Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Rim Tape Installation
Quote | Reply
Short story: fl****d on new wheel/tube/tire combo in ~80 miles. Post mortem shows rim tape slipped and exposed about 3 spoke holes.

Now I'm paranoid, never having had this problem before (combination of Mavic Ksyrium wheels w/no spoke holes, plastic rim tape, etc). I remember during this particular install the cloth tape (although it has a sticky backing) did not adhere to the rim at all -- so I'm not surprised it shifted.

Should the fact that the tape doesn't adhere well to the rim raise a red flag? Are there brands that are better than others for adhesive? Other than this adhesive issue I like the cloth much better than the plastic.

----------------------------------------------------
Note to self: increase training load.
Quote Reply
Re: Rim Tape Installation [SignalStrength] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would say it's a red flag. I've pulled tape off 6 year old wheels that still have stickiness to them. I personally use Velox, because that's what the LBS has, but as long as it sticks it should be fine.

Quote | Reply
Velox is what I'm using. Maybe the stuff is just old from the LBS? I shouldn't have to scuff the bottom of the rim to get it to adhere I would think.

----------------------------------------------------
Note to self: increase training load.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gotta be something on the rim. Dirty? Oily? Try wiping it down with acetone first.

And I use the medium width Velox tape -- always covers the spoke holes with room to spare. The wide stuff is too wide, and often gets inthe way on the hook, but the medium is JUST right. Narrow often leaves the edges of the hole exposed (or the edges of the ferules, like on Mavic Open Pro's).

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello SignalStrength and All,

http://www.bti-usa.com/...earch=&showSec=1

Rim tape weighs about 16 grams per wheel, Velo Plugs (18) about 3 grams.

Unless the rim tape is very thin Velo Plug make tire changing easier.

Spoke holes on various wheels are different sizes and Velo Plugs are only one size. I had to sand the mold marks of some velo plugs to fit my Zipp 808's.

If the Velo Plugs are a very loose fit, put a dab of tubular cement on them with a toothpick.

Cheers,

Neal

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cloth velox tape drove me nuts on my last new wheelset. I used 1/2" packing tape, and its been fine ever since. Likely saved a few grams, too.

If I don't, who will? -Me
It's like being bipolar in opinion is a requirement around here. -TripleThreat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SignalStrength,

"I remember during this particular install the cloth tape (although it has a sticky backing) did not adhere to the rim at all -- so I'm not surprised it shifted." Just surprised that a flat tire was the consequence?

There's a reason why many cyclists and mechanics use Velox rim tape. Because its the best! Install it correctly and then forget about it. It will do the rest the way it is supposed to.

Now you can save some rotational weight by using thinner tape (lighter in weight) or money (very little for as cheap as rim tape is) by purchasing some cheap a@@ brand X rim tape. But what does it mean when you are sitting on the side of the road with a flat 80 miles into your 112 mile ride? Is it really worth it to risk your entry fee, travel expense, loding , meals, etc. on some cheap a@@ rim tape?

This is one of those places where it should be done right in the first place or don't complain or be surprised about it later.

Ben Cline

Better to aspire to Greatness and fail, than to not challenge one's self at all, and succeed.
Quote Reply
Re: Rim Tape Installation [Wants2rideFast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My lbs was closed and I thought I would just use electrical tape as I wanted to ride. 10 min and 2 flats later I had to go for a run instead.

Never skimp on rim tape, ketchup, or diapers.
Quote Reply