Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swim cancelled - monty special
Quote | Reply
http://www.lequipe.fr/...u-5-km-reportee.html

Too much wind at the Open water swim world champ. forced the organizers to postpone the 5km events...
Quote Reply
Re: Swim cancelled - monty special [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
English language reports are that the waves (and possibly lightning) were bad enough to destroy the starting dock and timing system set up there, and that they're scrambling to rebuild those things in a location where the waves wouldn't take them out again.

Swimming World has a couple of damage pictures:

http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/...ostponed%20in%20Rome

Quote:
Overnight, the constant 2-4 foot surf destroyed the pier near the start, leaving heavy bits of flotsam in the course. The steel structure of the Omega open water timing system that sits on floating pontoons was washed ashore in a twisted heap. The elaborate 7-camera television setup by Rai TV for a live high-definition broadcast of the 5K, 10K and 25K races was being removed from the shoreline by the production crews as the surf continued to pound the beach.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim cancelled - monty special [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But WWMD?
Quote Reply
Re: Swim cancelled - monty special [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like there was a ton of big shit in the water, so I do not fault them for waiting until they can get that crap out of there. As for the wind and waves, any lifeguard race I've ever done would have gone on, no question. But of course we would just be doing a mile or less, and the sight of that ocean would get us excited, not scared. We dream of days like that to race in, check out some of the old Aussie comps on youtube. I have a couple videos of 10ft plus surf, and I mean real 10ft, which sports about 15 to 18ft faces. Broken skis, boats everywhere, but no thought of cancelling. ANd the swimmers and paddlers handle it no problem.

I hope they get the water cleaned up, and still have some weather there. Makes for a much more exciting race, and I'll bet it is Lifeguards that take it to the podium..Just a different breed than your usual OW swimmer. You know this thread is lodged among al these TDF threads, and it is funny that the announcer(Craig Hummer) would crush a swim under those conditions. In his mid 40's probably be fighting for the podium too....

But thanks for the heads up there Frenchie, and answer to your question, "Monty would go"....

I haven't got to do much OW swimming lately, but a friend of mine is doing the Catalina channel this summer, so I went up to SF to do a couple swims with him. We swam across the SF harbor one day, victory at sea, swirling currents, and a balmy 60 degrees. Took 1;17, but made it from Tiburon to the beach just under the south side of the Golden Gate. No wetsuits of course..
Quote Reply
Re: Swim cancelled - monty special [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Monty...I think you would enjoy Superfrog! : )

-

B.Oliver -My Blog...triguywithavx.wordpress.com