Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Tri-Vets} You've been there, done that, and now __________
Quote | Reply
Use your own definition of what a Tri-Vet is.

For some it may be "I raced against Dave Scott"

For others, "I raced against Drew Scott."

Here's the question.

What are 3 things you no longer do as a triathlete?

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Tri-Vets} You've been there, done that, and now __________ [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Talk about triathlons
Talk about having done triathlons
Talk about triathlons I'm doing next

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Last edited by: RandMart: Feb 26, 24 18:06
Quote Reply
Re: Tri-Vets} You've been there, done that, and now __________ [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I no longer race wearing a midriff singlet and a speedo for the whole race. I’m still thinking about the 3rd thing I’ve given up……
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. I did race against Dave Scott in a pro field. It was close though, well, until about 150m into the swim anyway, then I got dropped. He has been dodging the rematch for almost 35 years now. I demand justice! (the reality was going 2:00:02 for an oly even back in 1989 was leaving you well off the back - being :03 from cracking 2h still irritates me)

2. I am no longer sponsored by Trek, Softride, Lemond bikes, or QR.

3. I no longer race triathlons due to injures

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Feb 26, 24 19:32
Quote Reply
Re: Tri-Vets} You've been there, done that, and now __________ [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't believe you never broke 2:00.00. Clearly you never raced the Olympic at Esprit !!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hydrosloth wrote:

There's probably lots, but the first that comes to mind:
  • Shave my legs.

• Plan very far ahead. Once, there was always races I wanted to do. I always used to have numerous triathlons on my race calendar, peaking at 20 tris one year.

• Cycle year round. In days of yore, I'd think nothing of resuming my weekly long ride a week after IM. Usually 160km to 200km followed by a run. The last couple of years, I'd reassemble my bike that had been boxed for 10 months, take it for a spin on a Friday evening before doing a ODTri on the Sunday, then roll up to IM about 6 weeks later.

TL:DR. For much of my life these days, when it comes to triathlon, IDGAF.
Last edited by: satanellus: Feb 26, 24 23:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Old enough to have raced Mike Pigg, Jimmy Riccitello, etc. (the wave after the Big4).

I no longer:

-Wear race t-shirts as a wardrobe staple

-Make homebrew bike parts (aerobars, wheel covers, aero helmets) and nutrition (bars, gels)

-Race every other weekend from May to September

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it would be more interesting to read what you still do: e.g.: still race in a speedo, still ride a softride etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironman
Ironman events
Triathlon club
Quote Reply
Re: Tri-Vets} You've been there, done that, and now __________ [laughingfarmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
laughingfarmer wrote:
I no longer race wearing a midriff singlet and a speedo for the whole race. I’m still thinking about the 3rd thing I’ve given up……

oh man, this!

when i was 18, i raced my first half. and did it in a speedo and a cropped singlet, as was the style at the time. honestly, i figured i looked like a pro, but afterward i had some mean thigh chafing and a sunburn all across my lower back.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Tri-Vets} You've been there, done that, and now __________ [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I no longer swim, cycle or run.

I do walk.

I play tennis with my 15yo son a couple of times a week. He kicks my butt but I'm now playing tennis ten times better than when I was his age, so that gives me some satisfaction in challenging myself at sport without racing triathlons.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will no longer:
  1. Wear a speedo for the entire Hawaii Ironman
  2. Run an Ironman marathon without socks
  3. Break 2 hours in an Oly (Desert Dude - my PR is 1.58 . . . many, many years ago)

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri-Vets} You've been there, done that, and now __________ [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I can't believe you never broke 2:00.00. Clearly you never raced the Olympic at Esprit !!!

hahaha that race I went 2:00:02, one of my first races in a pro/elite field when I was 18 or 19 and my 2nd year in the sport.

My oly PB is 1:54:12 which now is pretty stellar for oly racing but back in the early 90's sub 1:55 guys were 15+ to the dozen.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Tri-Vets} You've been there, done that, and now __________ [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
I will no longer:
  1. Wear a speedo for the entire Hawaii Ironman
  2. Run an Ironman marathon without socks
  3. Break 2 hours in an Oly (Desert Dude - my PR is 1.58 . . . many, many years ago)

we probably were racing each other that day!

We'll get you closer to that after the bike fit and aero testing. Email coming soon on that.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well we now have wetsuits for swimming unlike when I started so I wear a wetsuit when the rules allow it

I no longer wear a Speedo

We now have aero bars unlike when I started so I use them of course
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wear an Ironman hat in public.

Plan my seasons around Ironman events. Honestly local races are more fun.

No longer interested in crushing the AG. No longer looking at other guys legs to see if they are in my AG. I just want to finish and have fun post race,
Quote Reply
Re: Tri-Vets} You've been there, done that, and now __________ [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I guess that’s my third item: I no longer shave my legs (gave that up 17 years ago). Also, I no longer do any races over Olympic distance (gave up the long stuff 8 years ago). So now I’m up to 4 items!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I no longer:

1) Have trouble sleeping before any race.
2) Stress about missing a workout.
3) Research the results of people entered in my age group.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fun thread, and talk about the back door bragging; (-;

I raced Dave Scott and beat him, along with the other 3 of the big 4...

I no longer can break 1;50 for olympic distance, or 2 hours, or anytime, as I dont do that long of a race anymore. Dumped half and fulls when I turned 50, 18 years ago..Sprints are the new Ironmans baby!!!

I no longer train more than 10 hours a week(usually 3 to 6), almost never twice a day, and at most only 2 sports at a time now.

I no longer plan any races ahead of time, unless I'm ok with eating the fees. I train each day I can, and if I dont get sick or injured for 5 weeks straight, I look for a race to do in the next couple weeks before the inevitable niggle or illness. 5 weeks is all I need to be competitive, and the 50+years of muscle and brain memory of course...

Those are my big 3 No's, lots more of course, but still fighting the good fight at least...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. race on a tri-bike
all my races are small local courses, with plenty hills, turns, and random obstacles. I need a road bike to dodge the dangers.
2. compete
consider I've done well just to get to the start, finishing is the victory
3. buy race shoes
actually ran in Nike Alphafly 3s recently, improved my 4-mile pace from 11:30/mi to 11:10/mi. It don't matter anymore ;-)

started my swim life in a speedo, moved reluctantly to jammers in order to fit in with the rest of the US swimmers, now back in the speedo because I'm too old to care..
tri shorts are better for tris than speedos though..

"It is a good feeling for old men who have begun to fear failure, any sort of failure, to set a schedule for exercise and stick to it. If an aging man can run a distance of three miles, for instance, he knows that whatever his other failures may be, he is not completely wasted away." Romain Gary, SI interview
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) iron distance racing. Last one was 2013. Race entry costs are absurd now and the training is boring.

2) TT bike. I have a 10 year old bike sitting in a corner collecting dust, but I'll probably just race my roadie with clip-ons. I will likely never buy another TT bike unless it's an absolute steal.

3) Triathlon specific training. Now I just swim, bike, run, paddle, ski, whatever, whenever I want.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri-Vets} You've been there, done that, and now __________ [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
1) iron distance racing. Last one was 2013. Race entry costs are absurd now and the training is boring.

2) TT bike. I have a 10 year old bike sitting in a corner collecting dust, but I'll probably just race my roadie with clip-ons. I will likely never buy another TT bike unless it's an absolute steal.

3) Triathlon specific training. Now I just swim, bike, run, paddle, ski, whatever, whenever I want.

This more or less. We sold our TT bikes a few years back. Ran a few ultras. Bought a couple of new mountain bikes and gravel bikes. Think about the occasional off-road triathlon but just do what we feel like. Getting back to bike touring (at it was called before it became bike packing). Did a 6-day ride the other week, planning a 4-day ride over Easter, and riding the Munda Biddi track in Western Australia in May.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Tri-Vets} You've been there, done that, and now __________ [philipshambrook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good prompt!

1. Compare myself to others. I just do what works for me now.
2. Ride my bike on the road unless I have to. Got hit by a car once and that's it. Too many idiots driving on the road now. I do gravel and Zwift.
3. Signup for races way far in advance. Now, I play it by ear and see how my training is going and if I really want to race again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hydrosloth wrote:
Use your own definition of what a Tri-Vet is.

For some it may be "I raced against Dave Scott"

For others, "I raced against Drew Scott."

Here's the question.

I raced Chris Lieto, he won the IMC 2005 it was my first Ironman.
I raced his 2010 passed him walking in what I believe was his last triathlon.
I just raced his son Kaiden Lieto in Los Cabos 18 years later.

I don't take time away from other things to focus on racing.
I don't ever look at my volume numbers as a factor of fitness or performance.
I don't wake up early in the dark to train.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

1. Sport my Scott Tinley inspired stache! with complimentary mullet! I did beat my hero Scott Tinley on the swim of the 1993 Ironman Canada
2, Wear speedos throughout the competition (why did it take so long to invent jammers?)
3. Beat pro's out of water on the swim and seeing them at smaller events (I miss mass starts, where everyone including Pros started with us age-groupers)

Picture of me age 22, I am now 58 - Took 11 years off and got back into it at age 55. I LOVE doing local Olympic distance triathlons.

Quote Reply

Prev Next