Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Tell me it's OK to take a break
Quote | Reply
For months now I have been training on average 5 days a week (sometimes only 4 because I just can't squeeze it in working 3x12). So I just finished a 70.3 a couple weeks ago and it's cold here now. I really want to just chill for a week or two but feel guilty if I don't work out on my days off. I feel like I should take a few days off just to recover but then I worry about losing ground in my training.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me it's OK to take a break [VegasJen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most off-seasons include time off + “unstructured” workouts. Mental rest is as important as physical recovery for athletes.

Take some time away until you get the itch to get back at it. And you’ll know when you get the hunger back for it! May be a few weeks May take month+ timeframe. This is fun after all.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s ok to take a break. Really, it is.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me it's OK to take a break [Robert Preston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know I should. I just don't feel like I can let up. I already have my first of the season scheduled in early March followed by another a month later. Fortunately, they're both just sprints so it shouldn't be hard to at least stay at that level.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
VegasJen wrote:
I know I should. I just don't feel like I can let up. I already have my first of the season scheduled in early March followed by another a month later. Fortunately, they're both just sprints so it shouldn't be hard to at least stay at that level.

if you burn out it does not help , the key to performance is to do it many years , its the long term consistency that matters not 2 years flat out and then stop as it is too much,
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me it's OK to take a break [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
Most off-seasons include time off + “unstructured” workouts. Mental rest is as important as physical recovery for athletes.

Take some time away until you get the itch to get back at it. And you’ll know when you get the hunger back for it! May be a few weeks May take month+ timeframe. This is fun after all.
Yeah, this guy nailed it.

Think of days off as (really) long rest between intervals.

Seriously, holidays are stressful for many...
The extra time can be used for things you usually don't have to deal with; worrying about missed workouts adds stress, but, that's a choice. Let the few workouts you do be devoid of the usual goals, make them about de-stress, fresh air and appreciation of being able to do it.
Smile.
Enjoy the journey (the destination ain't goin' anywhere)

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It depends on what kind of person you are. I hate losing my base fitness and the frustration when I try to gain my fitness back as it was. That makes me very unhappy so I just keep training. I feel better mentally that way too. Find out what kind person you are and act accordingly. Everyone is different.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I may take some time off when traveling and usually run then but not running all the time and older has me running pretty slow. I train all the time and in the winter just try to maintain my fitness and turn to fun workouts such as playing in the snow with my fat bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stop biking and running and just swim ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you take time off after your race? A season break is normal, even for professional triathletes. 1-2 weeks completely off. Then 1-2 weeks of unstructured training. If you haven't taken any time off then, yes, take 2 weeks and train when you feel like it. Don't do any hard sessions if you want to do a session. But let your body & mind recover. It's December. You have all winter/spring to get ready for whatever's next. No need to feel guilty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Absolutely OK to take a break. I did a lot of bicycle racing back in the 70's and early 80's in New York, and pretty much couldn't ride outside in the winter - too much snow and ice on the roads. We always thought the riders down south would have a huge advantage, since they could train year round. That never happened. Basically, you can't train at a high level all the time - you actually need the break mentally.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
VegasJen wrote:

Then understand this, it’s not just ok, but I believe the best way to maximize next year’s performance will be to dial it back now. As noted above, you will gain both physical and mental benefits.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Dec 18, 23 5:20
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me it's OK to take a break [Hanginon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hanginon wrote:
you actually need the break mentally.

It's not just mentally, though. There are physical benefits: resetting hormone levels, letting little niggles/wear-and-tear heal up, etc. In the long run taking a post-season break can make you faster.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me it's OK to take a break [ClayDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ClayDavis wrote:

It's not just mentally, though. There are physical benefits: resetting hormone levels, letting little niggles/wear-and-tear heal up, etc. In the long run taking a post-season break can make you faster.

I have a hard time believing someone training 5 times a week needs to reset hormone levels
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you love going out and training? Is it ingrained into your social structure? Are you going to be bored without it? Are you only pushing thru because you're afraid of losing fitness?

I don't think that's whats happening on this volume, but a lot of athletes have their training intertwined with their social lives. I see friends on bike rides way more often than any other time. My offseason is usually a few weeks of easy training with friends when I feel like it.

You don't have to take time off. You don't have to keep training. If your winter training is adequate you won't notice a difference come spring time. A lot of people report a renewed vigor to get into training after a break, how long that vigor lasts is variable too. Dedication will always beat motivation.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me it's OK to take a break [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've seen more people burn out 6 months later after "I dont need/want an offseason" than I have the other way around of taking an off season, gaining a few pounds (the horror), losing "fitness" (as if you can't get it back) and then restarting when the mind/body is ready to go.

Especially for AG athletes, when thoughts of wanting to take a break creep in, you aren't going to overcome that becuase your going to be "dedicated" imo. So in the case of the OP who's basicaly wanting others to tell him it's ok to take a break, take the fucking break.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Dec 18, 23 6:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Totally ok. It is good to take breaks when you want to and not because you got hurt and have to. Chill away. When you decide you want to train again it will feel really good. Yes, you will feel a little out of shape but it will come back, probably quicker than you think

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could also try different forms of exercise and see how that makes you feel.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Re: [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
It depends on what kind of person you are. I hate losing my base fitness and the frustration when I try to gain my fitness back as it was. That makes me very unhappy so I just keep training. I feel better mentally that way too. Find out what kind person you are and act accordingly. Everyone is different.
I'm like that. I try to explain to people I'm naturally a lazy person so it's very easy for a couple days off to turn into a week off that turns into a couple weeks off that turns into a month off. Then getting back into it after that just feels like starting all over from the very beginning.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me it's OK to take a break [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
Stop biking and running and just swim ?
Harder option for me. No pools open locally so I've been going out to Lake Mead once every week or two. It's getting pretty cold out there but I do have a full length wetsuit. But from where I live, that's almost 100 miles each way. Pretty far to just go swimming once a week.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me it's OK to take a break [dcpinsonn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcpinsonn wrote:
Did you take time off after your race? A season break is normal, even for professional triathletes. 1-2 weeks completely off. Then 1-2 weeks of unstructured training. If you haven't taken any time off then, yes, take 2 weeks and train when you feel like it. Don't do any hard sessions if you want to do a session. But let your body & mind recover. It's December. You have all winter/spring to get ready for whatever's next. No need to feel guilty.
I kind of took time off. I already planned two days off (from work) after, and then I worked two days. But I was called off work on day 3 so I restarted with some light duty on my elliptical. Ever since, it's been a work out every day I haven't worked. But it's been slow at work so I have been shorted days which means I'm back to training 4-5 days a week.

But I haven't done any killer sessions since my 70.3. I've tried to tone them down but I'm one of those people who will set a pace goal before I start, but the deeper I get into it the harder I will push myself. It's just in my nature. I can't help it.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me it's OK to take a break [jollyroger88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jollyroger88 wrote:
ClayDavis wrote:

I have a hard time believing someone training 5 times a week needs to reset hormone levels
My hormone levels are set by my endocrinologist! <lol>
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me it's OK to take a break [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mathematics wrote:
Do you love going out and training? Is it ingrained into your social structure? Are you going to be bored without it? Are you only pushing thru because you're afraid of losing fitness?

I don't think that's whats happening on this volume, but a lot of athletes have their training intertwined with their social lives. I see friends on bike rides way more often than any other time. My offseason is usually a few weeks of easy training with friends when I feel like it.

You don't have to take time off. You don't have to keep training. If your winter training is adequate you won't notice a difference come spring time. A lot of people report a renewed vigor to get into training after a break, how long that vigor lasts is variable too. Dedication will always beat motivation.
I think it's more about losing fitness. For one thing, I freely admit my diet is pretty much $#!+. OK, so I don't eat Big Macs and suck down Frosties all day long, but I definitely eat and drink a lot of crap I really shouldn't. Sugar is my one vice. Don't drink, don't smoke, don't gamble, don't do drugs, but dear God in heaven, I do love the sugar. This whole triathlon thing began originally just as 5Ks as a way to keep my weight in check, then it turned into 10Ks, then I started cycling. Then someone said, "hey, you should start swimming too." Next thing you know, Ironman.

It's not so much a social thing though. I live in a small town with an older demographic so it's uncommon for me to find people that share this interest. I do get some social interaction when the pool is open during the summer. But cycling and running, it's rare I run across anyone else, and so far as I know, there are literally only a handful that cycle at or above this level for miles.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me it's OK to take a break [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
You could also try different forms of exercise and see how that makes you feel.
Oh, I do other things. I also inline speed skate, free weights and have an elliptical. I need to get back into jumping rope though. I believe, or at least hope, that will help me on my runs.
Quote Reply
Re: Re: [VegasJen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
VegasJen wrote:
s13tx wrote:
I'm like that. I try to explain to people I'm naturally a lazy person so it's very easy for a couple days off to turn into a week off that turns into a couple weeks off that turns into a month off. Then getting back into it after that just feels like starting all over from the very beginning.

Exactly!!! I hate that feeling when I start back up after a break. My run pace and bike power used to be this and all of them faded away slowly!! I hate that feeling. I signed up 3 half marathon races in Dec, Jan & Feb, so I've been training for them no matter what. It feels great to see that my fitness is still there although I'm getting older with less activities during winter. Happiness I get from it is way more than happiness I get from taking a break, so that's me.
Quote Reply

Prev Next