Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Sebi going out at Cozumel
Quote | Reply
Hopefully he has the race he’ll be satisfied going out with. I came into triathlon when he was at his peak and I always liked him.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Sebi going out at Cozumel [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool, I am doing Cozumel. It will be great to watch him compete.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same here. Nothing like Sebi lighting up the bike course to win the race.
Although the Discontinued Video series has an uber depressive feel to it haha.
Good luck to Sebi!
Quote Reply
Re: Sebi going out at Cozumel [thatzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thatzone wrote:
Same here. Nothing like Sebi lighting up the bike course to win the race.
Although the Discontinued Video series has an uber depressive feel to it haha.
Good luck to Sebi!

No way he could win the race, but I’m truly hoping for him to: a) have a good race, b) get a podium.

Also, the huragan / wet seasons has been a bit longer in the Caribbean this year, let’s see how it affects the race day conditions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've always liked him too, he'll be around the sport for awhile yet i'd think, commentating or something. good luck in coz sebbi!

http://www.PatGriskusTri.com USAT Certified Race Director
2024 Races: USAT State of CT Age Group Championship/State of CT HS Champs/ CT Club Championship - Sat June 15th (Oly/Du/Sprint) Hopkins Vineyard Tri at Lake Waramaug Saturday July 13th http://www.HopkinsVineyardTri.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amazing video, and I feel with him in "not really able to letting go". Seems very hard for him, which I totally understand. What a great and real athlete!

Proud and happy to race with him in Cozumel next week.

Anybody knows if there is a list of all Pros racing Cozumel?
Quote Reply
Re: Sebi going out at Cozumel [Mulen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
id love to see him smash out one last vintage performance - i think his chances look OK against that field.

the video series has been fascinating - definitely transparent, and really carefully put together. agree that it's been a bit downbeat but maybe that really reflects his ambivalence about retiring.

i have to say, of all the ways you could end a career, i really like his approach. a 'world tour' of bucket list races, some charity work, and a great documentary for it all.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Sebi going out at Cozumel [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree - the French top is strong, and Michael Weiss is there too... gosh! Wurf could be in contention too.

Dede Grisbauer racing - as a Pro ?

iron_mike wrote:
id love to see him smash out one last vintage performance - i think his chances look OK against that field.

the video series has been fascinating - definitely transparent, and really carefully put together. agree that it's been a bit downbeat but maybe that really reflects his ambivalence about retiring.

i have to say, of all the ways you could end a career, i really like his approach. a 'world tour' of bucket list races, some charity work, and a great documentary for it all.
Quote Reply
Re: Sebi going out at Cozumel [Mulen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duathlon. Bummer!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has the race started? I think it should have started 2 hours ago, but ironman app showing that it has not started.
Quote Reply
Re: Sebi going out at Cozumel [Island] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Delayed due to choppy sea and then the swim was cancelled. I am assuming it was a TT start which means the tracker is nonsense - it is showing some pro men as taking 24+ mins to do the first 5.7 miles with all of them showing an 08:45:31 start time.

When they do this is it 10 second gaps?
Last edited by: The_Exile: Nov 19, 23 6:12
Quote Reply
Re: Sebi going out at Cozumel [The_Exile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The_Exile wrote:
Delayed due to choppy sea and then the swim was cancelled. I am assuming it was a TT start which means the tracker is nonsense - it is showing some pro men as taking 24+ mins to do the first 5.7 miles with all of them showing an 08:45:31 start time.

When they do this is it 10 second gaps?
Phone tracker gives 13:27 for Astle for 9km: seems reasonable (40kph) and 48kph for Keinle and Chevalier. No idea if a mass start or at xx second intervals.
Quote Reply
Re: Sebi going out at Cozumel [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also showing a number of male pros sub 25kmph so I am assuming there was gaps unless they are riding a unicycle.
Quote Reply
Re: Sebi going out at Cozumel [Island] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sebi currently second. I had to search as swim time was not there. Due to cold front and wind, they canceled swim. :(

He always had flat forearms on the bike, so I thought it was weird when everyone has higher hands but after watching LS’s aero test video, now I know he was onto something. Hope he’s race goes well!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Sebi going out at Cozumel [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm just so thankful that I got to be a triathlete in the first two decades of the sport, not one swim was shortened or cancelled in those 20 years. Todays environment is virtually a crapshoot whether you get a swim or not, or a cut one at the least. Not sure what happened, we had shitty swimmers back in the day, they just didnt get to finish hard races.

And way more people die these days too, but that certainly could be a numbers thing. But people die in TT starts even, so perhaps the extra numbers are just that particular demographic that seems to be having heart issues in the swims. But now we all pay the price for this new fear, and doing a proper triathlon is not guaranteed when you put your money down..

Did my first Tri in 11 years last month, sprint race with a 500 yd swim, and it got cut right before the race!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Sebi going out at Cozumel [The_Exile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://track.rtrt.me/...ro-men-ironman/BIKE7
Keinle and Chevalier still 'locked horns' with Wurf and Weiss less than 3 minutes back. Weiss and Chevalier evenly matched on the run, I'd say.
Quote Reply
Re: Sebi going out at Cozumel [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I'm just so thankful that I got to be a triathlete in the first two decades of the sport, not one swim was shortened or cancelled in those 20 years. Todays environment is virtually a crapshoot whether you get a swim or not, or a cut one at the least. Not sure what happened, we had shitty swimmers back in the day, they just didnt get to finish hard races.

And way more people die these days too, but that certainly could be a numbers thing. But people die in TT starts even, so perhaps the extra numbers are just that particular demographic that seems to be having heart issues in the swims. But now we all pay the price for this new fear, and doing a proper triathlon is not guaranteed when you put your money down..

Did my first Tri in 11 years last month, sprint race with a 500 yd swim, and it got cut right before the race!!!!

I hear you but if too many athletes need help with hypothermia and exhaustion from cold and high wind especially in the ocean, volunteers won’t be able to get there fast to enough to save them. Ironman has been in the business long enough to know what they are doing, so I would just go with the flow. Everyone is racing in the same condition so you got nothing to lose.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What happened? In no particular order:

The professionalization of the industry, acceptable standards of swim safety were developed, and overall risk tolerance.

We can either be a big sport, or we can put on swims that aren't safe enough for the athletes that show up on race day.

We can't have both.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Sebi going out at Cozumel [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everyone is racing in the same condition so you got nothing to lose. //

Well not really. Many prepared for a "triathlon" and they were robbed of those conditions. So all of those folks(which would be most in the race) were robbed of the thing that they trained for and paid their money to do. Like I said, we had shitty conditions too, same as today, and often over 50% of the field did not finish the swim. Somehow we managed to get all those people safely to shore, most self rescued at some point getting to a paddler, boat, or just heading back to shore.

I put on over 60 triathlons back in the day, and I would say that 85% of the rescues or abondonments happened in the first 300 yards or so. Then the rest were easily managed by the rescue personnel through the course..I imagine it is the same today, those that egos were bigger than their capabilities are quickly show the door out..
Quote Reply
Re: Sebi going out at Cozumel [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We can't have both.//

This is the kind of thinking that got us here, so thanks for pointing that out. Funny how we cancel AG swims but then let the pros swim in the same venues, so apparently we can have both, but that requires out of the box thinking, which as you have shown is not an option...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep in mind that the vast majority of the time (at least when talking about IRONMAN), the decision isn't the race director's to make. It's the local safety authority (whether that's fire / rescue, police, depends on where it is). If they say it's a no go, it's a no go.

Had this exact conversation in Lake Placid this year about who owns the decision regarding a swim cancellation.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
acceptable standards of swim safety were developed//

And what exactly are these standards you speak of? Because I see races with no white caps and fairly tame get cancelled or shortened, and some that are truly rough water swims continue. Seems to me there is "NO" standard, and it is willy nilly on who gets the axe and who doesnt. I guess the imperative back in the day that race directors had to put on the actual race they planned on, was a lot stronger. We prepared for the worst most the time, and if it happened, were ready to handle it. No shirking of responsibility, we made the calls about our races, and cancelling swims was just not a thing, so never considered...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On another note, is there anyway now that we know how Sebi is doing in the race, or anyone for that matter?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply

Prev Next