Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Raising saddle height to recover from knee injury
Quote | Reply
Anyone had success with this?

I've done something to my knee. Seeking professional assessment next week. It's a sharp pain (and feels like will give way at the pain point) front/slightly inside when loading it beyond a certain bend, like up stairs, single leg squat, running at any sort of pace.
Hoping it's just some PFPS but concerned it might be cartilage related, as I've not had any ramp up in volume or build. Potentially blaming my new Hoka Mach 6 For it's funky rocker that seems to roll in rather than just forward and has probably changed my gait.

Tried a 45 minute zone 2 Zwift yesterday and felt ok until getting off, so I will give it a rest from ride and run for at least a week.

Will consult the physiotherapist but any thoughts about a return to easy cycling with a raised seat, then gradually lowering it back to normal once I can increase the load? Or will this just cause issues elsewhere even at easy power high cadence? I'll do this on the gravel bike on the turbo rather than the TT not to load the quads as much.

Thankfully I can still swim with a Ledecky style one beat kick and extended time with a pull bouy, although my ability to push off the wall is laughable.
Quote Reply
Re: Raising saddle height to recover from knee injury [jn46] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don’t adjust your fit, you’ll only get compensatory injuries. With what you are saying, zi’d take one week off to let the acute pain settle then gradually begin loading again with short easy workouts lncreasing volume if it’s tolerating. I’d also do some gym work to strengthen quads, hams, glutes.

My Strava | My Instagram | Summerville, SC | 35-39 AG | 4:41 (70.3), 10:05 (140.6) | 3x70.3, 1x140.6 | Cat 2 Cyclist
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having the saddle height too high mainly causes saddle sore problems, but can also be hard on your achilles if you're having to stretch your toes too far on the downstroke.

Aside from saddle sores I haven't had any problems with raising the seat up, but there's def a limit before they start becoming a problem. In fact, I tend to keep my seat raised as high as possible before the saddles sores become a problem, which means it's not that high at all.

I have no idea if it'll help your knee pain though, I've never adjusted saddle position for that. People with knee pain with high load tend to use higher cadence to avoid that problem rather than seat changes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jn46 wrote:
Anyone had success with this?

I've done something to my knee. Seeking professional assessment next week. It's a sharp pain (and feels like will give way at the pain point) front/slightly inside when loading it beyond a certain bend, like up stairs, single leg squat, running at any sort of pace.
Hoping it's just some PFPS but concerned it might be cartilage related, as I've not had any ramp up in volume or build. Potentially blaming my new Hoka Mach 6 For it's funky rocker that seems to roll in rather than just forward and has probably changed my gait.

Tried a 45 minute zone 2 Zwift yesterday and felt ok until getting off, so I will give it a rest from ride and run for at least a week.

Will consult the physiotherapist but any thoughts about a return to easy cycling with a raised seat, then gradually lowering it back to normal once I can increase the load? Or will this just cause issues elsewhere even at easy power high cadence? I'll do this on the gravel bike on the turbo rather than the TT not to load the quads as much.

2 issues.

1 the Hoka's. the Mach 6 is a good shoe but if you're rolling in and that is the issue you probably need to stop using that shoe for a few weeks to see if it goes away. reintroduce the Hoka and if it happens again then ditch them. You might need a stability shoe that has a wedge or you might need something that has a firmer foam or a plate. If it's the shoes we can discuss options later.

2. depending on the seat height and where you're at you might be able to raise it a tiny bit, maybe 1-3mm maybe 4mm, maybe and 5mm will probably be too high. If those small changes work, that works great, if not, lower it back.

Had a fit client recently where a 1mm increase in seat height made his knee feel way better when and after riding. Before that, every time he rode his knee started to hurt about 45min into the ride and hurt for 2-3d after. Now he's pain free during and after riding.

We raised in 1mm increments. 1mm felt much better, 2mm was fine on par with 1mm, 3mm felt too high but still pain free, went back to 2mm he liked it. Then back to 1mm and he liked it better, then back to normal to see how he felt. He said it felt worse and he liked 1 and 2mm better. Then back up to 2mm then back to normal then to 1mm and he decided that 1mm felt the best.

Good luck

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Apr 14, 24 8:30
Quote Reply