Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Patriot Half vs Ironman 70.3 Western Mass
Quote | Reply
Any thoughts on these races and which you would select?
Quote Reply
Re: Patriot Half vs Ironman 70.3 Western Mass [littlenorm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haven’t done Western MA, but Patriot is great old fashioned independent racing. Not as big as an IM 70.3, but still bringing in a good sized field. If you are fast, there will be some other good athletes there (they have an “elite” division with small cash prizes). Nice lake swim, mostly flat bike course, and flat single loop run course. Good spread afterwards. Nice prep if you are doing IMLP or otherwise starting your season. A lot of tri clubs show up in numbers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Patriot is awesome and exceptionally well run

Banger
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are three 70.3 races in those three weeks. WM, Patriot, and then White Mountains. I like all of the races but Patriot is a step above.

Get your training in shape and do all three!
Quote Reply
Re: Patriot Half vs Ironman 70.3 Western Mass [banger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
banger wrote:
Patriot is awesome and exceptionally well run

While I totally agree, I didn't see the Patriots Half on Kinetic's site. Will look again and update if I'm wrong...

Bummed, but I think the race is gone.
Quote Reply
Re: Patriot Half vs Ironman 70.3 Western Mass [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Come race Patriot and support indie races. Beautiful lake swim, real honest course, well run. (White Mountains is also a great race. Check it out if you like the timing better.)

I am seeking redemption; last time I raced there I got pulled for time with a mile left on the run. See you in June??
Quote Reply
Re: Patriot Half vs Ironman 70.3 Western Mass [UK2ME] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Patriot is great, done it a bunch of times. Price is reasonable, great course. I'd be interested to hear from some people that have done it and compare it to the 70.3 last year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Patriot Half isn't put on by Kinetic. It was recently bought by Outsider Endurance, along with some other local races. The folks running Outsider seem to have some really good energy & are all-in on keeping these races at the high standard that they're at. Also, if the Outsider folks read these forums, please keep the bike distance at 53.xx miles. It's fun to have a non-exact distance that people have raced for years. Like people said, the front of the race is great for top AGers (register in the elite wave & you get to start all together with the 20ish other OA podium contenders in the race, which you can't do at IM races as a top AGer with the TT starts. you know where you're at the entire time and lots of people finish in that 90-100 up to pro score rating range) in the area but the race is friendly for whatever your goals are.

Ironman 70.3 Western MA was created to directly compete with Patriot. There are 4 Ironman 70.3 races that weekend, & Eagleman is close enough to pull from the northeast on that date. Plus you have races like Happy Valley, Musselman, Lake Placid, and Maine, shortly after, that people in the area can choose from.

If you're in between the two races, give Patriot strong consideration. Don't want to see races like this disappear.
Quote Reply
Re: Patriot Half vs Ironman 70.3 Western Mass [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for creating this thread, it reminded me I needed to register for one of those.
Sorry, cannot help you with comparison, I've done Patriot Half 3 times but never Western Mass 70.3

Just registered for Western Mass, we'll see how it goes. The course looks ok, there are still rooms at a couple of hotels right near the transition.

Springfield itself it not a super impressive destination. Except Springfield Armory, there isn't much to see.
Quote Reply
Re: Patriot Half vs Ironman 70.3 Western Mass [ask77nl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While I tend to recommend Patriot, having done it many, many times, there also is the Basketball HoF, which is kinda interesting.
Quote Reply
Re: Patriot Half vs Ironman 70.3 Western Mass [dcpinsonn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcpinsonn wrote:
Patriot Half isn't put on by Kinetic. It was recently bought by Outsider Endurance, along with some other local races. The folks running Outsider seem to have some really good energy & are all-in on keeping these races at the high standard that they're at. Also, if the Outsider folks read these forums, please keep the bike distance at 53.xx miles. It's fun to have a non-exact distance that people have raced for years. Like people said, the front of the race is great for top AGers (register in the elite wave & you get to start all together with the 20ish other OA podium contenders in the race, which you can't do at IM races as a top AGer with the TT starts. you know where you're at the entire time and lots of people finish in that 90-100 up to pro score rating range) in the area but the race is friendly for whatever your goals are.

Ironman 70.3 Western MA was created to directly compete with Patriot. There are 4 Ironman 70.3 races that weekend, & Eagleman is close enough to pull from the northeast on that date. Plus you have races like Happy Valley, Musselman, Lake Placid, and Maine, shortly after, that people in the area can choose from.

If you're in between the two races, give Patriot strong consideration. Don't want to see races like this disappear.

The bike course had changes a couple of years ago, but both the old and current versions are nice--flat, quick, and relatively traffic free, given its location. Its a very well done event.
Quote Reply
Re: Patriot Half vs Ironman 70.3 Western Mass [banger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
banger wrote:
https://www.outsiderendurance.com/patriot-half

June 15

Thanks...but I guess we are talking about two different "Patriot" half races. Makes sense they would use that term in Boston too...The one with Kinetic is in Williamsburg, VA-or at least it was.

I've reached out to Kinetic Multisport and am waiting to hear back from them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was referring to the one in MA.

Thanks to all for the input. I'm registered for the Patriot Half and super excited!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had an athlete do that race many times and absolutely loved it! Good choice :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Patriot is a top notch local/regional race that didn't miss a beat under new ownership last year. I'm back in for next year.

I cannot support an Ironman race that specifically targets a successful local race by adding their own race nearby at the same time on the calendar (1 week apart in 2024). 70.3 Western MA draws from the same general market. Why not put this race in August with no competition.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
littlefoot wrote:
banger wrote:

June 15

Thanks...but I guess we are talking about two different "Patriot" half races. Makes sense they would use that term in Boston too...The one with Kinetic is in Williamsburg, VA-or at least it was.

I staff with Kinetic and was thinking about doing Patriots half myself this year... but it's been pulled and Sprint/Oly only for that weekend. They have two other halfs... Kinetic and Watermens if you're looking for something in that general area.
Quote Reply
Re: Patriot Half vs Ironman 70.3 Western Mass [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xeon wrote:
littlefoot wrote:
banger wrote:

June 15

I staff with Kinetic and was thinking about doing Patriots half myself this year... but it's been pulled and Sprint/Oly only for that weekend. They have two other halfs... Kinetic and Watermens if you're looking for something in that general area.

Patriot has been pulled?
Quote Reply
Re: Patriot Half vs Ironman 70.3 Western Mass [DonV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He is talking about some other race called patriot. Not the excellent one that is done in Massachusetts.
Quote Reply
Re: Patriot Half vs Ironman 70.3 Western Mass [DonV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not in MA. Looks like no half distance, but a sprint & olympic still, for a race with the same name in VA.
Quote Reply
Re: Patriot Half vs Ironman 70.3 Western Mass [sperris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sperris wrote:
He is talking about some other race called patriot. Not the excellent one that is done in Massachusetts.

Whew. Been doing Patriot for years and it’s so close to my backyard. Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Patriot is a great local race with a great post race meal. No matter your goals, it should be a great fit. I've personally raced the last couple years in the elite field and had a great time.
Quote Reply