Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
RIP The Obsessed Triathlete
Quote | Reply
Thanks to Cristophe for building the site. It was the only triathlon website I visited other than Slowtwitch so I'm very sad to see it go.

Quote Reply
Re: RIP The Obsessed Triathlete [Lagoon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lagoon wrote:
Thanks to Cristophe for building the site. It was the only triathlon website I visited other than Slowtwitch so I'm very sad to see it go.

Sad day indeed. đŸ¥º

I really liked the fantasy. I wish I could put together a system like that but web development is not my thing.
Last edited by: TulkasTri: Oct 5, 23 20:37
Quote Reply
Re: RIP The Obsessed Triathlete [TulkasTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A lot of great features, and fantasy was definitely my favorite. I missed it this September as it had already been stopped.

Thanks for the fun over the years, Christophe.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Re: RIP The Obsessed Triathlete [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was it just Ironman that shut him out? His live tracking was class and so much more detailed and up to date compared to the trackers shown on screen - I often felt more aware of what was happening on course that the actual commentators on the TV feed.

Why would Ironman (and possibly others) kill off something that helps to build enthusiasm and awareness amongst supporters
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn, that site was fantastic....

Me: https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...ever-comes-next.html

Latest: Colorectal Cancer is in the News Again. Don't Blame Red Meat
https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...news-again-dont.html
Quote Reply
Re: RIP The Obsessed Triathlete [TheGOAT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheGOAT wrote:
Was it just Ironman that shut him out? His live tracking was class and so much more detailed and up to date compared to the trackers shown on screen - I often felt more aware of what was happening on course that the actual commentators on the TV feed.

Why would Ironman (and possibly others) kill off something that helps to build enthusiasm and awareness amongst supporters

x2 - this sucks. i used to say that IM or PTO should contract him. the guy obviously love the sport and had a knack for visualizing much better than the in-house people, and was able to make the meagre tracker data into something useful.

there are usually two sides to every story but in this case i'm inclined to say shame on them for making his work impossible - it's our loss (and the sport's loss, really).

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm just super disappointed. I'll certainly be missing the "news landing page", where I could track any newly released vlogs or podcasts etc. Plus that was my main page for my own past results ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great site. That really sucks.

Loved the fantasy game.

And it was incredibly useful compared to what's out there......
Quote Reply
Re: RIP The Obsessed Triathlete [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely the sports loss.

The motivation for doing things that shut amateur sites down is usually to drive traffic to another website or minimise advertising opportunities away from the main sites. In this case there is nowhere else to get that level and quality of information - which ultimately leads to fringe supporters losing interest. Super bummed since it went - it was one of my daily clicks.

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know of a website that will pull together links from lots of triathlon-related sources like this news site section used to?

Full-time Engineer / Part-time Pro Triathlete
Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/benwgoodfellow/
Strava - https://www.strava.com/athletes/3085032
Website - https://benwgoodfellow.wixsite.com/bengoodfellow
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironman numbers are dropping and Ironman pulls crap like this. obstri was such a great resource.

Tracking down results on the Ironman site is abysmal.
Quote Reply
Re: RIP The Obsessed Triathlete [BenwGoodfellow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BenwGoodfellow wrote:
Does anyone know of a website that will pull together links from lots of triathlon-related sources like this news site section used to?

this might work

https://www.k226.com/news/default.aspx

i use the site mostly to find good independent races.
Quote Reply
Re: RIP The Obsessed Triathlete [Stelvio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another thing that makes it really hard to keep giving Ironman my money, but I still keep coming back.

First, they intentionally wipe out competing races, now they make it difficult for people passionate about racing to create content and excitement around racing.

We could use another Rev3 circa 2013, but the masses want to to race Ironman and I want to race with the masses. It's a vicious cycle. Take my money Ironman, even though I hate your business practices...
Quote Reply
Re: RIP The Obsessed Triathlete [FlannyOH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm more inclined to blame the EU data protection policies and their stupid rules that have everyone clicking "agree" without reading what they agree to on every other website in the world, under the guise of protecting data. Ya... creating a habit of clicking agree mindlessly is really to our benefit.

I'm guessing IM could have worked with obstri and the data rules, but it would have required a legals team and still exposed them to risk. With how many people are out to get Ironman as evidenced by your own post can you blame them for wanting to eliminate any potential exposure to that risk considering the ridiculous penalties baked into this EU law? The EU law is precisely targeted to be able to take down random big US companies that become an easy target for EU politics. Exactly something that Ironman could fall into.
Last edited by: Lurker4: Oct 10, 23 8:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another sad user Obstri user here. The results search was AWESOME. Thsi was my 'go to' site for results.

I was actually glad to pay the (expensive) annual membership to access all the athlete results and be able to scope the competition, or have quick access to one's results including mine.

Shame on IM for killing the motivation of fans and passionate of the sport, offering creative solutions and products :-/

---------------------------------
T. Guertin / Spocket
Quote Reply
Re: RIP The Obsessed Triathlete [spocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spocket wrote:
Another sad user Obstri user here. The results search was AWESOME. Thsi was my 'go to' site for results.

I was actually glad to pay the (expensive) annual membership to access all the athlete results and be able to scope the competition, or have quick access to one's results including mine.

Shame on IM for killing the motivation of fans and passionate of the sport, offering creative solutions and products :-/

Agree completely!

---------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Meanwhile the new-ish Ironman website is so terrible that in order to view the Kona race schedule, you have to download a friggin' PDF...

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Re: RIP The Obsessed Triathlete [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This super sad and I would love to learn more whether this was
  • Ironman sending out cease-and-desist letters to Christophe or
  • Ironman shutting down whatever method Christophe used to read the race results into his database

If the issue is the second, I wonder whether that could've been solved by getting somebody to write a website scraper - after all the results are available via a website.

I loved the fact that I was able to quickly check who is racing with me in my AG and how they performed in the past, this was very helpful for those important qualification races... :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They should have been paying him for the service he was providing to their customers for free....instead that service is gone
Quote Reply
Re: RIP The Obsessed Triathlete [spocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really appreciated that site. It will be missed.
Quote Reply
Re: RIP The Obsessed Triathlete [Greatzaa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Greatzaa wrote:
They should have been paying him for the service he was providing to their customers for free....instead that service is gone

No need for them to do that when they have the data and could provide it to their own customers themselves as a free service or at a cost?
Quote Reply
Re: RIP The Obsessed Triathlete [Bryan!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryan! wrote:
Greatzaa wrote:

No need for them to do that when they have the data and could provide it to their own customers themselves as a free service or at a cost?

Are they actually winning any new customers by providing this info? Or the flipside, are they actually losing any customers by no longer having this information?

Most people entering their events care only about their own finishing time, maybe some of them about where they finished in their age group. How many people actually care about how well the 500th place finisher did in relation to the F65-69 AG podium? I daresay if you're interested in information down to that level of detail you're probably already entering their events and unlikely to stop because a niche website shut down.
Quote Reply
Re: RIP The Obsessed Triathlete [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mathematics wrote:
Bryan! wrote:
Greatzaa wrote:

Are they actually winning any new customers by providing this info? Or the flipside, are they actually losing any customers by no longer having this information?

Most people entering their events care only about their own finishing time, maybe some of them about where they finished in their age group. How many people actually care about how well the 500th place finisher did in relation to the F65-69 AG podium? I daresay if you're interested in information down to that level of detail you're probably already entering their events and unlikely to stop because a niche website shut down.

Doubtful that providing such data for free would result in new customers. At a cost however, they may see some initial ROI but it’s unlikely long term since their sites are usually not very user friendly.
Quote Reply
Re: RIP The Obsessed Triathlete [Lurker4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lurker4 wrote:
I'm more inclined to blame the EU data protection policies and their stupid rules that have everyone clicking "agree" without reading what they agree to on every other website in the world, under the guise of protecting data. Ya... creating a habit of clicking agree mindlessly is really to our benefit.

I'm guessing IM could have worked with obstri and the data rules, but it would have required a legals team and still exposed them to risk. With how many people are out to get Ironman as evidenced by your own post can you blame them for wanting to eliminate any potential exposure to that risk considering the ridiculous penalties baked into this EU law? The EU law is precisely targeted to be able to take down random big US companies that become an easy target for EU politics. Exactly something that Ironman could fall into.

That's too bad. What a bummer. I don't understand these EU laws. The data is publicly available from the IM site if you dig for it (results). Just don't understand why another website can't access this and report out the same data that is available publicly on IM's own website. But I'm far from a legal expert. Really too bad as I did love the ObsTri app and website. I found it very useful and helpful.

ETA: on Athlinks, the last IM data looks like Lake Placid (and maybe other IM events around this date). So Athlinks will be missing IM race results and any othe website that reported this kind of data.

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Last edited by: Triingtotrain: Oct 31, 23 8:13
Quote Reply
Re: RIP The Obsessed Triathlete [Triingtotrain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triingtotrain wrote:

ETA: on Athlinks, the last IM data looks like Lake Placid (and maybe other IM events around this date). So Athlinks will be missing IM race results and any othe website that reported this kind of data.

Athlinks has results from 70.3 Michigan in September.
Quote Reply

Prev Next