Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Review for Magic5 Goggles
Quote | Reply

I'm currently using a set of Roka R1, love the quality of the 'lenses', no fug, great visibility.

Problem is that they don't fit me... can't hold a seal unless super thigh, which is less than comfortable.

Thinking about giving a try to the Magic5... but those things are fairly expensive for consumables.

Any feedback will be welcome
Quote Reply
Re: Review for Magic5 Goggles [benleg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speedo Vanquishers will do the trick

website/blog | Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Always had leaking issues with all my goggles unless they were super tight until I got a pair of Magic5's. I waited until they had a sail and bought a few of them and they have been working really well for me. I have a friend that had leaking issues with them at first and the customer support was really quick to send her a new set a couple times until is was perfect.

They are expensive, but I have enjoyed the lack of headaches while swimming now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love, love, love my Magic5 goggles. I have no leaking, no fogging, and no headaches or raccoon eyes. They're the most comfortable goggles I've worn, and I find the optics to be quite good. I have them in four different tints now (including clear) for different conditions. I wore the clear for IMLP a few weeks ago, and they were great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
benleg wrote:

I'm currently using a set of Roka R1, love the quality of the 'lenses', no fug, great visibility.

Problem is that they don't fit me... can't hold a seal unless super thigh, which is less than comfortable.

Thinking about giving a try to the Magic5... but those things are fairly expensive for consumables.

I've used Roka R1's since they were introduced, probably 3+ years.

Got my first pair of magic 5's this year and got my second pair (tinted) about a month ago. Definitely worth the price of admission. They aren't cheap, but are hands down the most comfortable pair I have ever owned. Good field of vision, but truthfully fog up just like any other pair. Probably took a consistent 2 months of wear before I started to see them fog up, but would still 110% recommend them to anyone looking to get a new pair of goggles. They also often have 10-20% discount codes.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had high hopes, but they haven't worked well for me at all. leakiest and the foggiest goggles I have ever owned in 50 years of competitive swimming. They are working with me to fix, but I am not optimistic. They just don't fit my face....always knew my face was a problem!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I own 3 pairs of the Magic5. I've always struggled to get goggles that would fit without leaking and in 1 year of use I've never had a pair leak. Not once! They are nothing short of amazing, fit comfortable, and never leave a goggle mark. I just hope they offer prescription option in the not too distant future...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got 3 pairs of Magic 5 goggles earlier this year and I absolutely love them. Fit my face perfectly with no leaking and I do not have to tighten the straps really tightly for races, which I always had to do with other goggles. Best goggles I have ever used. Got some minor fogging in my last race, but weather was strange - 70's air temp and 50's water temp (Alaska).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the magic5 goggles for training goggles and will eventually transition to them for racing. I use R1s for racing because I have a few new pair and they fit me reasonably well and for a sprint/oly swim they're not uncomfortable. Once that stock runs out, I'll get tinted magic5's to race in as well.

With R1's an hour plus is where they were uncomfortable and custom goggles were a welcome addition to my pool time. My right eye is a bit odd it seems... the Magic5's are worth it IMO and look around for discount codes.

Both the R1 and Magic5 have that tilt on the lens that give amazing sighthing and open water sighting characteristics. The Magic5 has a 3D printed edge that fits your face... makes a world of difference for those of us that have a hard time getting goggles that won't leak or be comfortable for long periods of time.
Quote Reply
Re: Review for Magic5 Goggles [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
$70 for goggles? Seriously?
Quote Reply
Re: Review for Magic5 Goggles [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
1. not when on sale.
2. I have to replace them much less often than my $35 AquaSpheres goggles that I replaced every 3 months for last 2 decades. It's actually a cost saver for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:

Compared to half the money I spend on my bike or running shoes, I think I can swing $70 for something that's going to last me (they're well made) and be comfortable in the water. The eye sockets are made to fit your individual scan, hence the price.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:

I strongly second this opinion, but I know not everyone can get by with swedes. I also know there are about 40 options that exist between swedes and $70.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey, I'm another really happy customer! I was in the camp of "WTF $70 for goggles!?" but won a pair for free from my tri club, and immediately loved them. I have since bought two more pairs, as they were on sale, but I'm using the first pair still. I have a lot of trouble getting goggles to fit well ever since a bike accident where I broke my orbitals and had a plate installed, but these feel great and you can keep the straps way looser than others. They have pretty good seasonal sales, so it really pays to plan ahead rather than $70 each time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
very happy with mine. also, great customer support, supper impressive
just google it and you'll easily find a discount code
Quote Reply
Re: Review for Magic5 Goggles [dgutstadt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dgutstadt wrote:
very happy with mine. also, great customer support, supper impressive
just google it and you'll easily find a discount code

They are located in Charlotte, NC so I gave them a try since they are "local." I really like them, they fit my face well, they don't leak and I don't have to fasten then nearly as tightly to get a seal than my speedos. And they run sales all the time. I got 2 for 75.00 in 2 different tints, 35 ish bucks a pair isn't crazy. Like the case as well, I now don't just throw my goggles into my swim bag anymore.
Last edited by: opusTpenguin: Aug 14, 21 7:32
Quote Reply
Re: Review for Magic5 Goggles [jtplaysdrums] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jtplaysdrums wrote:
Hey, I'm another really happy customer! I was in the camp of "WTF $70 for goggles!?" but won a pair for free from my tri club, and immediately loved them. I have since bought two more pairs, as they were on sale, but I'm using the first pair still. I have a lot of trouble getting goggles to fit well ever since a bike accident where I broke my orbitals and had a plate installed, but these feel great and you can keep the straps way looser than others. They have pretty good seasonal sales, so it really pays to plan ahead rather than $70 each time.

I'm with the camp of these cost too much (retail), but in your situation, paying 70 makes sense-even tho you're not. I'm really happy with my TYR Nest Pro goggles for $15. However, I do like the idea of these goggles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Magic5 goggles are pretty comfortable. Took me a swim or two to get a handle on them. I was going back and forth on ordering them for a quite a while (this review was the deciding "add to cart" factor)

They are a bit expensive... Not FINIS Smart Goggle-expensive, or even Cobra Tri expensive, but pricey compared to my trusty Swedes and Speed Sockets. They are beautiful goggles, for whatever that is worth.

I also wouldn't race with them as I am neurotic about swim goggles getting jarred loose mid-race and prefer to wear my goggles on the overly snug-side when racing.

When tightening the Magic5's I also found that they were more prone to leaking, but they are a great training swim goggle once you get a handle on how tight (or rather, not tight) to wear them.

Semi-pro halfer...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My n=1:

Really liked the concept of the R1, but they just didn't fit.

Speedo Vanquishers fit well but the gaskets are a bit form and uncomfortable.

The K180 (not the k180+) from MP (formerly from AquaSphere) are low profile and super comfortable. You can pick up a pair on Amazon for ~$15. Also on eBay ( https://www.ebay.com/itm/265410159151 )

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Review for Magic5 Goggles [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I WAS a HUGE fan of Magic 5 for years

Bought 7 pairs

Numerous reports that the goggles they are sending out in the last few months are bad

Fog on the first day

Shape of goggle is not even the same as it was a few months ago

Can’t get them to not leak

Asked for a refund and received it immediately with no requirement to send the most recent pair of goggles back

I think they know that something is wrong with their manufacturing
Quote Reply
Re: Review for Magic5 Goggles [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good when new, but the rubber detaches from the eye sockets after some months. I literally have a cut in 1 of the goggles and I did take care of them well.

I bought 3 goggles in a pack and all 3 have the exact same problem.

Not expecting goggles to last for decades, but ~1 year is too short. No refund for me.
Last edited by: VaselineChain: Aug 15, 23 23:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve had a few pairs and liked them at first. However, I developed a horrible allergy to the eyecup rubber after the goggles were maybe 6 months old. They are comfortable and don’t require as much pressure to stay sealed. I just stick with the tried and true inexpensive Speedo Vanquishers now.

I think the Magic5 is a good option if your eyes are sensitive to the typical pressure of goggles. Otherwise I think there are less expensive and equivalent options.
Quote Reply
Re: Review for Magic5 Goggles [VaselineChain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
VaselineChain wrote:
Good when new, but the rubber detaches from the eye sockets after some months. I literally have a cut in 1 of the goggles and I did take care of them well.

I bought 3 goggles in a pack and all 3 have the exact same problem.

Not expecting goggles to last for decades, but ~1 year is too short. No refund for me.

I've got the same issues; nose piece constantly detaches, they fog way too easily. Shouldn't happen for that cost especially since they haven't had much use.

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Re: Review for Magic5 Goggles [Xing triathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The $58-75 range on the price of goggles seems pretty exorbitant, but people swear by these and often buy more than one pair. I don’t think I’ve spent more than $200-225 total on all the goggles I’ve bought since 2000. I’ve sometimes been tempted to buy a pair, but it seems like a lot, especially since I don’t experience the problems these purport to fix. Maybe as I get older and the skin around my eyes gets thinner, I’ll consider a more custom fit, but honestly, I don’t have any problems with comfort now.

I graduated from college in 1994. I was on my college swim team, and before that, on Club teams back to 1980. The bulk of my annual mileage, probably in the range of 4000km/year for the six years of 1988-1994, had me in the water for training at least 20 hours/week, and much more in the summer. I alternated between the classics: Speedo Sprint, Hind Compy, and Malmsten (Swedish) goggles. I never paid more than $4/pair, and probably no more than $32/year (inflation-adjusted to $65 in 2023?). I also never had fit problems and the solution to fogging was spitting/licking and rinsing. I still swim, but not as much, though I’ve had 1000km years as recently as 4 years ago, and 9+ mile OW swims as recently as 4 years ago, all with inexpensive goggles.

I guess I shouldn’t really have a problem with how people spend their money, and honestly, if finding comfort makes swimming something that is enjoyed and practiced more often, I’m in support. I’m just going to look for less expensive models that I’ve had success with and hope I can see 1000km in a year again soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
benleg wrote:

My previous pair were ROKA R2's. Someone nabbed them out of transition at Boulder 70.3 this year (they were mirrored too). Really liked those...but had to replace them now. Tried Magic 5's using their "Summer Bundle" deal where you get 3 different pair for one large dump of cash.

The app took a few times to get it to work correctly, could be the lighting as I did it under a roof on my front porch. The communication from the stages they were at respect to received scan, off to printing, and shipping, were excellent.
The goggles themselves cause a slight pressure pain on the right upper bone of my socket--and my wife has the same exact location/experience with her (which she got after I told her about the Magic 5's--so she could expect it on the credit card bill).

First swim and all since, they feel very minimal but they have not leaked. I don't have the straps tight either--quite loose for how I normally wear them. I used them at the Boulder Peak race and then US Nationals in MKE & they worked great except that little pain on the bone/eye socket upper right lens as mentioned--it's always there--possibly a scanning issue coupled with the printing.

Issues: The white frame/silver lens pair, has a nose piece it came with. One side would NOT stay clicked in. It just slid out and was not secure. I tried one of the other widths that came with it (4 in total), and it stayed clicked in. But none of them felt as good as the one it came with for comfort width wise. I contacted Magic 5, they apologized, and sent me not 1, but 6 replacements of both white and black color. I replaced the nosepiece and swam two times with that pair & the nosepiece completely BROKE. Yes, the brand new one I had just replaced. Not sure why just the white pair has been having issues with the nosepiece, good thing they sent 6 of them. But customer service was excellent I felt. The cheapo-plastic nosepiece not so excellent...if going to a race, I suggest you bring several extras to transition as I'm not sure the plastic is chlorine resistant for the nose piece and it could just get weak really fast when you need them at a race for open water.

All said & done, yes they are pricy, but if they ever last as long as my 8 year old Speed Vanquisher 2's I use only in the pool, it will be worth it. Not sure how long these are supposed to last though--remains to be seen.
Quote Reply

Prev Next