Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Rear disc axle swap
Quote | Reply
I have a zipp speed weaponry rear disc with a 9spd hub. I’d like to swap the axle to allow for an 11spd hub. Is this possible on a rear disc?
Quote Reply
Re: Rear disc axle swap [Obied70] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am sure that you could have a machine shop make all of the parts that you would need.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depending on how old it is, it may or not take an 11spd cassette.
The previous answer isn't exactly helpful (as per..).

If the wheel is that old, its freehub body will only be long enough to fit 7-9spd cassettes. The disc hub part will be too wide to allow a longer freehub body unless you are planning on making your frame wider too. Newer wheel geometry narrows the outer hub flanges to allow for more "gears".

If it will take a 10spd cassette, there's the possibility it will take an 11 straight off, or you might have to machine the cassette sprocket carrier down ~1.8mm to allow the cassette to sit more inboard.
There's also an mtb variant cassette which fits 10spd hubs, but its quite a wide range.

Or find a zipp campag freehub body that fits your hub. Hens teeth are easier to find though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Obied70 wrote:
I have a zipp speed weaponry rear disc with a 9spd hub. I’d like to swap the axle to allow for an 11spd hub. Is this possible on a rear disc?
I shall assume that you wish to do this because you wish to use it with 11sp shifters.
The freehub will take a 9sp cassette or a 10sp (with a 1mm spacer). You may wish to consider taking an 11sp cassette and removing the largest sprocket. You can then use those 10 sprockets (with a spacer? - to get the thread engagement for the lockring 'mummy bear') but the last click won't give you a lower gear (an 11-25 will be fine having removed the 28). I have not done exactly this.
This would be easyish to confirm if viable by using an old 11sp cassette for a test run.

https://bike.bikegremlin.com/...hainrings-standards/ for the numbers
Last edited by: Ajax Bay: May 14, 24 2:37
Quote Reply