Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2024 World Triathlon Championship Series Abu Dhabi [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And there’s nothing in the rules against that?

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: 2024 World Triathlon Championship Series Abu Dhabi [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only rule is that the race roster the federations select must take the spots in both the individual and MTR (IE- be on the start list), and that the roster for the MTR must come from the roster within the individual race. You therefore can DNS, DNF after diving off the ponton, DNF after pulling Yee around at T2 or race the full race and still be eligible for the MTR.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: 2024 World Triathlon Championship Series Abu Dhabi [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
It’s the only strategy especially as they aren’t really all that close to gaining 3 spots. So at this point if your JB less is more. And more importantly if your GB if JB is your mtr guy, you don’t burn him up racing an individual race at this point in his career. His the poster child for vet athlete who’s lost his fastball but can be called upon for 1 key moment. But you don’t want to burn him out before that moment.

He may actually do in Paris what I’ve theorized will eventually happen when mtr + individual rosters are together.. dNs the individual race, especially if your a front pack athlete swimmer your basically only racing against Yee at that point. So unless he’s racing for Yee there is little gain from having him race both events in Paris.

I agree with everything you say except JB would have a swim/bike role for Alex and not run in the individual race. As I keep saying there is a very long way to go yet and GB could have a miracle with one of the young guns auto qualifying by ranking. Unlikely but not impossible.
Quote Reply
Re: 2024 World Triathlon Championship Series Abu Dhabi [SheridanTris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The issue though is that Izzard and JB are basically attached together in the fight for top 30 ranking. They both have to get top 30, so even if Izzard gets inside top 30 (or if JB did it but not Izzard), that really doesnt matter because GB already has 2 male spots by default. So it's a lot like that for the US. If Pearson skips races, there's no point in Seth Rider "chasing points" because they both need to chase points to get inside top 30. Pearson obviously can nail a T7 at a WTCS spot and move up a ton of points. Rider/Izzard and to a degree JB don't really have that ability at the biggest points races (WTCS), so they sorta have to "grind" the schedule and for Rider in particular, he's going to run into offset points issues (which so will Izzard if he races 2 more races).

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
The issue though is that Izzard and JB are basically attached together in the fight for top 30 ranking. They both have to get top 30, so even if Izzard gets inside top 30 (or if JB did it but not Izzard), that really doesnt matter because GB already has 2 male spots by default. So it's a lot like that for the US. If Pearson skips races, there's no point in Seth Rider "chasing points" because they both need to chase points to get inside top 30. Pearson obviously can nail a T7 at a WTCS spot and move up a ton of points. Rider/Izzard and to a degree JB don't really have that ability at the biggest points races (WTCS), so they sorta have to "grind" the schedule and for Rider in particular, he's going to run into offset points issues (which so will Izzard if he races 2 more races).

I can’t find the full rules for Olympics. Each federation can only have 3 athletes, but if you look at France they have 5 in the top 30. Do the last 2 get removed from the final rankings and athletes in 31st and 32nd place automatically become top 30?

Edit: should have been clearer, 5 men in top 30 mens rankings.
Last edited by: SheridanTris: Mar 7, 24 6:28
Quote Reply
Re: 2024 World Triathlon Championship Series Abu Dhabi [SheridanTris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Top 3 have to be in top 30 and there are no roll downs in the rankings.

Olympic rankings is used to fill federation rosters for Olympics and the WT ranking is used to fill any races (including Wtcs). Wtcs ranking is basically used to determine “world champion” + money bonuses.

That’s the gist of why so many different rankings and what each ranking is used for.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: 2024 World Triathlon Championship Series Abu Dhabi [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
Prediction..

1. Yee
2. Wilde
3. Vilaca

1. Potter
2. Waugh
3. Coldwell

I don't think Wilde is in game shape yet. Not worried that he won't be soon.

And on that note, I really don't know who will be ready for this race. If your plan is to peak around August 1st, you might not want to be race ready on March 8th.

I'm taking Vilaca to win with Blum and Bergere filling out to podium

I'm taking Spivey, Coldwell, Waugh for the women's podium.
Quote Reply
Re: 2024 World Triathlon Championship Series Abu Dhabi [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everyone is trying to peak for the Olympics, I know Wilde had a shocker in NZ, but he'll have much better company on the bike to compensate for a poor swim.
Quote Reply
Re: 2024 World Triathlon Championship Series Abu Dhabi [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
Everyone is trying to peak for the Olympics, I know Wilde had a shocker in NZ, but he'll have much better company on the bike to compensate for a poor swim.

Well no kidding. But if you haven’t qualified yet your early season races have a different importance. So all things being equal, I’d be surprised if Knibb beat Spivey, just as an example.

And I’ve been terrible at picking winners so don’t listen to me at all.
Quote Reply
Re: 2024 World Triathlon Championship Series Abu Dhabi [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Race in doubt due to 'severe weather' in Abu Dhabi: https://www.thenationalnews.com/...dhabi-storm-weather/
Quote Reply
Re: 2024 World Triathlon Championship Series Abu Dhabi [WhittleFit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s been canceled

https://www.instagram.com/...0pSSOI4/?img_index=1
Last edited by: jmsenger: Mar 7, 24 22:30
Quote Reply
Re: 2024 World Triathlon Championship Series Abu Dhabi [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wait… Canceled!?!?
Quote Reply
Re: 2024 World Triathlon Championship Series Abu Dhabi [Death2TTbikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How is the race prevented from taking part today when the weather is like this?? Race was taking place 16 and 18 local time...

Quote Reply
Re: 2024 World Triathlon Championship Series Abu Dhabi [Xath10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The media say that hell is to be unleashed Friday evening, and they're expecting flooding, among other things. And these storms come in rapidly. So maybe it's about (1) the risk that the storm starts earlier than forecast, (2) the need for everyone to get home safely after the race and for the organizers to clean up the race site, remove all the barriers, and cones, etc.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Re: 2024 World Triathlon Championship Series Abu Dhabi [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hopefully big Blu is on a private jet to Miami right now
Quote Reply
Re: 2024 World Triathlon Championship Series Abu Dhabi [TheGOAT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheGOAT wrote:
Hopefully big Blu is on a private jet to Miami right now

That would be hilarious!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes that makes sense but considering that the race takes part entirely in a closed venue and that the thunderstorm is not scheduled until late night, taking the decision so many hours ahead seems a bit exaggerated. I'm sure it's been local authorities forcing WT to cancel it, but it's such a shame.
Quote Reply
Re: 2024 World Triathlon Championship Series Abu Dhabi [Xath10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Xath10 wrote:
Yes that makes sense but considering that the race takes part entirely in a closed venue and that the thunderstorm is not scheduled until late night, taking the decision so many hours ahead seems a bit exaggerated. I'm sure it's been local authorities forcing WT to cancel it, but it's such a shame.

I can't speak specifically about Abu Dhabi but as someone living in the Middle East I can tell you that these cities don't have the infrastructure to handle even the smallest amount of rain. Not only that but the ground doesn't absorb water like soil does.

So pretty much rain = flooding and a bunch of standing water. The track itself might be better equipped but the surrounding areas probably not so much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reading more of the news on the weather, they've shut or are shutting lots of things down...crazy.
Quote Reply
Re: 2024 World Triathlon Championship Series Abu Dhabi [Kingy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kingy wrote:
Xath10 wrote:

I can't speak specifically about Abu Dhabi but as someone living in the Middle East I can tell you that these cities don't have the infrastructure to handle even the smallest amount of rain. Not only that but the ground doesn't absorb water like soil does.

So pretty much rain = flooding and a bunch of standing water. The track itself might be better equipped but the surrounding areas probably not so much.

I know in Dubai the sewer system is intentionally underbuilt because it is not worth overbuilding it to handle a few times per year heavy rain. It just takes a bit of time for things to drain and everything is concrete and brick and marble so first floor cleanup if it is even that high is easy and then it is all done. It makes sense to not overbuild the infrastructure for rare days. Its just like London UK or Seattle don't have the same snow removal infrastructure as where I live in Ottawa Canada, Easier to have things shut down and let the snow melt for the rare days
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kajet wrote:
The media say that hell is to be unleashed Friday evening, and they're expecting flooding, among other things. And these storms come in rapidly. So maybe it's about (1) the risk that the storm starts earlier than forecast, (2) the need for everyone to get home safely after the race and for the organizers to clean up the race site, remove all the barriers, and cones, etc.

This is what I meant. This was posted 20:30 local time.

https://twitter.com/...weetUser=ottowallace

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Re: 2024 World Triathlon Championship Series Abu Dhabi [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Kingy wrote:
Xath10 wrote:

I know in Dubai the sewer system is intentionally underbuilt because it is not worth overbuilding it to handle a few times per year heavy rain. It just takes a bit of time for things to drain and everything is concrete and brick and marble so first floor cleanup if it is even that high is easy and then it is all done. It makes sense to not overbuild the infrastructure for rare days. Its just like London UK or Seattle don't have the same snow removal infrastructure as where I live in Ottawa Canada, Easier to have things shut down and let the snow melt for the rare days

This explains a lot. Was wondering why the race had been cancelled due to some rain.
Quote Reply
Re: 2024 World Triathlon Championship Series Abu Dhabi [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is the rain in Abu Dhabi this evening: https://x.com/...159903163384312?s=20
Quote Reply
Re: 2024 World Triathlon Championship Series Abu Dhabi [TheGOAT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know if Blu (not "big" - he is actually quite little) is joking or night but his IG says he found a flight.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: 2024 World Triathlon Championship Series Abu Dhabi [The_Exile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like the right call for all involved. Pretty insane.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next