Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ron Ultron disc
Quote | Reply
Dear Triathlete friends,

do you have an opinion on the new Ron Ultron disc wheel?
The front 2-spoke Ultron has been discussed in this forum, where the Ron Aeron X seemed to be judged favourably.

The Ultron is wider and designed for 28 or 30 mm tyres.

It is not cheap at 1400€.

What do you think?
Is it better than the Aeron X, and what disc wheels does it compete with?
Quote Reply
Re: Ron Ultron disc [Trigepard57] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trigepard57 wrote:
Dear Triathlete friends,

do you have an opinion on the new Ron Ultron disc wheel?
The front 2-spoke Ultron has been discussed in this forum, where the Ron Aeron X seemed to be judged favourably.

The Ultron is wider and designed for 28 or 30 mm tyres.

It is not cheap at 1400€.

What do you think?
Is it better than the Aeron X, and what disc wheels does it compete with?

I have the Aeron x and it's very good for the value. Not sure of the Ultron vs it but they make good wheels I have had two different sets and clients have bough as well no issues for any of us.

The prices have gone up the last few years though as I got the disc and a 88 front for much less then they cost now.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Ron Ultron disc [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks a lot!

I am still hoping for an opinion on the Ultron disc. Any reason to believe that it is faster than the Aeron X?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As an owner of the current AeronX disc and also the Ultron front. My interest peaked when they announced the Ultron disc.

If they start saying it’s x watts faster than the AeronX I will smile - as a disc is a disc and would assume there isn’t much between them.. in the real world. Only reason to go for the Ultron is if you can / wanted to run 30mm tyres I would think. The Aeron x takes 28mm no issues thou!

One thing to consider…. It’s still a spoked wheel under the skin!!! this really disappointed me. Still not a ‘full carbon’ wheel

Regards, Richard
Quote Reply
Re: Ron Ultron disc [thetrickster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your reply.

I don't think that I need 30 mm, as I am pretty happy with 25 mm on my 60 mm wheels.

Are all discs really equal? There must be a reason that most pros ride certain discs, apart of sponsorship.

Does the spoke structure change speed characteristics?

If I run a 60 mm wheel with a 25 mm tyre in front, and a disc with 28 mm in the rear, both being tubeless, should I in general use different pressures?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most discs are similar, but there are differences between a lenticular disc and a flat disc. My understanding is that the lenticular discs tend to be faster, although flat discs may be better on frames that shield the rear wheel.

You may find you'd want to run a 28mm tire on the rear. If it fits well with your wheel, that's an even bigger plus, and a little extra compliance can help maintain even power on rough roads. You should definitely run different pressures. I'd start with measuring the mounted tire width on your wheels and using silca's pressure calculator.

There's no aero difference between a spoked and solid carbon disc. Some think the solid disc is more premium, they do tend to be lighter. A spoked disc may be more compliant, although IMO if you're running a 28mm tire at the appropriate pressure you probably won't feel a difference.
Quote Reply
Re: Ron Ultron disc [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For me, as the obvious and most important part of a disc wheel is the wosh wosh sound, there is no way I would buy a spoked wheel.
Quote Reply