Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Plantar Fasciitis
Quote | Reply
Struggling with Plantar Fasciitis pain coming from the heel and not in the arch , no tightness in the morning but very painful limiting actual walking .
Doing the usual to try and fix it without physio at this point , exercises with golf ball , towel , ice, heat , Voltaren cream etc .
Is physio the next step ? or any proven tips to help this annoying pain .
Quote Reply
Re: Plantar Fasciitis [sward] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had that ~ 10 years ago. It was a chronic issue that never got terrible but lasted for a long time. I then bought a 'night-splint' and wore that as much as I could, when I was sitting, lying on the couch, etc. Also sleeping although I could only tolerate it for ~ 4 hours every night until my foot felt too 'hot' at the pressure points. Really worked, though!

Amazon.com: BraceAbility Sleeping Stretch Boot - Plantar Fasciitis Night Foot Splint Adjustable Achilles Tendonitis Brace for Fascia, Tendon and Calf Stretching, Heel and Bone Spur, Arch Pain Treatment (Medium) : Health & Household
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was there for a long time. In fairness then heel is good, I think it generally starts as that feeling of stone under heel ten moves forward and then when recovering moves back to heel.

Shockwave treatment may or may not have helped me. As in wasn't miracle cure overnight and always along with all the exercises you mention, but on one occasion I'd say did positively contribute, another it wasn't effective.

What I didn't do though was voltarin / painkillers / anti inflammatory. Not my bag.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been through PF twice and it was coming from under the heel. I tried a lot of stuff so it's difficult to say precisely what worked and what didn't.
What I think was particularly useful for me was:
- Rest. If in the acute phase maybe worth not running for a while. Then getting back into running very slowly with walk/run progressively increasing the run proportion. I didn't know what it was and could run through the discomfort (also, it would seem to ease after warmup) so I kept running for way longer than I should have, especially the first time it happened, and made it worse.
- Exercises given by the phisio, but especially calf raises and exercises to strengthen toes and foot balance.
- General weekly mobility/hip and core strength also help.
- Insoles with higher arch. I have custom insoles in my main running shoes and in my main cycling shoes. I also have non-custom insoles in my other running/cycling shoes and non-sport shoes. I can't really tell if there truly is benefit in the custom ones vs mass produced ones with higher arches.
- Replacing old shoes (especially running/walking shoes with lots of mileage one) and in general uncomfortable shoes.
- I make sure most of the footwear I use has a bit of arch support (I have the Hoka slides for home and the Hoke filp for beach/swimming pool). This is especially important if working a lot from home. For me this was night and day vs standard slippers or flip flops.

I did some shockwave therapy at the physio, I can't really tell if it did anything.
I'd say it's better to go to the physio rather than relying just on internet advice (but I tried 2 or 3 of them). I found one physio (out of the two or three I visited) in particular recommended exercises that were particularly suited for me as he noticed I had the affected leg weaker than the other, and a lazy big toe.
I found pain medicines (voltaren, pain killers) made absolutely no difference for me.

I have no scientific proof to provide but I think all in all what worked for me is the exercises and insoles.
An occasional use of shoes without insoles (say Vaporflies on triathlon race day) doesn't seem to be a problem now.
Last edited by: marcoviappiani: Mar 4, 24 1:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The magic sauce for me was 'better shoes'. Initially one thing that did help were super long calf stretches, like for two minutes but my foot still hurt.

I got a pair of Hoka Bondi's and I never went barefoot for a while. This was the recommendation of a physician that finally diagnosed my PF.

Getting a pair of Hoka slides really helped because slipping into them is easier than into shoes... I kept my Bondi's at the edge of my bed before that. Almost immediately I felt relief enought to walk comfortably in my Hokas.

My recovery went like this, no running until I felt absolutely no pain for a week. Then it was a very gradual process running again. Workout was like walk for 3 minutes, run for 1... like a mile total. Feel it out, then ramp up the time interval, increase mileage and before I knew it I was running again over a month of slowly easing into it. I also ran in Vaporflys for my return to running.

After about a year I'm was able to wear other shoes somewhat comfortably but it was a slow process. I'm talking dress shoes and that sort of things.

It changed my whole running shoe outlook as well. Everything I own and run in now is in the 35mm + stack range and I wear my Hokas for walking around a lot still. Traded my slides in for Oofoos, not sure if I spelled that right but they're crazy comfortable too. PF sucks and is slow healing.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Strassburg sock and calf stretching is the only thing that solved my years of PF. Just because the foot hurts doesn't mean the cause is the foot. Check out the book Running Rewired.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going to double down on some things other people have said. Number one for me was the Strasburg sock spelled St r a s b u r g. I wore it at night for months on end and eventually I didn't have to wear it anymore. I have not had an issue with it since really. Second don't walk around barefoot. My family gives me a hard time but I don't walk anywhere without
Lastly, I'm a lover of high stack shoes as well. My favorite shoes were the original mafate from Hoka that had a 44 heel and 41 foorefoot. Those things were like heaven for my feet. I just recently found the Asics Trabuco Max that have a 4338 which is pretty nice too.
Quote Reply
Re: Plantar Fasciitis [marcoviappiani] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcoviappiani wrote:
I have been through PF twice and it was coming from under the heel. I tried a lot of stuff so it's difficult to say precisely what worked and what didn't.
What I think was particularly useful for me was:
- Rest. If in the acute phase maybe worth not running for a while. Then getting back into running very slowly with walk/run progressively increasing the run proportion. I didn't know what it was and could run through the discomfort (also, it would seem to ease after warmup) so I kept running for way longer than I should have, especially the first time it happened, and made it worse.
- Exercises given by the phisio, but especially calf raises and exercises to strengthen toes and foot balance.
- General weekly mobility/hip and core strength also help.
- Insoles with higher arch. I have custom insoles in my main running shoes and in my main cycling shoes. I also have non-custom insoles in my other running/cycling shoes and non-sport shoes. I can't really tell if there truly is benefit in the custom ones vs mass produced ones with higher arches.
- Replacing old shoes (especially running/walking shoes with lots of mileage one) and in general uncomfortable shoes.
- I make sure most of the footwear I use has a bit of arch support (I have the Hoka slides for home and the Hoke filp for beach/swimming pool). This is especially important if working a lot from home. For me this was night and day vs standard slippers or flip flops.

I did some shockwave therapy at the physio, I can't really tell if it did anything.
I'd say it's better to go to the physio rather than relying just on internet advice (but I tried 2 or 3 of them). I found one physio (out of the two or three I visited) in particular recommended exercises that were particularly suited for me as he noticed I had the affected leg weaker than the other, and a lazy big toe.
I found pain medicines (voltaren, pain killers) made absolutely no difference for me.

I have no scientific proof to provide but I think all in all what worked for me is the exercises and insoles.
An occasional use of shoes without insoles (say Vaporflies on triathlon race day) doesn't seem to be a problem now.

Yep. All of this. I suffered from PF and related symptoms for a long time. Mobility and stability of the entire lower body is critical to long term recovery.

I will add that rigid (specifically) custom insoles can ultimately make the problem worse. Flexible insoles that support the arch but allow the foot to flex normally are the way to go. I've had full rigid, custom hand made foam, and now commercial molded inserts. The full rigid worked for a while, but ultimately cause weakness in the foot, and put stress in other parts of the foot which caused problems that took a very long time to resolve.

I currently use Upstep insoles. I switched when my hand built custom foam insoles finally died. I've been super happy with them. It's an online ordering process, and they ship you a foam mould for you to step on. Then they ship you your inserts In couple weeks. Adaptation to the new inserts was quick and easy. I wear them all day, every day. I have two sets, one for daily shoes and one for running shoes.

The other thing I would add is calf stretches--- both straight leg, and bent leg. I prefer to do both legs together rather than one at a time. This is to prevent overstretching, and causing more pain---especially, while in the throughs of active PF. But, it's also just a little more time efficient. Remember that you need a total of 90+ seconds of stretch per muscle in order to make significant progress in flexability, and a minimum of 30 seconds per stretch. Could be 3x30s, 2x45s, or 1x90s...but not 9x10s. Also, stretches should be done in shoes with the insoles installed.

I agree with the ALWAYS WALK IN SHOES WITH SUPPORT advice. Since making a full recovery, I do violate this rule. And, I wonder if there is some benefit to increasing tolerance for barefootedness, but I have no data other than my own experience. It has not caused any issues for me, and I've been PF free for 9ish years now.

I did Shockwave also, and it did nothing GOOD. It caused a lot of pain, and took weeks to recover from.... With no improvement after recovery.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Mar 4, 24 7:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Delt with it last year. Hurt like a mofo. No freaking way to run through it. Lots of cycling and lots of weighted heel drop exercises finally got me straight again. Took about 6 weeks of the rehab exercises to get where I could shuffle/run a couple miles but complete healing took about 6 months.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had good success with: Graston scraping technique, heavy single leg calf raises (both seated and standing), arch supports in my running shoes (Superfeet orange), and Chaco's scandals instead of going barefoot.
Last edited by: piratetri: Mar 4, 24 9:38
Quote Reply
Re: Plantar Fasciitis [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cdw wrote:
I'm going to double down on some things other people have said. Number one for me was the Strasburg sock spelled St r a s b u r g. I wore it at night for months on end and eventually I didn't have to wear it anymore. I have not had an issue with it since really. Second don't walk around barefoot. My family gives me a hard time but I don't walk anywhere without
Lastly, I'm a lover of high stack shoes as well. My favorite shoes were the original mafate from Hoka that had a 44 heel and 41 foorefoot. Those things were like heaven for my feet. I just recently found the Asics Trabuco Max that have a 4338 which is pretty nice too.

The Sock is what finally cured my last (and worst) bout of PF. I also found that wearing shoes with little or no drop also seemed to help. For a few years I started wearing skate shoes (Vans Old Skools) which had zero drop anytime I wasn't running. I also switched to running shoes with 6mm or less drop. I currently wear low drop/higher stack running shoes most of the time now. I used to constantly get PF, and each time it was worse than the previous time. I don't know if the lower drop shoes actually helped, but since that last bout I haven't had it since, which was 20 years ago...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sward wrote:
Struggling with Plantar Fasciitis pain coming from the heel and not in the arch , no tightness in the morning but very painful limiting actual walking .
Doing the usual to try and fix it without physio at this point , exercises with golf ball , towel , ice, heat , Voltaren cream etc .
Is physio the next step ? or any proven tips to help this annoying pain .

I had problems with plantar fasciitis for years. It's actually the reason I'm a cyclist and occasional triathlete instead of just a runner - I needed to give my feet a break. In any case, I've had zero significant issues with it for ages. My solution was stretching - but not just calves! Everyone stretches their calves, but I found THOROUGHLY stretching the entire muscle chain along the back of my leg (ie don't forget your hamstrings) completely eradicated my PF. Every so often it pops up a bit because I hate stretching and don't do enough of it, and I start stretching again, and it goes away.

Be careful not to injure yourself stretching. Allocate plenty of time and take your time and don't overstretch. Do longer duration but relatively gentle stretches. Believe it or not, my favorite stretching series for relief for PF is something I found on Youtube targeted at people trying to "get their splits." I will never, ever be able to do a split, but those stretches really worked for PF for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had PF for months and failed to make any progress with any of the non-invasive treatments (e.g. physio, exercises, moon boot). I finally got it cured with a PRP injection.
Quote Reply
Re: Plantar Fasciitis [irongirl101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
irongirl101 wrote:
I had PF for months and failed to make any progress with any of the non-invasive treatments (e.g. physio, exercises, moon boot). I finally got it cured with a PRP injection.

Hello, Irongirl 101. I got a PRP injection over three weeks ago in my PF but it feels just the same as it did before the injection. I'm not convinced it's going to help. Did you have one shot only or multiple? Also, how long did it take for you to notice the injection actually helped? I sincerely appreciate any insight you can shed on your experience!
Quote Reply
Re: Plantar Fasciitis [tripphipple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I only needed one injection although I know it’s not uncommon for up to three injections to be given. I had also had an MRI done and the doctor said there was possibly a minor tear in there, which could have explained the inability to get on top of it via the non-invasive methods, but also supported the use of PRP to help accelerate the healing. The fact that the PRP helped leads me to believe there had been a slight tear.

It took about 3 weeks for me to notice any improvement, and I was able to start running again at 6 weeks. That was after several months of nothing else working.
Quote Reply
Re: Plantar Fasciitis [irongirl101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
irongirl101 wrote:
I only needed one injection although I know it’s not uncommon for up to three injections to be given. I had also had an MRI done and the doctor said there was possibly a minor tear in there, which could have explained the inability to get on top of it via the non-invasive methods, but also supported the use of PRP to help accelerate the healing. The fact that the PRP helped leads me to believe there had been a slight tear.

It took about 3 weeks for me to notice any improvement, and I was able to start running again at 6 weeks. That was after several months of nothing else working.

Thank you for the info! I feel like I'm in a similar boat you were so it's reassuring to hear PRP helped you. Here's to optimism!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have used a Trigger Point quad roller and rolled it like this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpVMZziJeY8
Quote Reply