Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The Official 2023-2024 100/100 Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i have chosen to remove a post painful for me to read. neither ryan nor i host this community but we will curate it.
Noted. Moving on....

Quote:
tom, you of course are a fully vested member not only here, but specifically in the 100/100. you put your whole heart into it ;-/

let us get back to business.

ryan, dev, do we start a new airing of the grievances thread? or are we just throwing it all into this one?

I'm 58 / 62 (ish) since 1 September. So, I'm in for whatever. I've registered for EJ's log, since he's been kind enough to keep my special trophy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowman wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:
Slowman wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:
i[/font wrote:
ronclm]Maybe we can all sing Kumbaya now?

I hate that song.

Can we not, and say we didn't? else, I might have more greviences.

i'm with you. let's all sing don't fear the reaper. with a lot of cowbell.

:-) now i have my music song seed for the treadmill tonight. we will see where youtube music takes it from there.

i just need to speed that song up from 71bpm to 90bpm and it's a great one for your cycling playlist.

on the cowbell thing, tho, the next time i'm spectating a race and they hand out cowbells i'm just going to break out in that song while banging that cowbell. i wonder how many will get it, and band their cowbells along with me.

I did start my TM run last night with that song, the playlist took a weird turn after that. I may need to turn down the "exploration sliders" a bit in the youtube-genius mode (i'm probably crossing some serious streams with that term).

Granted I didn't get on the TM until after 11pm. Sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do to get a run in, though. I'll consider it practice for full-on 100/100 mode.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Nov 2, 23 11:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i have chosen to remove a post painful for me to read. neither ryan nor i host this community but we will curate it. tom, you of course are a fully vested member not only here, but specifically in the 100/100. you put your whole heart into it ;-/

let us get back to business.

ryan, dev, do we start a new airing of the grievances thread? or are we just throwing it all into this one?

Well since my post was caught up in the removed group, I will have to again extend an invitation to the bourbon/whisky contingent of ST. I have enough of it to open my own shop.

And my grievance - I can't run! Though I am starting a walk/slowly shuffle program that I will not tell the knee replacement doc about.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: The Official 2023-2024 100/100 Thread: Airing of the Grievances Season is Here [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My grievance is this: every year this thing falls smack in the middle of my off-season. As much as consistent running is a recipe for success, I believe so is having a dedicated off-season where you purposefully de-load is just as critical in the long term. I realize that the challenge isn't for everyone so keep at it. Plus my run is still by far my strongest discipline so whatever I'm doing (consistent running, really) seems to be working.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will participating in this challenge earn me a spot to pay more to participate in another world championship only 100/100 challenge? Will there be roll downs if the top qualifiers don't accept? Will there be an equal number of roll downs for each gender, creating concerns of a watered down 100/100 championship?

And finally, will you sell me overpriced swag?

So many questions!
Quote Reply
Re: The Official 2023-2024 100/100 Thread [Lurker4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lurker4 wrote:
Will participating in this challenge earn me a spot to pay more to participate in another world championship only 100/100 challenge? Will there be roll downs if the top qualifiers don't accept? Will there be an equal number of roll downs for each gender, creating concerns of a watered down 100/100 championship?

And finally, will you sell me overpriced swag?

So many questions!

all that stuff. what you said.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: The Official 2023-2024 100/100 Thread [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
Well since my post was caught up in the removed group, I will have to again extend an invitation to the bourbon/whisky contingent of ST. I have enough of it to open my own shop.

And my grievance - I can't run! Though I am starting a walk/slowly shuffle program that I will not tell the knee replacement doc about.

Man....that would be great. I used to do a lot of business in NSH. My company has a division there, and used to frequent their site. But, its been a few years since I had need to go there.

Funny thing....on one of those trips we had time to head out to the Loveless Cafe. I was unaware of the Parthenon replica. On our way out to the cafe, we drove by it. We stopped there on our way back from breakfast. Pretty cool thing to go see.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would like again this year to push for only 1 run per day counting towards the 100 total to complete. No gaming the system with 3 runs a day to make your 3 miles per session look better than someone's single 12 mile run. Yet I would prefer a personal effort based reward on the leaderboard (runs count if they at with in 25% of your best 5k pace)... or some other way to sort leaders this year.. perhaps elevation?
Quote Reply
Re: The Official 2023-2024 100/100 Thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only problem with one run per day is that it doesn’t allow for “make ups.”

But I might be convinced that that’s the point—reward blunt force consistency versus trying to “make it up” and rewarding that behavior.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: The Official 2023-2024 100/100 Thread [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:

But I might be convinced that that’s the point—reward blunt force consistency versus trying to “make it up” and rewarding that behavior.

Doubles are a normal part of run training, so I would have an issue with limiting to 1x. I like the 3x limit. I think 3x is a reasonable to allow someone to catch up a bit, but I wouldn't care much if it were dropped to 2x.

I agreed with the limit, as I thought things got a little out of hand with the Bluestacks type efforts-----impressive as they were, it wasn't really the intent.

But, doubling is normal. And a reasonable amount of it, is an excellent way to improve run fitness, and resilience.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
I would like again this year to push for only 1 run per day counting towards the 100 total to complete. No gaming the system with 3 runs a day to make your 3 miles per session look better than someone's single 12 mile run. Yet I would prefer a personal effort based reward on the leaderboard (runs count if they at with in 25% of your best 5k pace)... or some other way to sort leaders this year.. perhaps elevation?

in my opinion, stipulating that i'm not the (only) decision maker, no way should we limit this to 1 a day. 2-a-days is a thing. it's not an outrageous game of the system. but a limit of 2, i think that's reasonable.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: The Official 2023-2024 100/100 Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
rrheisler wrote:

Doubles are a normal part of run training, so I would have an issue with limiting to 1x. I like the 3x limit. I think 3x is a reasonable to allow someone to catch up a bit, but I wouldn't care much if it were dropped to 2x.

I agreed with the limit, as I thought things got a little out of hand with the Bluestacks type efforts-----impressive as they were, it wasn't really the intent.

But, doubling is normal. And a reasonable amount of it, is an excellent way to improve run fitness, and resilience.

yeah, what he said...doubles on occasion are good and actually a very good way to get additional mileage in-especially when ramping up volume

rrheisler wrote:

and doubles done on a more consistent basis would allow for some make up to attain the realistic goal of 100/100

Perhaps the leader board can be maxed at some certain % of doubles like 125 max out of 100--just a thought...
Last edited by: dtoce: Nov 2, 23 15:02
Quote Reply
Re: The Official 2023-2024 100/100 Thread [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ya, have to agree that at "least" 2 a day should be the standard. And then maybe for folks like Bluestacks, there could be a high mileage type award too. Or even fastest pace for a given mileage too?? I mean if we are going to take away his 9 runs a day, got to throw him some kind of bone... (-;
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few personal bullet points

* I see too much focus on The Fucking Leaderboard; maybe competition is the only thing that gets people into shit like this?

Me? I take the name as it is written and call it "Challenge" not "Competition"

#MakeRunningWeirdAgain #MakeRunnersWeirdAgain

* My past Summer 100:100s, I've hit the 90+ range
Winter/ST 100/100, I usually come in high-70s/lo-80s
As I said, without a TM at home, my options are either Run Outside or get to the Gym; Gym bring the backup, which requires ... time-management; which I suck at

* Most mornings, D'Wife will say some flavor of "Good Morning" followed by "Did you run today?"

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: The Official 2023-2024 100/100 Thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the real challenge is running every day for a 100 days not just getting 100 runs in that amount of time. I completed 100 runs in a 100 days one of the years (not sure which) and I can recall there are days when you flat out don’t want to or can’t run due to work , family, your body, weather, etc. It’s those days when you power through and get ‘er done that gives you the satisfaction that we all crave when pursuing fitness goals and running every day no matter how far or fast for 100 days is what it’s all about IMO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
An open invitation anytime. Seriously. Mick Jagger is also a big fan of the Parthenon. He went there when they were here for their concert.

This is the overflow group.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: The Official 2023-2024 100/100 Thread [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dtoce wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:
rrheisler wrote:

yeah, what he said...doubles on occasion are good and actually a very good way to get additional mileage in-especially when ramping up volume

rrheisler wrote:

and doubles done on a more consistent basis would allow for some make up to attain the realistic goal of 100/100

Perhaps the leader board can be maxed at some certain % of doubles like 125 max out of 100--just a thought...

I don't know what the current wisdom is for single sport runners, but when I was just a runner, I literally had morning and evening runs Tue - Thu. Sat day off or single, Sunday long run, Mon Recovery run. If you add that up, this is 10 runs a week, so that would get you to 140/100.

A few years ago, went to a swim camp in Cancun with my masters squad, and we were on 2x per day every day to get to a >40,000m week.

I did the first year as "purist" 100 days in a row, but then thought that doubles are just part of normal single sport training and this would allow people to get introduced to the value of doubles that all single sport people do as part of their routine.

I thinking capping things at 2x per day is fine, and maybe even capping it so that there are on 3-4 doubles allowed per week is good.

Back to the airing of the grievances, I got home from a biz dinner at 11:20 pm and had to not yet run, so hit the treadmill at 11:30, did 23 min of jogging, and 100 pushups and some planks and was done the "exercise" by midnight and in bed 10 min later. I figure 100/100 is coming and needed to stop my excuse making. I barely covered my target 3.8km "Ironman swim distance run" that I promised above but it was better than nothing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
rrheisler wrote:

There are successful top runners who do not do doubles. A double can count to make up a run. So that is fair. All I'm asking for is no rewarding of those who get to 100 first and/or total number of runs. The leaderboard sort used to be by volume
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What I liked about the challenge leaderboard from last year (my first time doing the 100/100) was that you could organize the the list however you wanted. You could pick fastest, most runs completed, or most mileage.

At the end of the day though, it was entertaining trivia, the challenge part was my individual effort. Nobody knows but me what it took to get out the door everyday, and that’s okay.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:
rrheisler wrote:

There are successful top runners who do not do doubles. A double can count to make up a run. So that is fair.

There are successful runner who also double. What's your point? Its not a "makeup run" its a "run", plain and simple.

Quote:
All I'm asking for is no rewarding of those who get to 100 first and/or total number of runs. The leaderboard sort used to be by volume

Why do you care?

As Randmart pointed out....This is challenge, NOT A COMPETITION. Do you own thing, stop trying to compete with someone.

The rules get tweaked every year to encourage better running habits, not to make synthetic's competition "more fair". Again, this is not a race. The rules should enable and encourage newer runners to run more often, and reward them for accomplishing the spirit of the challenge. The rules should also accommodate more advanced runners so that those of us who can run once a day without issue, also have a way to challenge ourselves, too.

Doubling more often (if done right) can be very beneficial. So, if I want my personal challenge to be "double 3x per week" while running 6 days (for 9 total runs), there's nothing wrong with that. Maybe I run 9 miles in the morning, and 4 miles in the evening---that's a perfectly valid training plan, and worthy goal with real benefits. I'm not "gaming" the challenge to try and "beat" someone. I'm stretching MY limits, and using the framework of the challenge, and the camaraderie of the group dynamic to do so, and stay on target.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not replying to you specifically…just a general comment.

I find it annoying that you can get double credit just running the minimum mileage but a person running, let’s say, 6+ miles only gets credit for a single run.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official 2023-2024 100/100 Thread [JoelO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoelO wrote:
Not replying to you specifically…just a general comment.

I find it annoying that you can get double credit just running the minimum mileage but a person running, let’s say, 6+ miles only gets credit for a single run.

that is my point. and even tom hampton can go to the threads of past and see the praise all the multi single day runners got doing this challenge. It indeed became a competition. No I am not seeking praise for myself by asking for the rule change. Better yet, how about no ordered sort, just your name appears on the 'leaderboard' page when you complete 100 (and not seeing any other stats)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
As Randmart pointed out....This is challenge, NOT A COMPETITION. Do you own thing, stop trying to compete with someone.

Thanks, Tom

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have to go back. I was there, too.

Yes, they received recognition for the feat. Deservedly so. They were amazing!

But, they weren't really the real point of the challenge and it did sorta get out of hand. So, the rules were changed to limit multiples to 3x per day. Which I still think is just fine.

We also dropped the minimum run from 3miles /30min to 2/20. I didn't really like this one at first. Ryan and I argued about that one. But, it's grown on me and I see the value in a lower but still challenging bar to enable more participants to get up to running every, damn, day.

It leaves room for a normal single sport runner to do their thing... And maybe just a little extra. And it accommodates the new runner by giving them an attainable bar that is still challenging.

And yes, I like chasing the guy or gal in front of me... Just for good natured bragging rights.... Not the money, fame, or glory. (well maybe some glory)

ETA: Ya know.... If you started doing your deliveries on foot instead of bike... You could probably get 300/100 (or 345/115) and get all the money, fame, and glory. 😬
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Nov 3, 23 13:17
Quote Reply

Prev Next