Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Skipper shitting all over SRAM
Quote | Reply
Anyone watch his latest video?
Quote Reply
Re: Skipper shitting all over SRAM [Pwraddr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd definitely enjoy having a beer with Joe. Maybe he had a few before he started talking about SRAM :-)

Quote Reply
Re: Skipper shitting all over SRAM [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Truth on both!

Also thanks for the video, I’m unsure how to do it.
Last edited by: Pwraddr: Feb 25, 24 14:39
Quote Reply
Re: Skipper shitting all over SRAM [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha, so will this be on the next social media rounds for Shimano.

Why Shimano? Cue Skipper

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Skipper shitting all over SRAM [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recall at Nice he was having issues with a 2x set up. SRAM was sending him parts. Seems still had issues.

I could be wrong, but I think I saw this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pwraddr wrote:
I recall at Nice he was having issues with a 2x set up. SRAM was sending him parts. Seems still had issues.

I could be wrong, but I think I saw this.
You are correct. He still blames his bike for the terrible ride he had that day.
Quote Reply
Re: Skipper shitting all over SRAM [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:

Why Shimano? Cue Skipper

Yeah, before he raves about Shimano over SRAM, maybe he should try the Shimano power meter…

DOn’t get me wrong, I love my Shimano shifting, but you could not pay me enough to switch to a Shimano power meter over my SRAM (Quarq) power meter. He might want to think about his complaint there a bit. He sounds a bit stupid to people who know the real deal on power meters vis a vis SRAM/Shimano. Now, if he had an issue on that ride with shifting and was railing on how much better Shimano was than SRAM, it would make more sense.
Quote Reply
Re: Skipper shitting all over SRAM [ryans] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He did both in the video. Started based off the 2x shifting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. His pm dropouts was probably more due to the watch and not the pm.

2. Shimano pm might be the worst pm out there

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another fully warranted dump on Sram:

Sram chain apparently only compatible with Sram cassette/chain ring

Sram chainring only available in sizing for sram crank

Sram cassette only available in XDR drive.

Once somebody buys a Sram bike they are locked into Sram wheels, cranks, chain, cassette, and chainring. Also important, all of these items are more expensive then Shimano's and have near zero aftermarket availability.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love me some sram but not for tri. Di2 is superior.

My Strava | My Instagram | Summerville, SC | 35-39 AG | 4:41 (70.3), 10:05 (140.6) | 3x70.3, 1x140.6 | Cat 2 Cyclist
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOL. Although I think poor Joe needs someone to keep him company on his long rides to avoid the mind wandering to having a pint with either groupset. He seems very lonely (I am joking, insert your own pink formatting).

On a techincal point, not sure why he didn't leave the Edge still recording in his back pocket.
Quote Reply
Re: Skipper shitting all over SRAM [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My only opinion of Sram is based on the fact that I see various big name pros having issues that I've never had and they all happen touse Sram. So I don't have a good opinion of it.

That said, when it comes to Joe, he seems to get lost a lot or have a lot of bad breaks. Like a lot of them. Which leads me to believe he's kind of... I don't know how to put it... But there's just something about Joe Skipper that's a bit dumbfounding.
Quote Reply
Re: Skipper shitting all over SRAM [Lurker4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lurker4 wrote:
My only opinion of Sram is based on the fact that I see various big name pros having issues that I've never had and they all happen touse Sram. So I don't have a good opinion of it.

That said, when it comes to Joe, he seems to get lost a lot or have a lot of bad breaks. Like a lot of them. Which leads me to believe he's kind of... I don't know how to put it... But there's just something about Joe Skipper that's a bit dumbfounding.

Don't worry, his luck is all changed for the better. The Spiritual Significance of Bird Poop: Myth or Reality? | HowStuffWorks
Quote Reply
Re: Skipper shitting all over SRAM [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mathematics wrote:

Once somebody buys a Sram bike they are locked into Sram wheels, cranks, chain, cassette, and chainring. Also important, all of these items are more expensive then Shimano's and have near zero aftermarket availability.

untrue.

I've had a sram bike with an fsa crank & all 3 of my sram tri bikes I've used with HED wheels.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Skipper shitting all over SRAM [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
mathematics wrote:

untrue.

I've had a sram bike with an fsa crank & all 3 of my sram tri bikes I've used with HED wheels.

I took some vernier calipers to Sram and Shimano/Kmc chains. Sram is 7.9mm and Shimano/KMC is 7.7mm. Not going more than 0.1mm on plastic verniers. Not staying out won't work to a point, just that the oversized ruleeis going to introduce complications (such as accelerated wear, which may be offset by buying a more expensive Sram cassette/wheel/crankset).

The whole thing just reeks of market cornering.
Quote Reply
Re: Skipper shitting all over SRAM [ryans] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ryans wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:

Why Shimano? Cue Skipper

Yeah, before he raves about Shimano over SRAM, maybe he should try the Shimano power meter…

DOn’t get me wrong, I love my Shimano shifting, but you could not pay me enough to switch to a Shimano power meter over my SRAM (Quarq) power meter. He might want to think about his complaint there a bit. He sounds a bit stupid to people who know the real deal on power meters vis a vis SRAM/Shimano. Now, if he had an issue on that ride with shifting and was railing on how much better Shimano was than SRAM, it would make more sense.

Yeah. I just bought a new SpeedMax and they sent it with a Shimano Power Meter instead of the Rotor crankset. The Rotor isn’t much better but no way was I going to keep the Shimano on there. Glad they worked with me to replace it as advertised. I don’t know how there isn’t a huge lawsuit against Shimano at this point. Everything else is amazing but don’t release something if it simply doesn’t do the one thing it is meant to do!!! Especially when your world tour riders are so vocal about the PM being crap.

I’d like to try SRAM one day but not on a tri bike. I need things to shift like butter, save watts, and shift right every single time.
Quote Reply
Re: Skipper shitting all over SRAM [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mathematics wrote:

Dunno if it's the case with 12 speed components, but 11 speed Sram was 100% compatible with Shimano.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Skipper shitting all over SRAM [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In my experience it is also true for 12-speed. I have a non-sram; x1 chainring, chain (Shimano) and cassette (Shimano) and all runs great with a 12-speed force AXS rear derailleur...
Quote Reply
Re: Skipper shitting all over SRAM [Lurker4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lurker4 wrote:

there is one, and only one, problem with SRAM: the chain is not entirely immune from derailing from the chainring during a front derailleur shift. shimano has, and always has had, a strong edge on SRAM on FD shifting. but the gap has narrowed on that, and the derailing issue is the one thing. not speed of shift or shift under power or chain rub. just the potential for a dropped chain. so run a chain catcher.

i didn't see joe's comments about SRAM, so this isn't directed toward joe, but anybody: if you prefer shimano, run shimano. if you prefer SRAM, run SRAM. i run both and i love both. if you feel the need to publicly rant against either groupset, it only shows what an idiot you are.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Skipper shitting all over SRAM [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i didn't see joe's comments about SRAM, so this isn't directed toward joe, but anybody: if you prefer shimano, run shimano. if you prefer SRAM, run SRAM. i run both and i love both. if you feel the need to publicly rant against either groupset, it only shows what an idiot you are.

😂😂😂😂

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Re: Skipper shitting all over SRAM [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Despite all their efforts, SRAM simply unable to slow down Visma Lease-a-bike. Vingegaard 3 stage wins and the GC in Portugal. Tratnik and Wout at OHN. Even Movistar (Movistar!) getting into the action at Kuurne Brussels Kuurne with Lazkano sneaking onto the podium with Wout.

In the women's ONH it was even worse for Shimano (and that other 3rd one whose name escapes me). Top 4. The GOAT Marianne Vos, followed by Kopecky, and then two LIDL-Trek riders. All SRAM.
Quote Reply
Re: Skipper shitting all over SRAM [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Despite all their efforts, SRAM simply unable to slow down Visma Lease-a-bike. Vingegaard 3 stage wins and the GC in Portugal. Tratnik and Wout at OHN. Even Movistar (Movistar!) getting into the action at Kuurne Brussels Kuurne with Lazkano sneaking onto the podium with Wout.

In the women's ONH it was even worse for Shimano (and that other 3rd one whose name escapes me). Top 4. The GOAT Marianne Vos, followed by Kopecky, and then two LIDL-Trek riders. All SRAM.

So far this year, Jonas, Kuss and van Aert have been largely on 1x. (edit: this past weekend entire Jumbo team on 2x https://escapecollective.com/...a-lease-a-bike-show/)

having been a 1x roadie and TT rider for some time, I'm hoping we see some innovation on the 1x front with SRAM's soon to be released updated Red group.

Personally, I think an updated Campy Super Record groupset (less than a year from its poorly received release) that would compliment their successful Ekar group could have a 1x option with a focus on efficiency: Made to remove the FD and be 1x ready with a 13s rear cassette. The 2x cassette has a 12t smallest cog and an insanely tight cluster. The 1x set up: 58t x 11-12-13-14-15-16-18-22-27-32-38-44-50t The 58x11t is about equivalent to a 53x10t, and the 58x50t is about equivalent to a 39x34t.

As for Joe's video, nice Wove shoutout 6:26 in.

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Last edited by: milesthedog: Feb 26, 24 9:38
Quote Reply
Re: Skipper shitting all over SRAM [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
that would compliment their successful Ekar group could have a 1x option with a focus on efficiency:

I was joking about Campy, but as a fan of mechanical when off road (I'm electronic in TT and road, mechanical gravel and MTB), I gazed longer and harder at the new 13sp Ekar mechanical group than I ever have at a Campy group. I'll mostly likely go GRX 12-speed if I get something new. But that Ekar looks nice.
Quote Reply
Re: Skipper shitting all over SRAM [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In my entire career, I never had a single mechanical. I dropped two chains - once in 2007 on Shimano and once in 2011 on SRAM. Both were my fault - shifting front rings under high power.

I was - and am - an avowed 1X rider. I started discussions with Zipp/SRAM about 1x for TT in 2010/11. I still have a spreadsheet I drafted up for them with my ideal gear ratios (assuming 1x10). But even when I rode 2x, I never had a problem with SRAM, which I rode (in 2x) from 2009 - 2015.

I'm not willing to say it's *always* user error, but it's *probably* user error. Blaming your equipment is very poor form.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply

Prev Next