a charm!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just wanted to put it out there that I've been using the app for about a week and it is phenomenal. I have always done my swims first thing in the morning and never had any sort of fuel aside from water just assuming that it would make me feel like crap. Turns out, just by drinking some nectar on my way to the pool and in between reps I finish my swims with times that are just about as good as how I start. I've used it for other workouts too but the swim has shown huge improvements, especially in the last 1/3 of the swim with just this tiny adjustment.

Suggestions that I think would help, some of which I think you've gotten:
  • Post workout review especially including -- what % of the fuel did I ingest
  • Calibrating the amounts to typical water bottle sizes--if it's more than one or 1 1/2 fine, but a thought
  • For the run...I get that fueling consistently is great but...carrying 2 full water bottles for a long run is tough so suggestions/hacks for this would be fabulous!

Thanks for this app. It's great!
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for beta testers for fuel & hydration app "Saturday" [Osciozo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Osciozo wrote:
Hello!
Same here with the "PBs page". I only have the option to set my fastest 100m swim, but nothing else.
We totally created a point of confusion here! The swim personal best input is just to help us help you predict your swim activity duration because early-on in testing lots of users found it cumbersome to have to know exactly how long their swim would be because they "thought" in yards or meters, rather than duration. (We will soon include the option to input duration or distance, just so you've got the choice).

We will add more personal bests soon too, especially once we're synced with other platforms. If you happen to use TrainingPeaks, you can poke them to let them know you'd like us to get to sync up with them, by voting here.

Osciozo wrote:
Also, when I tried to check previews triathlon recipes, It only let me check the swim recipe, not the other ones.
Oh! You, my friend, are a winner. You found a design flaw that we were unaware of. I'll rectify this ASAP, and let you know when I've fixed it and pushed out an update with the fix.

If it is currently mission-critical for you to view those recipes now, you can work around this in the meantime by going to your "Past" activities tab, then long-pressing on the triathlon activity and moving it to today. Once it's moved to today, you'll be able to view all the recipes within it. We're fixing this ASAP because this is totally a 'hack' workaround that nobody should have to do. Are you trying to edit the activity details by tapping "edit" in the activity detail view?

Everything else works like a charm![/quote]Really glad to hear it!! Seriously appreciate you taking the time to share any issues you're having here.

Quote Reply

Prev Next